Beginner: Ohana SK-35G or SK-50WG?

neutronrobot

Reaction score
I've only been playing the uke for a few weeks and I was hoping to get some opinions about these two Ohana models.
I've played guitar for a long time and picked up a Ohana SK-10S because it was only $50 and gave me a chance to see if I wanted to learn the Uke or not.

Anyway now I'm a bit obsessed and already want to upgrade to a nicer sounding instrument.

I guess my question is which would be the better "go-to" uke for a beginner? The SK-35g is more traditional and I like that it's Mahogany. The SK-50WG looks nicer and is unique, but I wonder how the willow and cedar will sound over time (maybe better, maybe worse?).

Anyway I'm sure I'll buy many more models and sizes down the line but I'm looking for opinions from people who've played or own both of these instruments.

I'm a new player, who bought the SK-50WG on MGM's advice a little over a month ago, just before the review referenced above appeared. So far I am very pleased with the instrument. You can get some very sweet, musical tones out of it. The action seems good, although I have seen a few ukes at bit lower at the twelfth fret. I like the way it looks.

Obviously, having very little experience I cannot judge it in comparison with other ukes, but I am a satisfied owner.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Yes, I did watch Ken Middleton's review which in some ways led to my indecision about this.

He gives it a great review of the SK50-WG and it looks beautiful and sounds great, but I guess I was wondering if the SK-35g, being a more traditional wood and design, wouldn't be a better choice for my first "real" ukulele?

I'm probably over thinking this, but as this will be my second Uke purchase this month. I'm doubting if my wife will let me but another anytime soon!:)
I'll probably end up with both eventually...

I'm probably over thinking this, but as this will be my second Uke purchase this month. I'm doubting if my wife will let me but another anytime soon!:)
Just tell her it's an investment, and they'll probably hold their value better than your 401(k).

The SK-50WG is an interesting uke. The willow wood gives it a more mellow, warmer tone than the SK-35g has. I have both of them and will be writing a review of the SK-35g for Ukulele Player Magazine. I wrote the review of the SK-50WG for the second issue.

You can download the magazine FREE, so check out the reviews. I reviewed the CK-50g in the last issue. That is the concert-sized uke with rosewood back and sides and cedar top. All three are solid wood instruments, but they all have different voices.

The link to the magazine is in my signature.

After reading your review and talking to MGM, I think I'm going to get the SK-50WG. He seemed to think it had a fuller and louder sound than the SK-35G possibly because of the larger body.

I only hope my playing is worthy of it's looks!

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

I also have a SK-50WG and i would absolutely recommend it to your goodself.I also saw Ken's review and decided that it was the one for me.Punchy and LOUD.It's a pleasure to play,i am more of a sound person than looks but,cedar and willow looks even better in the wood(flesh)than the picture's suggest.

Top Bottom