SEASON 144: Play It Again, but Better

I know what your logic means. But I am going to have to lie down in a darkened room though.....wow ...my head spinneth in spinny directions......

bird’s eye view of my uke - I love to love (but my baby loves to dance) - Well, first off, I like the song much better on the Frink uke because it’s a much prettier sound. And I could see it well right-side up.
The revised song sounds more like a real lover’s lament. (The original seemed like a rocker’s reason to drink, though I do like the line “Cruel uke, give me my baby back” and the extended final chord.) The work you’ve done has added some nice structure to the song. I like the repetitive lyric phrases, and I love the non-strummed sections, striking the chords going up the neck with the chords. Yeah, baby, I think this song works now!

I love these comments, G:

Having a video to watch is a good base to start getting better. You can say, "Yes, that's the idea, but I've got a better idea now." I think just having done videos means you've tackled performance anxiety, which is really something for lots of us.

I understand but let me tell you about the OTHER side of this issue, the crippling problem of chronic complacency! My name is Alan and I am far too easy on myself when it comes to assessing the quality of a video. Here is what I tell myself. "I care about songs. I am happy if I've been able to sing a nice song today and if I think that someone might have enjoyed hearing it." Now, what's wrong with this picture is that some folks will not be able to hear the song for the gaffs or won't be able to make it past the first minute or so to hear the payoff final verse and triumphant chorus.

When that happens a puppy dies and a song doesn't get it's wings.

Here may be a worthy goal. If I look at the stats on my (now 666...scary) videos, I see that the average time spent on one of them is around a minute. That is not too uncommon but it does indicate that I haven't done a good job of engaging some 2/3 of my viewers given the somewhat standard 3 minute tune.

SO, a goal for me could be to take a look at individual videos that I've tried various things in producing like, I don't know, double checking for fluffed words, notes or chords maybe then checking to see if those new and improved videos have improved in the time viewed over my average.

If you watch a video immediately after you do it , you might say, "I think that's okay,", whereas watching it some months later can make you see some specific change you can make, like "I was really off the beat at the end of that line; I'll start counting it out in my head."

And this brings up something my songwriting coach tells me. "When you're through with a song put it aside completely for a few days and then see if you like it as well after the break." I'm looking forward to this week and already have a project in the works with a dear friend.

Thanks Ginny and fellow Seasonistas!

alan, i agree there is something to be said for very polished, or more polished vids, but there is also a lot to be said for just sharing a song with your seasons pals as soon as you can get it going, stopping at the first take that you can get through the song all the way to the end without the wheels falling off completely, and maybe you're in your pyjamas, and you haven't even combed your hair. i love those kinds of vids. heck i even love 'em when other people than me do them! :)

alan, i agree there is something to be said for very polished, or more polished vids, but there is also a lot to be said for just sharing a song with your seasons pals as soon as you can get it going, stopping at the first take that you can get through the song all the way to the end without the wheels falling off completely, and maybe you're in your pyjamas, and you haven't even combed your hair. i love those kinds of vids. heck i even love 'em when other people than me do them! :)

I love my Sunday morning, fell out of bed, seen the new theme, record before I've woken up sort of thing.

I've Sussed out a couple of songs, both of which were a real struggle at the time where there are things I would differently now - and hopefully, better.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll get them done as I've picked up a rotten cold and am not feeling to good just now - and my voice is somewhat hoarse to boot.

OK - Dickadcock introduced me to the group Brown Bird thinking I would enjoy their work and of course he was right (aren't these seasons great!).
When my brother Ivan came over last week I made him do the Brown Bird song Fingers to the Bone with me.
He would have loved to do a few more takes but I stuck to my one take rule.
But the song relies heavily on the bass part so that is what I have added here on top of the recording Ivan and I made last week.
I am a novice bass player probably about a month or so into giving it a real go. So I feel the same apprehension sharing my efforts as new uke players.
I have been working on this for a few hours. Not sure it improves the original and the bass is best heard with headphones.
Here is the vid done last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-fc_g8G1Ms
Here it is with the bass part.

And please if you haven't heard the original please have a listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWmok50QLk

I love my Sunday morning, fell out of bed, seen the new theme, record before I've woken up sort of thing.

