Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My opinion on Aquila vs. Worth strings

Default My opinion on Aquila vs. Worth strings

Hey gang! I'm new to the forum and expect this topic has been beat to death, but thought I'd chime in with my opinion.

Aquila NylGut ... over-rated, and none of my ukes will see them again. I found them stiff, and they quickly lost their sustain.

Worth Clear and Brown (mediums) ... love 'em. I've had subtly different results vs. the two ... depending on which uke I put them on. Tried both on my new Kala solid spruce / figured maple concert (I love this 'lil uke by the way) and I think I like the tone of the brown better.

Also tried both on my Kala travel soprano ... and I believe I like the clears better ... a bit punchier on this sweet little instrument.

Last night, on my Lanikai LM-TCA tenor, I replace low-G Aquila's (the set that has 2 wound strings) with a set of Worth low-G browns (all strings are fluorocarbon, i.e., none wound ... and WOW! I've never heard this uke sound SO sweet! I'll try the clear version of these too for comparison, but if they beat the tone of the browns, I'd be surprised, pleasantly surprised as I'd be improving on something that is already awesome. I really like that none of the strings are wound ... always sounded my guitar-like to me.

So, I'm a Worth believer. If you haven't tried them, please do! And experiment with clear vs. brown ... they are different.

I'd love to hear feedback from those who've tried Worth, and prefer Martins (I've heard good things about these as well)

Thanks for listening...carry on.

Just for balance. I tried Worth Browns and didn't like them but I'm new to ukulele. They sounded nice but I didn't like the feel. Mostly have used Aquila Supernylgut but have reds on the tenor and am most impressed by the sound and the sustain of the latter. Currently I'm trying to resist the onset of SAS and plan to stick with what I have for the next year or so.

You will also hear good justifiably things about South Coast, Living Waters, Savarez and others, and there was a recent thread in which people discussed filing systems for string sets!
    Maybe one day when I can play well enough I'll try some others but...

Also new, and recently made the switch to worth clears on my mainland cedar. Won't go back to the aquilas, they felt rough and scratchy compared to the worths. Sound is more clear and focused on the worths as well, though I'll give the aquilas having a more rounded tone, and seem to be very durable.

I've got a mainland mango coming on Tuesday - contemplating either putting a pack of martins on them I have lying around, or ordering some worth browns to experiment.

I'm a fluorocarbon believer too. Didn't care for D'Addario Nyltechs (which are supposed to be pretty similar to Nylguts) on my (bought used) soprano Flea ... I suspect the strings it came with were Nylguts, possibly original (not new) Nylguts. I liked those better than the Nyltechs, but loved the Martin M600's ... until my worn fretboard snapped one. Magic Fluke replaced the fretboard, and strung it with Fremont Black Lines, which I love even more than the Martins.

Those are all I've tried so far, so I too am eager to hear from folks who've compared the Martins to Worths, LW's, or other higher-end strings.
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

Is a "non argument". There are instruments that Worth sounds better on, and there are instruments that Aquila sounds better on. "Better" is pretty subjective to begin with. I had some worth clears on a mahogany soprano I couldn't get off fast enough, and a mahogany tenor I couldn't get Aquila's off soon enough. No such thing as one string sounds best on all. If overgeneralize, you will miss out on trying strings that may well make your uke sound way better. Just my take on it.

I'll second what Phil said. I had Aquilas on a mahogany tenor that I took off, mostly because of a prejudice against them. Tried three other kinds of strings, including Worth browns. None sounded great, so I put the Aquilas back on, and they sound the best of the four I tried. On the other hand, I have another mahogany tenor that sounds great with the Worth browns. There are so many variables at play that unbiased experimentation seems to be required to find the right combination for any instrument.

Great point, Phil and Gary. I won't write off Aquila's on future ukes. And, I'm anxious to try the Martins ... may wake things up even more...on certain ukes. It was interesting to get such different results with different ukes and strings. Sort of like "these laminated sides prefer this ... this solid spruce top prefers this, but only if the sides are maple" I believe many would benefit from experimenting a bit ... I know I did ... amazing how different an instrument can sound with different strings ... guitars too for that matter.

Funny, I used to love Aquilas, then disliked them...
    ...now I like them again!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul December View Post
    Funny, I used to love Aquilas, then disliked them...
    ...now I like them again!
    For me it was just the opposite!

Somewhat on topic, but what tension of worth strings would be the equivalent to the aquilas? I have the medium tension clears on my mainland, and I definitely feel they are more tense than the aquilas. If I liked the sound of the worth, but wanted a lighter touch similar to the aquilas, would I try the worth lights?

Thread Information