Reusing Strings?

Deadbait

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot here about different string brands and people trying different strings and making comparisons. I've been able to try some different strings on other ukes and have noticed the difference in feel and sound.

So my question is: Can you reuse strings once they have been put on your uke and stretched out and played? I mean this in the way of trying strings out, not the old ones that are to be discarded.

Can I try some new strings and decide I don't like them and put my old ones back on?

Thanks everyone.

I do this all the time. Just leave the knot tied, unwind from the tuner and then pull the long end out the loop of the knot. I had a tenor where I tried 6 different makes of strings. I would keep them on 2 weeks minimum to give them a fair chance then pull them off and try something else. Those recycled strings made their way onto other instruments.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to know.

Thanks for the extra info too.

I had a string snap on me at the bridge and I just retied the string and as long as it fits you are still fine to use it.

A little different than your question but I thought it was relevant

Finding "the right strings" can make a big difference in a uke.

Put each string in it's own MARKED baggie. A c string can look a lot like a g string sitting on the table

Happy Hunting!

Why do you still have the old strings? If they're good enough to put back on the instrument, why did you take them off?

Why do you still have the old strings? If they're good enough to put back on the instrument, why did you take them off?

Sounds like they are testing strings ... like I do ... to see what each uke is wanting. I was curious too whether I could put the "nah" category strings on another uke to see if they sound better on that particular uke.

Sounds like they are testing strings ... like I do ... to see what each uke is wanting. I was curious too whether I could put the "nah" category strings on another uke to see if they sound better on that particular uke.

Yes, exactly my thoughts.

I just bought three ukes for the family (me and the kids) over the summer and now if one of us wants to try a different brand of string in the future, I know that if they don't like them I can keep them and reuse them if need be, on another uke.

I had a string snap on me at the bridge and I just retied the string and as long as it fits you are still fine to use it.

A little different than your question but I thought it was relevant

Thanks Kwall, that's good to know too.

Thank you.

It would be a good idea, not just to put them in a bag with the name of the string, but also include which size instrument wore them. S C T B is enough. You might also want to put in a post-it which also includes which of your ukes has already worn them. 3x5 card could also include how it sounded on that uke. I label all of my used strings telling from what and why. If you only have two ukes, it would be less complicated than having 45.

It would be a good idea, not just to put them in a bag with the name of the string, but also include which size instrument wore them. S C T B is enough. You might also want to put in a post-it which also includes which of your ukes has already worn them. 3x5 card could also include how it sounded on that uke. I label all of my used strings telling from what and why. If you only have two ukes, it would be less complicated than having 45.

or, just keep the original packaging...

or, just keep the original packaging...

That works if you can reroll them so they don't spring apart. I like a small sandwich bag with the zip-lock. The additional comments also fit better than in an open top packet, and everytning stays together no matter how they are stored or removed from whever they were kept.

Top Bottom