Yes, indeed, there is Seasons Goodness in sharing quickly songs that come to mind for the theme, especially if you are allowed many entries for a week. This is a good thing.

And there is Uking Development Goodness in working on a song for a while. This can be practicing through the week before posting, or it can be continuing to play the song for yourself after the Season is over. (See Ryan's open-mic song that had originally been a Seasons song.) This is a good thing too.

Seasonistas are a diverse group, and their intentions are diverse too. This is the main good thing.

I've Sussed out a couple of songs, both of which were a real struggle at the time where there are things I would differently now - and hopefully, better.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll get them done as I've picked up a rotten cold and am not feeling to good just now - and my voice is somewhat hoarse to boot.

I hope you feel better soon, Geoff. I'm looking forward to your contribution.

pabrizzer - Fingers to the Bone - First, congratulations on taking up a new instrument! I think you said it had been your father’s, and it’s a good sound to add to your family’s musical parties. The bass line really gives that song depth, so it's a notable improvement to the performance. Your fingers have to move fast on that fretless fretboard to keep us with the lively rhythm of the song (which has beautiful singing, by the way).

mythinformed, please edit your posts to list the links to your originals. I can't comment on your improvement otherwise.
Please see post 5 Ginny.

If you want to see any archive of mine for direct comparative judging then I will have to be excluded from this season 'cos they don't exist sorry.

Last edited:

This is where I am struggling BEV - I am a 'roll outta bed and record' (not literally) type of person because work, 5 kids and cooking duties takes up the majority of my time. The interesting thing is sometimes I feel like I am cheating because I am just throwing something together. I don't think they are all together bad, but beyond playing, singing and recording - these little embellishments escape me.

Please see post 5 Ginny.
If you want to see any archive of mine for direct comparative judging then I will have to be excluded from this season 'cos they don't exist sorry.

Myth, I never saw the original posts that you have deleted, so I can't make a comparison, which is this week's theme.
But I see in your youtube channel that you have Dream a Little Dream of Me from week 139...would you consider working on that for a few days and post both as your 144 entry? I'd enjoy seeing what improvements you make from the original.

This is where I am struggling BEV - I am a 'roll outta bed and record' (not literally) type of person because work, 5 kids and cooking duties takes up the majority of my time. The interesting thing is sometimes I feel like I am cheating because I am just throwing something together. I don't think they are all together bad, but beyond playing, singing and recording - these little embellishments escape me.

BigDaddy, playing improvement need not be embellishments and ornamentation—that is for an upper level of playing.

I consider that I've improved if I can smoothly change chords without looking, if I can keep the beat without a flicker in my eye that shows I'm counting, if I can sing the melody exactly. I'm really happy to have moved from Beginning Player to Beginning Intermediate Player. All improvement is worth noting!

Yes, indeed, there is Seasons Goodness in sharing quickly songs that come to mind for the theme, especially if you are allowed many entries for a week. This is a good thing.

And there is Uking Development Goodness in working on a song for a while. This can be practicing through the week before posting, or it can be continuing to play the song for yourself after the Season is over. (See Ryan's open-mic song that had originally been a Seasons song.) This is a good thing too.

Seasonistas are a diverse group, and their intentions are diverse too. This is the main good thing.

Well said.

Here is my Season 88 The Garden Song. It was my 2nd entry to the seasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvz1A1UY-w

I love this song so I play it often. Whenever someone asks me to play something. So I felt like it would be okay to post it today (on my day off).
Season 144 - The Garden Song

I also borrowed a friend's uke which was interesting since it felt very different than mine.

I am working on another one that might show more growth - I just hope I have time... I think this is a great theme, Ginny, and I was just looking at my old vids and thinking I might be a little better. I have attended a workshop and had a few Skype lessons with Stu Fuchs, joined a Uke jam, and entered the seasons every week (but one) since the first of 2014. All has helped but UU has kept me interested where I might have stopped learning new things. I will never be a pro, but it is fun and challenging!

I'm depressed. I looked at my old entries and I think I'm getting worse, not better. good grief.
update, ok, maybe a little improvement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom