Guide bushings problem with new Kala

ukadelic jeff

Reaction score
I bought a new Kala Ukadelic soprano it has geared tuners as I was wiping it down I seen that the guide bushings were starting to come out of the headstock. I don't think that's a problem I should be having on a uke that's about 2 weeks old. I don't know if I should return it for a replacement or repair it. If anybody has any suggestion on a repair please share it. The only thing I can thank of is to remove the tuners glue the guide bushings with an epoxy so their seated in straight and then reinstall the tuners.

Last edited:
A picture might help. I mean are the tuners so lose they are falling out? I don't see how the bushing moved with the strings on, maybe they were installed incorrectly?

guide bushing photo

DSC02514[1].jpg Here's a pic of what is going on it not each time I play but over time this is what happens. Kala said there floating and if I didn't want them floating I could gule them in with super glue. I feel they should fit snug enough and with the strings tight and in tune they should not be doing this. The E string is the worse and the tuner isn't centered in the hole so the bushing doesn't set flush to start with. I could take the tuner off fill the mounting holes & remount it to where it is centered that may fix the problem. The G & C tuners had to be pushed back in too there not as bad but still they don't stay seated either.

Last edited:
That's interesting because the bushings on my Ohana TK-38 are a little tipped out also. I decided to keep playing the uke to see what would happen. So far they haven't gotten worse.

guide bushing photos

DSC02519.jpgDSC02521.jpgHere are photos of the uke with the bushing removed. You can see the tuner is not centered and the hole is out of round I don't know if the pressure from the tuning post pressing on the bushing made the hole out of round or if it was do from the factory to get the bushing to fit.

Attachments

• DSC02522.jpg
    DSC02522.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 31
Only two weeks old, can you swap for another one? Mine was used so it's a fix or live with it for me.

KKimura I don't think they should come out at all but on my Kala the E string tuner is not even centered which makes it worse the first time I seen it the bushing was at least 1/2 out or more. The others were slight. I watched a video on changing tuners and on cheaper uke they had to pry them out using a small screw driver. That's seem like how it should be & not for them to come out just from playing.

KKimura I don't think they should come out at all but on my Kala the E string tuner is not even centered which makes it worse the first time I seen it the bushing was at least 1/2 out or more. The others were slight. I watched a video on changing tuners and on cheaper uke they had to pry them out using a small screw driver. That's seem like how it should be & not for them to come out just from playing.

Jeff, I agree 100%. I'm hoping the place you got the Kala will exchange it for a good one or refund your money.

I have to send photos to Kala to see what they say. If I were to glue them it would have to be glue that I could remove them without causing damage but strong enough to keep it from coming out. The Ukulele list for around 115.00 & sell between 80 to 90.00. I got it for a great price out with the old stock and in with the new. But for a uke that started out over 100.00 you would think the quality and control would be better. Might just be 1 in a 1000 that I got one with a problem.

The ukedellic Mexican is all over eBay for $30 or so I wouldn't expect the $30 versions to be first pick.

Something is broken with the tuner itself would be my guess. The shaft looks bent. If you cannot get another ukulele in replacement I would look into a better set of tuners as a fix. I mean is the gear falling off the back? I cant see the post moving otherwise.

dunno

EDIT: Before glue I might just try wrapping a piece of paper around the grommet before pushing it into the headstock.

Good Luck

Last edited:
the E string tuner is not even centered

Ahh just read this you should ask for a replacement. Its sounding like they put the grommet in and when they put the tuner in, it shifted down forcing the post up at an angle. Of course thats why it could have been so cheap.

If its what I imagine and you're not going to bother or spend more money on shipping I would fill the holes with glue and toothpicks and properly center the post. I wouldn't glue the grommets in.

Stock was only 3 when I got mine so I don't know if they would have anymore in stock and the one I got was cheaper then the other ukadelic ukulele's with the themes. So I don't know if they would exchange it out with one with a the Texas flag or others if they have no more Mexican flag themes uke's in stock. For some reason same uke different theme and the price is higher.

It was listed as new no a or b grade nothing like that and they had 3 or 4 in stock when I got it. Their is no grade mark on the headstock. It wasn't listed as a factory blem. I think it's just one that got through production and out the door. If you seen the photo you will see the hole isn't round so if I move the tuner the guide bushing will more then likely even have a looser fit because the tuning post won't be putting pressure on it so I may have to glue it. Frist I'm going to see if I can exchange it at no cost. I shouldn't have to pay anything it's a manufacture defect.

Last edited:
The tuner is good and works but it was not centered in the hole when they screwed the tuner to the headstock so I think they enlarged the hole to get the bushing to fit or they forced it in and caused the damage to the hole things were not lined up how they should have been.. The $30.00 version is the same ukadelic ukulele that was listed at 120.00 by Kala when they came out just as all of the ukadelic line of uke's. I think it was just the one that was not a good seller due to the Mexican flag theme but not built any cheaper then any other Kala ukadelic ukulele. It's all wood with rosewood finger board & bridge geared tuners Aquila strings. On Kala's 2011 NAMM video the owner of Kala stated the retail price was 120.00 and in the background showing the ukadelic line up was the same uke I have along with all of the ukadelic ukuleles. It's like that one ugly color car on a car lot they can never sell so they reduce the price more then on all the others to try and sell it. The price is why I bought the Mexican Flag and my wife was not going to let me spend more to just get the same uke with a different theme.

Last edited:
Well if you bought with paypal you're covered by paypal buyer protection and should at least be able to get your money back as its really not a playable instrument. This wife not letting you spend money is quite a foreign concept to me. I would suggest if spending an extra $30-$50 dollars isn't in your budget for a different design maybe make it in your budget and buy a slightly better model Kala uke from a reputable dealer. I would suggest a KA-SEM, your ears will thank you. There are also many new and slightly used ukes all the time for great deals in the marketplace.

Just because Kala lists that uke at $120 I have honestly not seen a ukadelic over $69 in a very longtime now. If you cant send it back or you'll end up spending more on shipping that its worth then fix it however you can. Its an inexpensive ukulele and can still be fun with a glued grommet.

Have you seen the thread with the mod podged ukulele?

~Good Luck~

If remember correctly, the Makala dolphins I had has plastic bushings that we so loose they moved around.
sounds like they drilled the holes too big on yours. it is a relatively inexpensive uke and you have 3 solutions. glue them in with a mild glue,fill the hole and redrill,
or send it back for a replacement, which is what I'd try.

Working on sending it back. It's playable I just have to push the bushing back in and keep the tuning checked on the e the others stay in tune very well. If I had paid full price for it I would not be happy at all. I know what you are saying about list cost I don't feel it's 120.00 ukulele even without a problem. I did use paypal and I bought it from Austin Bazaar music I contacted them today. We have a local music store where I live and all they had was Diamond Head ukuleles which were only 2 or 3 dollars less then the Kala. If my uke didn't have the problem I feel it's worth what I bought if for so if they replace it I'll be happy with it. Later on I will get a nicer uke more then likely a tenor size. And my budget is low due to health problems I'm on disability and fixing to have my 6th surgery so I had to find a deal and I thought the Kala was a good deal and a step up from the everyday 40.00 entry level uke's I wasn't willing to add 20 or 30.00 to buy a different theme ukadelic if I had 30.00 more dollars I wouldn't even bought a Kala ukadelic I would have looked for something better even in the Kala brand. (strumsilly) Mine does have the metal bushing there are some I seen last night on ebay that have plastic bushing on the ukadelic ukes as well. If they won't replace it I will fix it but it should be covered under the warranty.

There is something strange here. You indicate you have metal bushings and an oversized out of round hole. The manufacturer indicated you should use superglue on this? I think you should contact the CEO at KALA, Mike Upton RE: Customer Service/QA ( contact@kalabrandmusic.com.) and make your case directly to him.

Well Austin Bazaar is saying I need to go through Kala since I contacted them with the issue of my ukulele. She said she didn't know if they still have them in stock and she checked but never gave me the answer if they did. Then she said I might could send it back to them and then they will send it to Kala & Kala can send me a new one. I read their return policy and I'm in my rights to return it as a defect and I checked on their online web site and they still have them in stock and there is no reason they shouldn't exchange it for me. By their policy I have 45 days.

I called and Kala had closed for the day for a meeting and will reopen Monday. I sent an email with the pics I posted above if you look thru this I posted pics should be on page 1.

Top Bottom