Steve Grimes Tenor Ukulele

Wow, that's lovely! CAn I borrow it next? That one would be hard to give back. The two tone bridge is really cool. Does Mr.Grimes have a website? I think my UAS just kicked in again.....geez.

After you've spent some more time with the Grimes, it would be interesting to hear how you compare it to your other amazing ukes. And, of course, that should include a direct comparison of you playing the same tune on each uke. ;-)

Yes Henry I still use the Southcoast HML-RW strings...but I am also using Oasis with Fremont Soloist Low G on a lot of my ukes now(or again)....:)

Len, the strings you like are the same as Jen. Haha.... Do you influence her? ;)

Len, the strings you like are the same as Jen. Haha.... Do you influence her? ;)

Haha Henry.....I have tried almost every string I can get ahold of Savarez,Worth,Fremont,Phd,LoPrenzie.Oasis.Ko'olau Aquilla etc..etc
but now Chuck,Andrew and Corey all help me even more....they know all the strings and try as many as me...haha

I know in Hong Kong and Taiwan not to many choices...so I give Jen my suggestions...but she knows what she looking for in tone,feel etc.....so she decides on her own....:)

After you've spent some more time with the Grimes, it would be interesting to hear how you compare it to your other amazing ukes. And, of course, that should include a direct comparison of you playing the same tune on each uke. ;-)

Actually I ever promised my friend to do some review and comparison between DeVine and Grimes. ;)
Eric built his uke by Kasha bracing system and his works is Art!
Steve's redwood top uke has a huge, warm sound.

Both are Master works. I'm satisfied with playing these instruments. :love:

Thanks for that video of Steve, Henry. Wow, that is an impressive list of customers!

I had a friend who interned with Mr. Grimes at one point in the 90's - ended up with a nice guitar! I always thought his work was really nice, and played a few when I lived on the Big Island.

Already order one Grimes Uke by the end of 2014. The configuration is almost the same as my friend's. Still the same as Redwood Top, Ziricote Side and Back.
I want to add pickup system on it. Steve recommend me to add L.R. Baggs pickup combined with the Mi-Si rechargeable preamp. Sounds great!
Hope to receive my own Grimes Uke ASAP. :eek:

Mark! Thanks for sharing. Now I know another great uke-Grimes, wonderful:)

Henry - I visited Steve today at his shop and saw your in-progress uke. It will be lovely and I think I would choose the same wood combinations as you and your friend did.

That is gorgeous! I think that's how a nice ukulele should look, classy, yet understated, with beautiful contrasting colors, but no gaudiness. Wish I could play the sample on this craptop.....ugh.

Henry - I visited Steve today at his shop and saw your in-progress uke. It will be lovely and I think I would choose the same wood combinations as you and your friend did.

Thanks for your info, Eddie. I can't wait to see my Grimes uke. I'm also glad to know you like Grimes uke too.

We had one in the office for a magazine review; it was awesome!

I gotta check with the owner of dreamukes (actually my wife) but I think it is still available for sale through them....

22.jpg

102.jpg

I think Steve might have a couple ukes going to be available soon...best to email him.

I think Steve might have a couple ukes going to be available soon...best to email him.

:agree:
Steve is a very nice guy. The best way is going to visit him directly. The second one is writing an email to him.

Len, I didn't order...yet. I would like to meet with Eric and there is a good chance I'll be back on Maui in the next month or so. I'd definitely like to visit him.

Hi Eddie,
If you visit Eric soon, you may see he's building my redwood/balckwood tenor. :)
devine.jpg

Top Bottom