Internal Revenue 'Service'
U.S. Postal 'Service'
Telephone 'Service'
Cable TV 'Service'
Civil 'Service'
State, City, County & Public 'Service'
Customer 'Service'

This is what I thought 'Service' meant.

But today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had hired a bull to 'Service' a few cows.
BAM !!! It all came into focus. Now I understand what all those agencies are doing.

I hope that you are now just as enlightened as I am.

This string walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a beer. The bartender says "I can't serve you, you're just a string." The string thanks him and leaves the bar. He goes out back and ties himself into a knot and unwinds his fibers at the ends. He walks back into that bar and asks the bartender for a beer, and the bartender looks at him and says "aren't you that string that was just in her trying to buy a beer?" The string says "No, I'm a frayed knot."

When I worked for Northwestern Bell back in the dayO
This string walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a beer. The bartender says "I can't serve you, you're just a string." The string thanks him and leaves the bar. He goes out back and ties himself into a knot and unwinds his fibers at the ends. He walks back into that bar and asks the bartender for a beer, and the bartender looks at him and says "aren't you that string that was just in her trying to buy a beer?" The string says "No
ILER][/SPOILER]

I'm so old that the phone company use to give us green pills that I still cannot identity to this day. Pain headache, whatever, they world try to keep you on the job. They world cure everything. Greenies! I've tried looking it up online many times over the decades but could never identify what it was. Anyway, that was back when 411 was a real thing and I would have to try to sell call-waiting! I spent 18 months doing 411 information, and the only phone that rang at home was an old fashioned landline...

Today at 12:26 AM
Mattie K said:
I'm so old that the phone company use to give us green pills that I still cannot identity to this day. Pain headache, whatever, they world try to keep you on the job. They world cure everything. Greenies! I've tried looking it up online many times over the decades but could never identify what it was. Anyway, that was back when 411 was a real thing and I would have to try to sell call-waiting! I spent 18 months doing 411 information, and the only phone that rang at home was an old fashioned landline...

At least in the USA, "greenies" were amphetamines and they were used extensively in Major League Baseball.

Those under age 50 may not get the context even if you've endured the manufacturer's incessant TV ads. This original ditty is for everyone else:
ODE TO THE CUBICAL CARDBOARD CONTAINER
Leaving the UPS Store, I felt justly proud.
‘One more box checked!’ I mentally allowed.

The following morning, vague anxiety set in.
Worried, I strode to the rubbish bin.

That nagging fear was affirmed with one look,
At the top of Page 3 in the instruction book.

I silently cursed myself. 'What a dumb, careless git!'.

I’d left the name sticker off my bucket of xxxt.
Cheers!
Clark

Last edited:
At least in the USA, "greenies" were amphetamines and they were used extensively in Major League Baseball.
That’s what the pills MattieK is describing were, too. I have family who worked for Pacific Bell and says those pills were infamous.

Sorry for my typos. I need a computer to try to get past swype texting!
OMG, do you have a "smart" phone with a dumb text that guesses? I know there is voice activated text that reads like a three day drunk typed it. For some phones you can get a keyboard that plugs into the phone some way.

A few months ago, a former girl friend tried to get back in my life. With her work schedule she never gets a day off and she's on call. That makes things near impossible. Throw in that she liked to call me late every night, and insisted on her voice text, not talking! She can talk to the phone but not me?

I have a flip phone so texting is slow and makes my finger sore! After a month of that I sent my last text telling her to forget it. I never once saw her the whole month (she texted me a selfie, wow) I wanted to hear her, not read her. She got POed and blocked my number. Oh well, I blocked her back. Not a peep for three weeks.

What is it about texting? Remember the cartoon of a couple texting each other across a table at McDonald's?

We have this weird job connection. We both drove buses. You worked for Northwestern Bell. My passed wife worked for Bell Atlantic / Verizon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom