Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pono

Default Pono

As I'm just discovering the possibilities for someone who only began really, to play anything, at 61. To be able to play a really fine instrument as I go through that process of seeing what is possible for me to accomplish is a lifetime fantasy thrill. Pono has met my expectations, which I know were a little unreasonable at times as ukulele that thrills.

Andrew walked me through the purchase with a loving hand. If he's only in it for the money he sure has me fooled.

BTW I have two tenor Pono's strung in high and low g. One the low g is amazing. It's a cedar/macassar ebony strung with a combination of South Coast and Ko'olau strings. The other is a cedar/mahogany strung in high g with Worth Browns. This one is especially nice for finger picking.

These instruments are something I will be able to grow into for as far into the future as I can see. I love them more each time I play them.

Stringing my Pono ATD low G was a revelation. The results are rich. lush, juicy. That's when the instrument really won my heart.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

The Pono Pro Classic's are really great. It's surprising how much you get for what you pay, and they are very playable good sounding instruments. Enjoy.

I as well have my Pono Macassar/Cedar Tenor strung the same way in low G. At the recommendation of who else?.....Andrew at HMS.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes to the world of low-G. This ukulele truly sings.
    "Everyone I know who is into ukulele is crackers, so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

First off where is "sam13", we are 4 hours into a Pono thread and he has not chimed in yet. Must be held captive in a dark prison or in the hospital for him to not be going all gagag over Pono.

As Icelander knows I have the twin brother to his ET-PC and it is the nicest playing and sounding uke I own. I have mine strung reentrant with South Coast HM and a wound 3rd string, unbelievable sustain and bell like ringing tone. I've had it three weeks and all other ukes are sitting in the cases pouting and moaning that they don't get to come out and play.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I am pretty sure I posted this recently in another thread, but I have a Pono PKT-1 solid Koa tenor that is sublime. Recently I had taken it to Ko`olau to have them tidy up the pickup installation. John Kitakis (Owner of Ko`olau /Pono) happened to be there when I went to pick it up, and he said, "Hey, can I see that?" and I handed it over to him, he looked at it, and then said to the other guys in the shop, "This is the koa that we cut ourselves!" Then he said to me, "You got a real special limited run here, be sure to hang on to it." I replied that I was aware of that, and I really like my ukulele. I feel that my Pono is every bit as good as a Hawaiian K brand, made with solid Hawaiian Koa, final assembly and set up by Ko`olau in Hawaii, just built in Java. John Kitakis said it just got too expensive for them to keep doing them that way. I really lucked out!
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I liked my Pono so much I bought another one. My TE SB arrived yesterday.

Currently the AC has a high G but normally it wears low G. My other ukelele has a high G and I had never been able to compare the two, thus the temporary switch to reentrant on the Pono. The TE came with high G but the only spare sets I have for it are both low G so I guess we can see where that's headed.

All this Pono love! If you're not yet in the Pono family and would like to be. I have a brand new Pono Macassar Ebony with Spruce top that needs some Pono love (cut-away and slotted headstock). They only make a few Macassar Ebony ukes per year. I ordered this for me personally before I discovered that I much prefer concert size ukes. See link in m signature and/or PM me for details.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    I am pretty sure I posted this recently in another thread, but I have a Pono PKT-1 solid Koa tenor that is sublime. Recently I had taken it to Ko`olau to have them tidy up the pickup installation. John Kitakis (Owner of Ko`olau /Pono) happened to be there when I went to pick it up, and he said, "Hey, can I see that?" and I handed it over to him, he looked at it, and then said to the other guys in the shop, "This is the koa that we cut ourselves!" Then he said to me, "You got a real special limited run here, be sure to hang on to it." I replied that I was aware of that, and I really like my ukulele. I feel that my Pono is every bit as good as a Hawaiian K brand, made with solid Hawaiian Koa, final assembly and set up by Ko`olau in Hawaii, just built in Java. John Kitakis said it just got too expensive for them to keep doing them that way. I really lucked out!
    Boy would I love a look and hear at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander53 View Post
    Boy would I love a look and hear at that one.
    This old thing?
    MarciaBaila: http://youtu.be/WugvetMaoKQ
    Mahina O Hoku - Season 53 of the Ukulele: http://youtu.be/4TAC0PJFPyk
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Thread Information