Uke Lesson 15 - Island In The Sun

Hello everybody! March's episode of Uke Lessons is up (and it's not even March yet!). Check it out:

Uke Lesson 15 - Island In The Sun

This song was discussed a few weeks back in this thread, which lists several takes on chords, tabs, and lyrics for this song.

So hopefully we covered pretty much everything that needs to be said about this song (except for pinky mutes, which Aldrine will punch me for mentioning :D). Questions, comments, thoughts, ideas for interpretive dances to this song? Post them below!

such a nice song, want to dl it!!! uke at mi mums, not here... need the vid for my mums :D

*kk nvm, got it going on!

Last edited:
Thanks for the lesson!

I want to hear more of that "Colors of the Wind" song Aldrine :eek:ld:

Yeah the Youtube playalongs are a huge help! i love those haha!

Critique my version please.

I play some of the local open mics here in Seattle, Washington. A couple weeks ago, I was delighted to learn that a new open mic was being held at the Alderwood Mall's food court. I work there! Not at the food court, but at the big store at one end, selling major appliances. I didn't do so well at my first performance. I sang Doctor Sparkle's "Flingin Poo at The Zoo"... Someone noted later, "You were singing about poo while people were eating?!?" Uh, yeah.

So I decided to come up with a song about the Food Court itself!! Who better to sing about than those poor girls who have to wear that funny costume at Hot dog on a stick! I was looking for something to do when I came accross UU's singalong for Islands in the Sun... SO I changed some lyrics around a bit and came up with this song... which I plan on singing live in front of 50 people or so in just five days.

First thing I gotta do is practice it constantly! Second, I need to nail that Amin7 chord better. That's a new chord for me. What else do you think would make this performance better? Be brutally honest, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5K3zU45UlU

Aldrine: many mahalos for this. it was perfect timing as my cousin just returned from a quick trip to the philippines, was going through a little post-trip-back-to-reality blues and this was one of the songs that totally reminds her of this past trip.

Joko: awesome - hahaha! "dip, dip!"

I wonder if I could get a little advice on this one too.

Five minutes into the video Aldrine goes over the second pattern and I'm having trouble figuring out how to synch the strumming and chord changes.

The strumming goes:

Down
-
Chunk
Up

And the chords go

D
G
D
G
C
A7
D
D​

But exactly when should I change chords? I've been over and over this section of the video and I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

The whole strumming pattern I use for that is:

Down
-
Chunk
Up
Down
Chunk <---- Switch chords after this

You'll get to switch on a chunk (like the first pattern) which should make it easier. In this case though, you'll be switching on the second chunk. Hope that helps.

That's excellent - thanks very much!

I now feel that I can play all of the components of this song in slow motion and in no particular order. For someone with my attention span, that's progress!

:D. I definitely feel you there. Island in the Sun was the first song I ever learned on the Ukulele. I leaped with joy and played that song over and over like a madman (in slow motion of course) with no care whether I was playing in the correct order or not.

i figer it out it was the chunk im having problems with but i got it thx anys ways

Nice lesson, I like it. Question for you, what size uku are you using in this lesson?? Also what brand is it?

Thanks for the lessons,

Chunk?

What does he mean by chunk? How do you make that sound?

Top Bottom