Bruce Wei Acacia Pineapple Tenor

Congi

Reaction score
Link for video http://youtu.be/gx2dMeG4gy8

My spoken english is not very smooth so I rather play without any words in this video.

This pineapple tenor is bought from Bruce Wei. It’s listed as "Acacia Koa Pineapple Tenor” on eBay and I got this for 145 USD included shipping.

Body: Solid Acacia (no idea which species)
Neck: Coconut tree
Freatboard & Bridge: Rosewood
Saddle & Nut: Bone
Scale: 17” (tenor)
Strings in this video D’addario Pro-Arte J71

I bought this uke for curiosity. Bruce listed this as acacia koa but it’s actually just acacia, not koa. The nut and saddle is well made from bones. The action on first fret feels good but saddle is too low and caused some buzzing when playing loud. It’s not a big problem for me because I’m experienced guitar builder and it took only half hour for me to make a new saddle with string compensation. The neck is slightly twisted but still straight enough to be playable. The top and back has slight deformation and I think it’s because the humidity where its made. Bruce told me humidity in his workshop is around 60%. Its seems this ukulele manage to settle well enough to be playable in my country.

The sound is loud as regular tenor. Quite balanced and I would like to describe the sound as round and punchy. Audio quality in this video is what I got from my Canon EOS 600D DSLR camera. It’s definitely fun to play a tenor size pineapple ukulele. For the price 145 USD this all solid ukulele is stunning. The risk to get a non-playable ukulele from Vietnam still there but fortunately Bruce Wei is very smooth with return and full refund.

Thank you for sharing. I need to give my Wei Wei tenor some love. I think I need to get rid of the Aquila strings.

Thanks for sharing. Tenor pineapple is quite rare and I am curious how it sounds. The price seems quite affordable to many.

The price is very affordable but need to prepare for some extra works and money for new setup. So far all Bruce Wei's Ukulele I have required a new saddle. It's just hard for his uke to "survive" in cold and dry environment without deformation where humidity level is between 24-45% during winter time. It takes quite much effort for me keep my room humidity level above 40%, but deformation still happen because they are all made in Vietnam where humidity level is around 60%.

Didn't have similar problem with other brands but according my understanding big brands like Kamaka, Kanilea and even Kala has good humidity control in their factories.

Top Bottom