mics that record sound on them

geoffsuke

Reaction score
heyup uu!!
in the summer, i'm off to greece to do some summer work. during that time, i know i will want to do some music vids of me playing out there. the way i have things set up at the moment is i have a camera which records to it's own hard drive and i use a condenser mic which ends up in the computer, when i come to edit the vid, i'll just import the audio file and match stuff up. the problem i'll have is that i won't be able to take my condenser mic out with me obviously.

so does anyone know of a mic that can record to itself??? like the camera, onto it's own harddrive????

peace :cheers: and beer

so does anyone know of a mic that can record to itself??? like the camera, onto it's own harddrive????
There's only one professional-quality mic I'm aware of that records to an internal flash drive. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but I do remember it's fairly expensive.

You're better off buying one of the portable flash recorders...anything from a Zoom to a PMD661 (or more) depending on your budget and size requirements.

Check out the Zoom H2 or Zoom H4.

H2
zoomh2.jpg

Basically a one-track field recorder. Really cool. Runs on AA batteries.

H4
3023_gd.jpg

Basically a multitrack field recorder. Runs on AA. On this one, you can either use the unit's mic (and it has some awesome models) or you can attach another mic (it has phantom power). I own this and I love it!

I used the H4 to record this. Just hit record and started playing! For a multitrack recording, check this out.

Since it has a USB connection, you can download your tracks to any computer. The H4 records mp3 or wav files; I think the H2 does both as well.

The H2 rocks. Snake Suspenderz uses it to record the "rehearsal tapes series."

You'll find them for free download on the music page of the Snake's site. Link is in my sig.

That link isn't working for me.

I've actually been looking at that very mic for myself, but I have yet to hear a sample of something recorded on one.

I've actually been looking at that very mic for myself, but I have yet to hear a sample of something recorded on one.
Check out Mark Nelson's review here:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html

It includes several samples along with a link (at the beginning) of a chart comparing various other recorders. (I don't think the chart includes the new H4n, an improved version of the H4 that is more rugged and has better specs.)

(FWIW, from a technical standpoint these aren't mics but rather portable recorders with built-in mics and the option for external mics.)

Last edited:
Check out Mark Nelson's review here:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html

It includes several samples along with a link (at the beginning) of a chart comparing various other recorders. (I don't think the chart includes the new H4n, an improved version of the H4 that is more rugged and has better specs.)

(FWIW, from a technical standpoint these aren't mics but rather portable recorders with built-in mics and the option for external mics.)

Thanks for the link, cpatch. The H2 sounds like just what I'm looking for.

(FWIW, I'll be calling it a portable recorder from now on.)

the way i have things set up at the moment is i have a camera which records to it's own hard drive and i use a condenser mic which ends up in the computer, when i come to edit the vid, i'll just import the audio file and match stuff up. the problem i'll have is that i won't be able to take my condenser mic out with me obviously.

Couldn't you just get an decent-but-not-too-expensive mic and plug it into the video camera? Or does the camera not accept external mics?

JJ

There's only one professional-quality mic I'm aware of that records to an internal flash drive. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but I do remember it's fairly expensive.
For those gearheads reading this, here's the mic that DOES record sound on it:

http://www.hhb.co.uk/flashmic/

Obviously geared towards professional ENG applications, it sells for around US$1,000.

Top Bottom