Beginners practice guide book, with CD/DVD, any recommendations?

tenniscoach

Reaction score
Can you please recommend some good uke practice books for me?
Inclusive CD/DVD would be a nice bonus.

I'm a basic guitar player and can play the basic chords, so I have a little knowledge if guitar playing though I know the uke is different.

Thank you!

I think Uncle Rod's Bootcamp is one of the best.
http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/
I doesn't doesn't require CD/DVD

Please be sure to visit the Stickies in the Beginner's Forum.

Thanks Peter!
What a nice, no frills, cut to the chase beginners' uke site!
I will try it.
Happy holidays!

Between this site and YouTube, you have hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of videos without buying a dvd.

On YouTube, search Ukulele....how to....and fill in the blank with hold, strum, change strings, install pickup, finger pick, play (add song, chord, etc.)
right hand technques, left hand techniques, name of song, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum

Has anyone heard of, or tried - "Ukulele Primer Book with DVD by Bert Casey".
It has good reviews on Amazon.

I am also looking for a book with DVD for my mother who just got her early ukulele Christmas present this week. She doesn't do the internet.

I started out with chilimonster's channel on youtube. He has free printable sheets for each song on his site. After three weeks of this I was ready to check out ukulele for dummies. I flew through most of the book in a week since chilimonster is such a good teacher. After this I got a book called 21 easy songs for the ukulele and that got me through most of the first year of my ukulele playing. All this with minimal experience with music.

welcome tc!
there is a wealth of great learning respurces here on the forums, and go check the uu university from here as well.
the ukesite and hawaii music suply also have some great lessonstuffs, and also as has been mentioned the youtubes and uncle rod's tools really helped me as well. many many resources from low cost to no cost.
cheers, merry christmas

It depends on what kind of style you want to play, but two books that helped me a great deal (went from simple chords and strumming to a lot more intricate playing) were the Mark Kailani Nelson Fingerstyle Book (sold as Mel Bay) and Roy MacKillop's 20 Easy Fingerstyle Exercises. It doesn't hurt to have a copy of "What Ukulele Players Want to Know" (tuning, stringing, etc) and if you want to test out multiple styles, then Ukulele for Dummies is very good (goes over more than just fingerstyle.)

Ukulele Mike and The Ukulele Teacher on YouTube are great for beginners (and free to).

this is a commercial for "ukulele for guitar players" course by Marcy Marxer, it is aimed at people who play guitar already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jn4Ae8wMFs

It has sound tracks and sheet but many of the videos are already on You Tube here is a a link to the DVD
http://www.cathymarcy.com/thestore/...e-for-guitar-players-dvd-or-digital-download/

I think it is $40 for the course or just the DVD for $30 if you scroll down on the second link there is a $15 "uke is fun for everyone"

I have not bought anything but she seems like a pretty good teacher from what I have seen of her on You Tube.

There are lots of great videos on YT but they can be tedious to watch once you know the basic chords. You have to sit thru introduction music, and introduction of what you are about to be taught, and then wait to see if it is going to be something you really want to learn. Over half of the videos I watched on You Tube where a waste of time because there is no outlined "order" to watch them in most of the time. (there are far too many beginner videos on the internet to be helpful imo)

Last edited:
ukulele for dummies is a great book. i like to learn stuff from a book rather than online.

i bought it when i started on uke, i'd played a bit of guitar before, but i needed something to get me up and running on the uke and i think it's perfect, it takes it nice and slow and would suit a total beginner who hasn't played guitar before. the writer has a nice sense of humour too. the only minus i can think of is, the pics to help you change strings were very dark, i had to go online to see people demo it, and to search for better diagrams, i was used to classical guitar headstock, the steel string style tuners on most ukes completely baffled me at first

ukulele for dummies is a great book. i like to learn stuff from a book rather than online.

i bought it when i started on uke, i'd played a bit of guitar before, but i needed something to get me up and running on the uke and i think it's perfect, it takes it nice and slow and would suit a total beginner who hasn't played guitar before. the writer has a nice sense of humour too. the only minus i can think of is, the pics to help you change strings were very dark, i had to go online to see people demo it, and to search for better diagrams, i was used to classical guitar headstock, the steel string style tuners on most ukes completely baffled me at first

I also prefer books to videos or websites. I am not sure why, but it's a lot easier than watching. It may be because I read music. I think you focus on the music rather than the video.

Top Bottom