Today's Chuckle

A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog.
It's a Shitzu.

My wife left me because I'm insecure. No wait, she's back.
She just went to get coffee.

I tried to catch fog yesterday, mist.

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much but the reception was excellent.

"Doc, I can't stop singing the 'Green Green Grass of Home.'"
"That sounds like Tom Jones Syndrome."
"Is it common?"
Well, "It's not Unusual."

You are a blackjack gum older than I... but then, I may have just forgot it.
There was Black Jack, Beeman’s, Teaberry, and Clove (very powerful, made Dentyne look like a wimp). My favorite was Beeman’s. Absolutely could not stand Juicy Fruit.

Edit: @Joe T and @TerryM got here first!

Further edit: I apparently can’t type and think about chewing-gum at the same time!

Last edited:
There was Black Jack, Beeman’s, Teaberry, and Clove (very powerful, made Dentyne look like a wimp). My favorite was Beeman’s. Absolutely could not stand Juicy Fruit.

Edit: @Joe T and @TerryM got here first!

Further edit: I apparently can’t type and think about chewing-gum at the same time!
You oldies but goodies had it good for a nickel!🎶

01. Candy cigarettes And Bubble Gum Cigars
02. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
03. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles.
04. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes The DeLuxe Restaurant.
05. Blackjack chewing gum
06. Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers. And milk boxes in the side of the house
07. Party lines. A lady on our party-line's a nosy thing - She picks up her receiver when she knows it'smy ring.
08. Newsreels before the movie.
09. P. F. Flyers I was convinced they made me run faster.
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix .. (Drexel-5505) Ma-70913 (Mayfair)
12. Peashooters.
13. Howdy Doody & Buffalo Bob
14. 78 RPM Records Little Richard and Chuck Berry
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi’s with 16, 33, 45 and 78 rpm
17. Metal ice cube trays, with levers
18. Mimeograph paper smelled so good MMMMM!
19. Blue flash Bulbs
20. Beanie and Cecil
21. roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins The Port Hope Drive In is still in operation.
24. Studebakers My parents' first car.
20 Kingsmount N.jpg

25. Washtub wringers

Last edited:
Never had a cork popgun—both my sister and I had metal toy guns that popped, though. You fed into them strips of paper that had little pea-sized deposits of gunpowder. As you fired, the strip advanced and the hammer in the gun would hit the next lump of gunpowder. What a gorgeous smell that was!

When the gun stopped working or had a paper jam, we could always put the paper strips on the sidewalk and hit the lumps with a rock. Same effect. I can still recall that smell.

PS: Never had a peashooter either. And never saw newsreels at the movies—just cartoons before the “feature” started.

PPS: Our phone number was CH (for Cherry) 4-5748.

Last edited:
Never had a cork popgun—both my sister and I had metal toy guns that popped, though. You fed into them strips of paper that had little pea-sized deposits of gunpowder. As you fired, the strip advanced and the hammer in the gun would hit the next lump of gunpowder. What a gorgeous smell that was!

When the gun stopped working or had a paper jam, we could always put the paper strips on the sidewalk and hit the lumps with a rock. Same effect. I can still recall that smell.

PS: Never had a peashooter either. And never saw newsreels at the movies—just cartoons before the “feature” started.

Great memory and memories Patty. I too use to love the smell of "caps" , gunpowder. They should have a gunpowder scented candle. :giggle:

06. Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers. And milk boxes in the side of the house
1679529805361.png
The 1955 house we just bought has one...

20. Beanie and Cecil

I have the complete run on commercial VHS tapes...
25. Washtub wringers

I have one of these sitting in a storage locker...

Jeez, I'm old!

Then there was that other sidewalk pleasure—playing “jacks.” This will mean nothing to the men out there, unless they had sisters.

The game involved a set of little metal (or plastic) thingies like atomic starbursts, plus a little hard rubber ball. Depending on how many thingies you picked up & accumulated while your ball was on the bounce, you achieved “onesies … twosies … threesies” etc.

We called these toys 'cap guns' and the red strips of paper with the gunpowder dots were the 'caps'. I remember how puzzled I was when my best friend, Mark Bauman, boasted to me that he had managed to buy '5000 caps!' I was confused, thinking only of baseball caps and couldn't figure out why anyone in their right mind needed, or could afford, that many hats. He was talking about a big bag of ammunition for his cap pistol.

Top Bottom