Jazz: concert or tenor?

What sound do you want? Ukulele's typically have a BRIGHT sound. Some ukulele's are darker in sound but its best to try them. Cutaway ukulele's are typically brighter in sound than full body ukulele's. Budget is a factor but I would be looking at full body, solid mahogany top instruments for a jazz sound as a starting point.

Anthony

Where do you live? Is it the UK? That will affect what is reasonably available.

Also, there are plenty of very playable tenors at just about every price point - the question is what is reasonable to you?

To me the reason for spending more is not how it sounds to others - in live performing there are so many things that interfere with sound that a playable $100 tenor would sound fine. In recording, nuances are more important. But playing for myself and my own enjoyment is where the differences between instruments matter the most.

Ideally, whatever you can find locally that you like and can afford ;) Failing local availability, if you're in the UK, I'd recommend the Barnes & Mullins "Brunswick"-brand instrument, the BU4T in dark wood or the BU5T in maple. They're available through Amazon and other on-line retailers, or a local retailer may be prepared to order you one ... Good Luck :)
I know your a UKer and that availability on both sides of the pond can be an issue. I never heard the Brunswick ukes you suggested but they seem to be low end cost wise. Do they really sound that good? If I was looking for a jazz uke I think I would want to start with a low end professional model or a mid to high end intermediate ukulele. It would have to be a players uke, that would withstand a fair amount of "playing" abuse too. I am not trying t be snooty or snarky here, just sincerely curious.

Edit: I think a radius fret board would be a good thing to consider in looking for a Jazz uke. I think they may have a radius neck. The 35T series is designed for classical guitar, which may be advantageous for Jazz application. My ears like the sounds of the Cordubas I've played too.

Last edited:
IAmNoMan asked:
I never heard the Brunswick ukes you suggested but they seem to be low end cost wise. Do they really sound that good?

There's an on-line video appraisal here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0IFRo9kCME ... as you say, not trying to be snooty or snarky, just helpful :)

They may not be "top of the line", but, to my mind they look good and play well out of the box, complete with Aquila strings!

I liked them so much I bought two ;)

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?103070-NUD-My-new-tenor-finally-arived-)

Welcome to the uke. With your incredible string experience, I'm sure you'll amazing folks on the uke in a blink of an eye. I'm a rank beginner with no music experience and can't yet even dream of playing jazz. However, I would think whether you go with concert or tenor, you would benefit by having a cut-away body shape.

If you're keen to try jazz on the uke, you are probably familiar with Paul Hemmings. If not, check him out. He just released a new jazz uke album that quite a few of us here supported through his kickstarter campaign. Very, very talented and pushing the uke boundaries with his unique approach.

I wonder if a lot of folks who play jazz and blues on a uke with a pickup (or mic'd) would like what they hear coming out of a bass amp. I think anyone who hasn't already tried it should plug into someone else's bass amp, acoustic or electric, just to hear. (or one at the music store).

I have a few bass amps and prefer to use an acoustic amp, but theoretically a bass amp should work. In my experience it depends on the uke, the pickup and the amp as to how it sounds.

Once again, many thanks for all the input. I really am a "babe in the woods" when it comes to Ukes. Now ask me about Mandolins and I can wax for hours about tone woods, tuners, bindings, bridges, even pick choices, lol! It's fantastic to be able to get input from all you knowledgeable folks. The internet is an amazing and wonderful beast!

I am totally sold on getting a Tenor now, so that's one step closer for me. Just have to figure out what will be most suitable for me.

Thanking you all once again

rusty

To me the reason for spending more is not how it sounds to others - in live performing there are so many things that interfere with sound that a playable $100 tenor would sound fine. In recording, nuances are more important. But playing for myself and my own enjoyment is where the differences between instruments matter the most.

Absolutely spot on!

I'd also check whether Mainland builds a solid mahogany cutaway without electronics. For jazz, I personally would consider a brighter top wood, like spruce or cedar, maybe mango (though I have no experience with mango tops). I'm loving my cedar-top/acacia Kala (bought from Mim, as it happens)—sadly, no cutaway.
I second ubulele's endorsement here. The red cedar has a particularly nice tone. - Consider the gold tuners with amber buttons. perfect compliment to the red cedar. A little bling at no cost.

I think first you want a uke that fits your hands so you can play it well. Then decide if you want it tunes lower like a Baritone, or in the higher uke tunings. I think a low G tenor would be my preference for what you describe.

Somethings just come to mind. You want an instrument with quite good intonation for jazz. You could say that you want really good intonation for ANY style of playing really yet its even more critical when playing funky jazz chords. This is where it really helps to have the instrument in your hands and play it first. This is a bit hard to do online.

Anthony

so, I am getting really excited about Ukes. The more I read and learn the more my enthusiasm increases. I just hope I don't get the dreaded "UAS"! lol! I know first hand how deadly this disease is, having suffered through its cousin MAS, and my bank account is much smaller because of it! ;))

Here's where I stand so far: I want a Tenor with low g and with solid woods. All that have responded to this thread have been key to these decisions and I thank you all once again. As I have said, I plan on strumming my way through Jazz Standards purely for my own pleasure.

Here are the 3 Ukes I have narrowed it down to (although I'm open to more suggestions):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-T...any-Gloss-Setup-Ukulele-Uke-107-/181616695075

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-smht-solid-mahogany-tenor.html

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=61&categoryId=-1

I am leaning towards the Mainland due to the cutaway which I think will come in handy...Thoughts??????

Thanks all for helping on my novice Uke journey

rusty

It's not the size of the instrument, but the tuning that makes the difference. Folk have recommended low-G GCEA for that reason. I go even deeper with CGDA, the same as the tuning for a tenor guitar used in a jazz or R&B setting. Any ukulele will accept just about any tuning you want to put to it (Lord knows I've tried to find one that won't work). So, better to experiment with a $5-10 different-tuned set of strings on an existing instrument than buy another instrument only to hear no appreciable sound change.

CGDA That's interesting, and sounds to me very un-Uke like as that's tuned in 5ths. As a Violist however, I would feel right at home with this tuning, just give me some Uke music written in Alto Clef (is there such a thing?) and I would be off and running! lol ;)

rusty

For myself, I'd go with either the Ohana or Mainland; leaning towards the Mainland because of the cutaway and I've played a Mainland. If you're looking for a cutaway and choose another, you may always wonder if the cutaway was the way to go. That creates a severe case of UAS.

kafkapenguin wrote :
CGDA That's interesting, and sounds to me very un-Uke like as that's tuned in 5ths. As a Violist however, I would feel right at home with this tuning

Well worth the effort!

Two of my ukuleles are tuned in 5ths, albeit GDAE, a soprano in the same pitch as a mandolin/violin, the other, a baritone, an octave lower. I'm not yet as fluent with chords in this tuning as I am with conventional guitar/ukulele shapes, so I use them mostly for melody. Given you're used to the fingering, an instrument set up in 5ths could be a worth-while option for you :)

Top Bottom