Getting Through, with a Little Help From My Friends...

Olarte

Reaction score
This is a copy of a post I put on my blog earlier today. I could only embed one video to see the rest visit my blog at http://ivanolarte.com/2014/12/23/getting-through-with-a-little-help-from-my-friends/

So 2014 has been a tough year for me, and I can't wait until it's over.

Although the holidays have always been nice for me regardless of the ups and downs of life, this year I must say that I feel distanced from the whole holiday thing.

Mind you I'm not depressed, but I am a bit sad. I feel like I've lost the last of the innocence about about the holidays, and about life itself, that I had since my childhood.

Having gone through a Radical Prostatectomy on July 23rd, to try to get rid of my cancer before it spreads, and knowing that I have at least a year before I conquer the side effects of incontinence and ED, I've had to focus on myself, question my life as it was and as it should be after this ordeal. Cancer has a way of slapping you right in the face and waking you right up...

But the main reason why the holidays have lost that shine for me this year, is not what I went through, It is about seeing friends and family that are suffering like me or worse. And knowing there are countless others going through the same thing.

A close friend at work lost her son suddenly (still in his 30's) right before the last new year's. And just an hour ago I came back from visiting a dear relative who just got admitted to a hospice in Cape Cod as she approaches the end of her journey. And yes she is battling that dammed disease Cancer.

Cancer took my Dad, It tried to take me but I battled it head on and dodged it this time, it is taking a dear relative who is far to young and too accomplished to be taken so soon...

Boy I hate that !@#@# word Cancer!

Just this week as I watched the TV series Crash I found out that Dennis Hopper died from undiagnosed Prostate Cancer back in 2010. By the time they found it, it had done it's evil deed and spread throughout his body.

And just yesterday Joe Cocker, someone who sang from the heart, who's raw energy and honesty transformed others' songs and moved me deeply as I grew up listening to him from time to time during sad and lonely times...

So instead of a Christmas Carol, I wanted to wish all those out there going through tough personal times a bit of rest, a bit of peace, and the shoulder of a friend to rest on as you struggle through the journey we call life.

As you may know, I firmly believe in the power of healing through music, so, I wanted to share 4 short videos that dear friends of mine made for me or posted on youtube, as I went through and recovered from prostate surgery back in July 23rd, 2014.

You see it was friends from the Ukulele community that helped me through my ordeal. They kept my spirits up throughout. When I humbly asked that they pickup their Ukuleles and sing a song as they thought of those that they know that have had to struggle with Cancer I got many responses, and several even made the videos shown below or picked very special songs just for me. I felt special, I felt loved and most of all I did not feel alone during this very scary time.

And so in honor of all those struggling with Cancer and other forms of suffering I want to share these videos and my prayers to you and to your love ones. May the holidays bring you Comfort and Peace.

There were many responses and postings of videos, but these 3 ladies and one gentleman, made these on the fly as I went through and woke up from surgery. And boy did I feel special!

From Mim of Mim's Ukes, the perfect song to celebrate peace and friendship, "With a little help from my friends"

From Lesley Fowkes, who sang one of my favorite songs that the late Bill Tapia used to sing. "I want to write myself a letter"

http://youtu.be/QrGxveFU-HM

Kim McLaws had recorded this a short time earlier, but the way she sang "Smile" with such melancholy and sincerity touched me deeply and yes it made me smile in spite of the pain and discomfort of going through surgery.

http://youtu.be/5UN67kpkrlA

And lastly, one of my favorites pieces that I learned on classical guitar and here interpreted with great musicality and sensitivity by Stephen Petegral on Ukulele, Bach's prelude for Cello.

http://youtu.be/fpgxYJgQOgE

Last edited:
Ivan,

I haven't said much to you this year - I've been dealing with family health issues, watching some people around me fight their way back to health, while other deteriorate, trying to keep from digging myself into a hole, and suddenly finding myself pulled out of the Black Hole of paperwork I've been in since 2001 - and having my first post-9/11 Follow-up physical. (Which so far shows that, other than being fat and a diabetic- nether of which is news - I am surprisingly healthy Other than that little cough, which hasn't been explained...)

Throughout my year, I've had my music, my instruments, my wife, and my friends here on UU. I've started performing in public at open mics, the local yarn shop, and the local farmers' market. Every day I play at least one song, even if I feel like crap. And then, I feel less like crap.

The people here at UU have been here for me - even if they don't know it - as they are for you. And while I may not drop you a note when I should, I do send good thoughts your way.

I recently saw a nice young lady, probably in her early 2os, with one of those silicone wrist bands come into my Starbucks.

The band said "Fu(# Cancer".

I thought of my mom losing a kidney. My friend Michele who had radical bilateral mastectomies. My friend Traci. Many firefighters I've worked with who have died over the years. You.

I wouldn't let her pay for her drink - it was on me - For all of you, and many, many more.

2015 will be better. Remember, we've got your back.

-Kurt​

Thanks for sharing Kurt, sadly Cancer and other suffering touches all of us one way or another.

Yes I'm grateful to have come out ok on the other side of my own battle, but the victory is bittersweet as I witness my sister in law loose her own battle.

The Ukulele, Music and this community here at UU is quite special indeed. Which is why I wanted to share the love given to me by the people on these videos and many others including people like yourself.

I wish you have a better year in 2015, and yes me and many others here got your back too!

Aloha,
Ivan

Top Bottom