Strange thread regarding Rick Turner Guitar Company

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does that mean ukes are easier since they've built ukes in the last 2 years?

I guess it means the uke's were not built by the best builder who has not been able to work since the accident. ANd not built by Rick because he is busy running the business and can't get back into the shop.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long this thread would last, but it would seem that the OP should be happier now. My sympathies to the luthier who broke his arms.

I posted a reply in the original thread that this guy posted, as his first post on this forum and he subsequently sent me PM's.

No where in his first post, OR in his personal messages did he mention that Rick's guitar builder had been in an accident and the company hadn't built any guitars since.

I'm sure he knew, this was critical information that this guy withheld in his attempt to garner support to pressure Rick.

SLIMEY.

Anthony

Good reason/Bad reason, who cares after 3 years...
...Why not just return the $$$$ and be done with it :confused:

Good reason/Bad reason, who cares after 3 years...
...Why not just return the $$$$ and be done with it :confused:

I believe that he didn't want his money back. He was trying to put pressure on Rick for Rick to build the guitar personally. For whatever reasons, Rick wasn't prepared to personally build the guitar. The guy was just spinning us a tale in order to pressure Rick.

Anthony

I posted a reply in the original thread that this guy posted, as his first post on this forum and he subsequently sent me PM's.

No where in his first post, OR in his personal messages did he mention that Rick's guitar builder had been in an accident and the company hadn't built any guitars since.

I'm sure he knew, this was critical information that this guy withheld in his attempt to garner support to pressure Rick.

SLIMEY.

Anthony

Unbelievable. Love how you assume that he told me the person broke his arms and, I guess, I'm just doing all this for my own pleasure? If I already knew, why would the person who wrote the email even bother explaining it to me? And why would I get an email from a person at his company in JULY 2014 saying they were about to send pictures.

You see only what you want to see.

And to be clear - I wrote you one personal message, you told me not to write you again or you threatened you'd seek legal action, and I didn't write you again.

If anyone wants to read what happened, you can look at the other forum referenced earlier, which was not immediately shut down like the moderators chose to do here.

I believe that he didn't want his money back. He was trying to put pressure on Rick for Rick to build the guitar personally. For whatever reasons, Rick wasn't prepared to personally build the guitar. The guy was just spinning us a tale in order to pressure Rick.

Anthony

Are you sure?
I skimmed the thread and thought he wanted either the guitar or the money, but preferred the former.

SLIMEY.

Anthony

Gee, you sure neglected a lot of very relevant and important information there yourself, sir. Including an enormous lapse in time before the customer was privy to that information. Slimey? You have to be joking or else you have not read that thread with even a cursory degree of diligence. As for the person making a first post in such a way, you and I both started at zero remember. And when one is confronted with such extreme circumstances, what else is left for one to do but seek a lawyer (extremely costly) or the help of an online community with potentially helpful advice and experience. I do tend to agree with Paul on this one, though hindsight is a wonderful thing; in that an easier and earlier resolution for both parties would have been to refund the deposit. Difficult for the customer though in a situation of non-communication from one party.

The Knowledge that Ricks guitar builder was involved in an accident and was out of action was public knowledge on THIS forum when it happened.

The incredulous factor is rising.

Anthony

If nothing else, he was promised the finished guitar well before the guy had the accident. And that it was posted here doens't prove that it was posted on other forums as well.

Well the thread was here, but shut down. If the same person is seeking to build ukuleles I think it might be diligent to post this information here. (information is not lame)
If the mods here shut down the same thread, that says to me it's not allowed. So to start another one on the same topic just seems... inappropriate.

The Knowledge that Ricks guitar builder was involved in an accident and was out of action was public knowledge on THIS forum when it happened.

The incredulous factor is rising.

Anthony

Yes, it sure is. Most of it in your direction. That is but one piece of a larger puzzle that was ongoing before such time as that happened or the customer was made aware of it. Seriously man, what planet are you on.

3. Do you have any pics or sound samples of your ukes? I saw a couple of Ogata's at the Roy Sakuma Festival a couple years back and they were beautiful.

I don't have any recent sound samples. I know there are a few pics around here somewhere. My ukes are pretty plain jane compared to some of his highly figured ones.

They are a little quirky, but I do like them a lot and have not been able to find anything I would buy to replace them. I hope to one day get Keith to make one more that has a traditional, hole on soundboard, design but with a cut away, and a wide thin neck like his earlier ones.

John

If the mods here shut down the same thread, that says to me it's not allowed. So to start another one on the same topic just seems... inappropriate.

And if it still seems inappropriate to them, they will likely shut this one down but new information has arisen. ( I dint start this thread and I assume I am allowed to post here as long as it is open.)

The last thread was closed before the person being accused was able to to respond to accusations I think this would be a good place for him to do so.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the differences between the two membership's responses to the OP's threads, both here and on the gearpage forum. Most here are quick to defend "one of our own" without knowing all of the facts. On the other forum most came to the defense of the OP. And to be fair, he was a first time poster there as well. If you take the time to read the whole thread on the other forum, which is lengthy to say the least, Rick has been lambasted. I am not saying which is right or who is right, just pointing out a difference in outlooks.

And I got a chuckle about the anti-ukulele comments. I took them to be in jest, and by now surely we have grown thicker skin regarding put downs from guitar players.:)

Just a note that previous thread was closed not because of the topic but because of the tone of some of the replies.

Remember the Golden Rule of these forums: Don't Be a Jerk

Debate is always welcome, as long as it is reasoned, respectful, and undertaken with the "aloha spirit" that has become the proud hallmark of the ukulele community.

Thanks!

JJ

That respect was clearly evident in the amount he was willing to pay for an instrument. Try walking a mile in his shoes.

That respect was clearly evident in the amount he was willing to pay for an instrument. Try walking a mile in his shoes.
It is also obviously evident in the way that he praises the broken guitar he got as a "loaner" on the other thread. THis guy has respect for Ricks Work, it is the lack of work that receives a lack of respect.
PS I think the post you are replying to got removed.

He said, she said, we said. Then they said, it said, and then Chuck said what Jim said and everyone said that what Jim said was not what Chuck said. Then on Facebook and Instagram, they all said exactly what he said, but on UU and GuitarCentral he said that what they said was not what he said. In the end we all concluded that whatever was said, was not what he said initially but Jim still said he thought he knew what Chuck said. Maybe that is enough said?

I love you Bill. That mate, is hilarious. What I said was what was said by other folks on another thread who had said what was said before that fellow said what he said when they said what he said was never said. But it was all said to be heresay anyway. :p

OMG!

Finally finished reading every post of the 24 pages worth on the thegearpage.net thread! I was transfixed! It's the most extraordinary story, isn't it?

I just love to see the variation in approach from different posters - on both sides of the argument. Some Zen, some vitriolic and spitting feathers!

Amazing how pretty much NONE of the RT apologists from the first few pages were ANYWHERE to be seen, after the apparent facts were revealed...but were, in typical internet style, all over the OP like a rash at the beginning.

I too (sort of) chuckled at the uke player comments - it's palpable the difference in character of the two instruments' forum members...

I wonder if this will have an effect on our community's love affair with CR ukes at all?

God, that was gripping. I feel SO sorry for the OP, though. Many of us know the thrill of anticipation of receiving a custom instument just for you...to have that dashed must be a major bummer.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom