Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you "un-musical" types take up the uke and learned it well?

my, friend, i can feel ya. i began this past sept. i still feel i'm not making any progress, but i'm not being honest with myself, i'm being impatient. my add is gnar gnar; and coupled with a slight ocd the perfectionism is also something i deal with. i am making progress. i try to play and watch and read at least daily. here's what i have been doing.

uncle rod's bootcamp: pick a key, might as well start with C. go through it and make notes on date and how you went through it. do the sheet a few times, and say the chords out loud as you read and finger them. at the end of each week, not progress, and move to next key, but in second week, include previous sheets.

UU: uu has some great great lessons, some free and some for university students, and aldrine is great and an awesome teacher. (i plan to go annual as soon as $ tree bears billbuds)

hms: aaron at the hawaii music supply is also fantastic with his instructionals

some of the vids i wathed 8-10, sometimes 20 times berfore something just clicked. it wasnt but last week, that the CAGFD system clicked. (still familiarizing with scales and their positions).

keep at it. art isn't absorbed through osmosis, and obsetvation alone only goes so far. perfection is the product of the squares of practice and persistance.
    Before you speak, before you act;
    imagine your mom, kid, and childhood idol are standing before you.
    Would you do/say the same thing?

Capitalization: the difference bewtween you helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and you helping your uncle jack off a horse.

You don't know what you don't know till you know you don't know it; the more you know, the more you realize how much you really don't.

Hey Redeye, Who uses the CAFGD system? I found Uncle Rod's CFGAD system worked well and spread it around to people who want to learn to play by ear. When I suggest it to Banjo Players I tell them to ignore the Key of F though.
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Quote Originally Posted by IamNoMan View Post
    Hey Redeye, Who uses the CAFGD system? I found Uncle Rod's CFGAD system worked well and spread it around to people who want to learn to play by ear. When I suggest it to Banjo Players I tell them to ignore the Key of F though.
    hey Iam,
    http://www.theukulelesite.com/free-resources
    scroll down to aaron's vid on uke theory. about 10 vids from the bottom of page.
    i found the ubc to be quite helpful. i found that i my fingers knew chords my brain did not with the ubc. i also began to 'see' the way some chords work together; the final chords of each key on the ubc are also common vamps. seeing the way the chords work together is helping me usnderstand the I, II, i,iii, 7th chord stuff that was klingon to me not too long ago.(still hella confused about that ish, but it's slowly making sense.)

i also forgot to mention a channel on the tubes; the fretboard toolbox, may also be a useful resource for as is has been for me.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 12-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Before you speak, before you act;
    imagine your mom, kid, and childhood idol are standing before you.
    Would you do/say the same thing?

Capitalization: the difference bewtween you helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and you helping your uncle jack off a horse.

You don't know what you don't know till you know you don't know it; the more you know, the more you realize how much you really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    hey Iam,
    i found that i my fingers knew chords my brain did not with the ubc. i also began to 'see' the way some chords work together; the final chords of each key on the ubc are also common vamps. seeing the way the chords work together is helping me usnderstand the I, II, i,iii, 7th chord stuff that was klingon to me not too long ago.
    Interesting Aaron does a real nice job with the movable chord shapes. Those guys know how to film a video tutorial too. That is a real advantage.

I had the same experience with muscle memory as you did. UBC was a good enough method for me without the vids. What ever floats your boat ehhh? Frankly I am amazed at how much better/ quicker the muscle memory devloped on uke. When I am learning from a cheat book and I see a difficult progression coming up my fingers are there before my brain engages. It usually throws my timing off . I should just turn my brain off. It would sound better. The methods these Hawaiian guys have developed are very very effective. Took my ears about 4 years and my brain 5 years to understand how and when 7th chords worked. - that was on the banjo. Took about 3 weeks for my ears/hands brain to achieve the same level of understanding regarding diminished chords. - on uke. It took ten minutes to grasp suspended chords. I haven't had the time time play with this knowledge to get through to my ear/fingers. I just have to allocate the time.

Redeye find out about how the I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII chords in any key are structured. I don't have a ready link. When you have understood this structure you will make another quantum leap in your playing. Even if you never use all the chords in a given Key.

PREACHER: Aarons vids are about 10 minutes long UBC takes 22 minutes to go through five keys worth of chords. Take the time to do this one way or another and soon your hands will know the chords even if your head doesn't.
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    Settee ? Archaic ? Why ...it's British !!......oh, yes ....right fair point.....Pass the tea pot would you there 's a good chap....
    As for the counting thing well here you go ...this is how Trolls count :..One ....er Two...Free..... Many .....Lots.....MuchMoreThanLots...
    (attrib: T Pratchett)
    PS It would be fair to say that when I left home my village also lost a perfectly good idiot.
    Silly me not checking the over the pond lingo before calling the word archaic but damn swell on you for still finding a way to agree with my misinformed statement. I must admit I'm more a coffee person but when I drink tea is strong and black, even when iced. As long as you understand that a Coke a name brand of cola and a coke is never anything but a cola flavored brown colored soda well do fine. I enjoy your sense of humor. The village idiot spot is never vacant so no worries. I'm certain the next one stepped up. Though my statement means to listen to everything and everyone, to dismiss anyone frivolously is acting the idiot and quite possibly missing something great. I was not implying you were an idiot.

~AL~
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Inksplosive AL View Post
    To summarize, someone who just gets something may never understand the struggle other have doing the same thing.....
    This is so true. I don't know how many times I've read threads where someone like myself is struggling with how to play something or how to form a certain chord or whatever the case may be and then invariably, there will be someone who suggests playing bar chords and moving further down the neck or to do an alternative tuning or they go into some unfathomable speech requiring a working knowledge of music theory. Maybe that kind of stuff comes naturally and easily to them but I'm just doing all I can just to make something sound decent as I strum and work away at stuff on those top 4 frets.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by IamNoMan View Post
    PREACHER: Aarons vids are about 10 minutes long UBC takes 22 minutes to go through five keys worth of chords. Take the time to do this one way or another and soon your hands will know the chords even if your head doesn't.
    This is the approach Ive taken is to just play and noodle. I'll figure out the technical stuff later if I ever need to. I think uncle Rods Boot Camp inspires noodling as every line contains many songs.

---

Health was mentioned and is personal but. Just over a year ago I found out the hard way that I was suffering a reaction to a old tier prescription drug for diabetes. It was either poisoning my body or causing my body to poison itself. My memory was greatly affected as it was before being diagnosed as a diabetic. Get yourself checked for good measure.

~AL~
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    This is so true. I don't know how many times I've read threads where someone like myself is struggling with how to play something or how to form a certain chord or whatever the case may be and then invariably, there will be someone who suggests playing bar chords and moving further down the neck or to do an alternative tuning or they go into some unfathomable speech requiring a working knowledge of music theory. Maybe that kind of stuff comes naturally and easily to them but I'm just doing all I can just to make something sound decent as I strum and work away at stuff on those top 4 frets.
    I'll try out alternate chords, and I'll try playing further down the neck, but while interesting, it does not solve the problem generally. But sometimes I get an answer from someone and I just hope that they impressed themselves with their response, because it was totally lost on me.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

One of the joys of these forums is the availability of different opinions and formats. 23 varieties but you can only eat one or two scoops... at a time! Often I have found that even the rants I can't understand offer insights. sometimes its relevant to the topic under discussion sometimes to an unrelated area of interest. Hawaiian chords were mentioned in some post or another. This opened doors for me.

We are beginners here. Most everything is unfathomable at first. I have found the longwinded music theory explanations are often only helpful after careful study and several readings. When I see such posts on subjects of interest I bookmark them for later study.

When I see something totally over my head I smile and am grateful that someone tried to help me.
    "Make a Joyous Noise"

Quote Originally Posted by Inksplosive AL View Post
    Silly me not checking the over the pond lingo before calling the word archaic but damn swell on you for still finding a way to agree with my misinformed statement. I must admit I'm more a coffee person but when I drink tea is strong and black, even when iced. As long as you understand that a Coke a name brand of cola and a coke is never anything but a cola flavored brown colored soda well do fine. I enjoy your sense of humor. The village idiot spot is never vacant so no worries. I'm certain the next one stepped up. Though my statement means to listen to everything and everyone, to dismiss anyone frivolously is acting the idiot and quite possibly missing something great. I was not implying you were an idiot.

~AL~
    I'm sorry ...what ? Why should you be any different to anyone else.. I demand that you imply that I am an idiot ....

However on a serious note........no can't do it ...hang on uuuuhhghhhhg "Laaaaaaa" Best we are going to get.....I may be one of those guilty of sometimes trying to be helpful and bashing people with knowledge and coming across as a "know -it-all" and that is the last thing that I ever want to do and it may have been this in the past that has upset some people....

Hippie Dribble called me arrogant in a post a few weeks back and has seriously fallen out with me....I am scratching my head non - plussed ..this gives me an idea as to maybe why ...

I have no honest intent other than to help and assist ....if I write something in reply to a post that sounds a bit over teckernickle ,say so ...it is no point offering input if it isn't pitched right......

I also did not realise that a lot of the peeps on here are beginners ...I asssumed that I was the runt of the litter knowledge wise ...I don't play much Hawaiian (none in fact ) but will have a go at anything else from Rock to Old Time and Reggae to Classical....I want to help , share and be useful (first time that 'll be then ....I wouldn't even make a good door stop...I'd sit on the wrong side and watch the door open away from me !!!)....

So feel free to groin me if I babble on ....unless of course I am babbling about babble for the sake of babble....
    Last edited by CeeJay; 12-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Thread Information