Mainland Tenor Cutaway

Good choice. Solid wood, bone nut and saddle. Great size, and cutaways are functional for higher fret reaches, look awesome, and are friendly for soundboard strum scratches (no topwood there = no scratches. Lol). Nice uke for nice price. Good eye. Yes.

Mainland's have a great reputation, but I'm not a fan of their rope binding. I prefer MY tenor cutaway which is the Ohana TK-75CG:

http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29820

Mim is the BEST place to buy Ohana's online. She said she'll be getting more of them in a week and a half:

http://mimsukes.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/mimsukes/Ohana-/_i.html?_fsub=1993996014&_sop=3&rt=nc

Mim's demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8b-zxiGmkI

Ken Middleton's demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHuczmeqBg

Last edited:
I don't own one, but I tried one at TBUG. I lusted after it. I bought a bunch of raffle tickets and put them all on the tenor cutaway. I did not win. I was sad.

I'm hoping to own a Mainland soon.

Most Mainlands now seem to not have the rope binding. I like the slothead cutaway for just a few bucks more ($269) and don't rule out the red cedar topped model either for $289. I played the concert size at TBUG this November and it was amazing

Ohana and Mainland seem to be siblings with some models. MIMS certainly "ONE OF THE....BEST PLACES TO BUY AN OHANA". Uke Republic is another.

Last edited:
Ohana and Mainland seem to be siblings with some models. MIMS certainly "ONE OF THE....BEST PLACES TO BUY AN OHANA". Uke Republic is another.

Yes, I agree that they seem to be siblings with some models. I think Ohana is the cooler sibling. :cool: Mim has the bigger selection of Ohana's. So in my opinion, Ohana > Mainland. :)

I just played several Mainland ukuleles at a school, where a friend is teaching a number of classes in ukulele. The instruments are really excellent. I think, unless you want to spend considerably more money or want to spend a considerable amount of time just shopping, you should go with the Mainland.

I like the rope binding on Mainlands. I have also read & heard (YouTube) several reviews about them where it is reported the rope binding looks much better in person.

I like the rope binding on Mainlands. I have also read & heard (YouTube) several reviews about them where it is reported the rope binding looks much better in person.

My buddy has the concert. Not a fan of the rope binding still nor the logo. I did help him change the strings to Martins and it sounds great!

Last edited:
I have the Mainland Tenor cutaway. I think I bought it in 2009 and it is the only one I play. Get yourself one right now. Our great grandchildren will find these ukes in an attic someday and say, "Wow, rope binding and gloss finish! Great grandpa was even cooler than the legends make him out to be!"

Yes, I agree that they seem to be siblings with some models. I think Ohana is the cooler sibling. :cool: Mim has the bigger selection of Ohana's. So in my opinion, Ohana > Mainland. :)

UkeRepublic has 49 different Ohanas, MIMS has many, many duplicate listings for the same model, therefore, not a bigger selection. I"d say they are about equal give or take a few either way, including setups and service. You can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the comments. It''s good to hear positive feedback from owners. This will be my first Uke experience and I can't wait to start strumming! I've learned a lot from reading through all you good folks forum threads. I have another week or two before I pull the trigger on a purchase. I just hope I don't catch the dreaded UAS! ;)

catching the Uke fever

rusty

UPDATE: Pulled the trigger tonight and ordered my Mainland. Hope it ships quick, I hate waiting! ;)

(excited) rusty

PS: I really dig the rope binding... (shrugs)

Last edited:
UPDATE: Pulled the trigger tonight and ordered my Mainland. Hope it ships quick, I hate waiting! ;)

(excited) rusty

PS: I really dig the rope binding... (shrugs)

Congratulations on such a fine uke for your first purchase. It will give you many hours of strumming happiness. If you like like rope binding that's what matters most. For the record I was not a big fan of the rope binding..........until I saw one in person, loved it.

The waiting will kill you, no matter how many ukes a person ownes waiting for the new one is agony. Yes you will get UAS if you hang around here. Maybe a little maybe a lot but it is contagious, transmitted directly through the key board and screen from all accounts.

Alright! Will be a great first uke! I ordered a Mainland longneck soprano pineapple .... should arrive today! Yes, waiting is hard, and yes you will like get UAS. You'd LOVE a concert size :cool:

So tonight to complete matters ukulele, I ordered some books and a Kala gig bag and threw in a clip on tuner for $8. I have never used one of these, having always used my blue steel A 440 tuning fork that I've owned about 40 years now and my ears, but hey! dinosaurs like me can evolve right? ;)

Now the waiting game...aaaaaaaargggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rusty

Top Bottom