More Gretsch questions

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I'm trying to find info on vintage Gretsch ukes. Does anyone know what the difference is between the ukes with the back of headstock stamp
"Gretsch" and Gretsch American" ? Thanks in advance.

Gretsch introduced a line of 4 archtop guitars labeled as "Gretsch-American" in 1933. That's all I could find in my reference books.

Here is some more info:

http://www.ukulele.org/?Vintage_Ukulele_Q_&_A:2008_Q&A Archive

Question:
Greetings,I recently purchased this Gretsch Ukulele from an antique store. It's in very good shape and I am enjoying playing it. I have found a little about Gretsh on the internet but, was hoping you might be able to shed some more light. I am curious as to when this uke may have been made and what kind of wood it is made from? Gretsch American is stamped on the back of the head stock and inside of the body as you can see through the sound hole. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Answer:
You have a nice looking Gretsch American soprano ukulele. I don't know the exact history of the "Gretsch American" logo, but from the instruments that I have seen with the logo I would estimate that it was used in the 1920's and 1930's. I would guess that the vast majority (if not all) were made between 1925 - 1935. I feel that these older Gretsch ukuleles are far superior to the more common gold-logo Gretsch ukuleles of the 1950s. They are very well built and rival the instruments of other top ukulele makers including Martin, Gibson, and Favilla. From your photos I would say that your ukulele is mahogany, but I'd need to see larger photos to be sure.

Hope this helps...!!!

Thank You whendogsSing , my uke looks pretty old , I'm guessing 30's? . Fret markers at 5 ,7 ,10, double at 7 and they are about 1/8 inch dia. It has wbw binding? or Purfling on the top.
You cant see the binding from the side it is only on the top so thats why I'm not sure if I should call it binding or purfling, its very narrow. I just looked again and there is a binding of a darker wood
its hard to see . The back looks Hawaaian style , it has that little piece that goes over the heel of the neck. It appears to be the original back.
Does anyone know what I have here ? The headstock has " Gretsch " stamped on the back.

Last edited:
Come on , someone must know . I'm going to take some pics and
send them to FFM to the Collectors Uke Yak , maybe I will have some luck there .

Consider sending an inquiry directly to Gretsch. They may surprise with a complete pedigree.

Consider sending an inquiry directly to Gretsch. They may surprise with a complete pedigree.

I just did that this morning . They say they will be back to me in 24 hours . If I get any good info I'll post it here .

Gretsch got back to me and they can only provide info back to 2003 . WTF? The part I'm most curious about is the back which has that little piece that covers the heel of the neck.
From what I've read , the back part covering the heel of the neck means it was made in Hawaii .

Last edited:
Gretsch got back to me and they can only provide info back to 2003 . WTF? The part I'm most curious about is the back which has that little piece that covers the heel of the neck.
From what I've read , the back part covering the heel of the neck means it was made in Hawaii .

I think 2003 is about when Fender took over/bought out/merged with Gretsch. Deal must not have included corporate records. Shame.

Contact Jake Wildwood. His knowledge of pre-war stringed instruments is incredible. He is a member of this forum, but tends to post only sporadically.

Gretsch has records going back to 2003 . I sent a question and info to the Collectors Yak at FFM but they havent answered a question since June. Tried the Ukulele Hall of Fame museum but that seems to be just a relic of the site , there is no one home. Looks like Gretsch History will remain a secret. Makes me wonder why they revived a name that has no history.

Last edited:
I thought I would try to revive this thread . I'm still looking for vintage gretsch info . Thanks .

Just wanted to clarify that FMIC handles the marketing and distribution of Gretsch instruments and that Fred Gretsch III is still the owner.

The 2003 thing goes back to when FMIC took over the marketing and distribution of the instruments.

Almost (if not all) early Gretsch I struments were made in the same Brooklyn factory. It’s condos now, but the building still exists.

Top Bottom