Song Help Request St James Infirmary

fisher00

Reaction score
There are some fabulous versions of this song on youtube. Has anyone found an on-line tutorial for this tune? cheers

Last edited:
Simple song, but there are many variants around.

I play it:
Dm-A7 x 2
Bb - F- A7
Dm -A7 x 2

Just finishing a new group songbook with this song in it. Will post the link in a few days. I do a medley with this and Sixteen Tons, too.

Well, not a tutorial ...
... but a fully tabbed down easy fingerstyle version of it, incl. some variations.

It is on my website (see below), filed under Ukulele Tabs.

Check it out and have fun.

Last edited:
Well, not a tutorial ...
... but a fully tabbed down easy fingerstyle version of it, incl. some variations.

Wow - what an excellent resource! Thanks - I will certainly give that a crack along with several others you have kindly put on your site. Cheers

That's a great site Phrunk, thank you.
I can offer my arrangement with some poorly written tabs. It includes the intro from Hugh Laurie's version, which you may find useful. I posted handwritten tabs further down the thread.

hey, great show.

this kind of changed my point of view on your generation.
I used to think - until five minutes ago - that this kind of music is only enjoyed by old farts like me. :D

Now I know better. thanks a lot.

Well, not a tutorial ...

Wow. Why did I not know about your web site? This is excellent. Thank you for doing these tabs. And being an old far I love St. James Infirmary.......

frisbee fred,

thanks for the flowers. the site is rather new, online since october 2014. not your fault you haven't been round to it before. i am not so good in public relations. so spread the word !!

best, phrunk

Well, not a tutorial ...

Recovering an old post - I'm starting to focus on this and after mucking around with the tempo I'm just about there I think. Question though - there are a couple of notes '12' in a box. What does this represent? I can't work out if it is a 'twelve' or a one and two - an no idea what the box means. cheers

Recovering an old post - I'm starting to focus on this and after mucking around with the tempo I'm just about there I think. Question though - there are a couple of notes '12' in a box. What does this represent? I can't work out if it is a 'twelve' or a one and two - an no idea what the box means. cheers

sorry for the late response - those boxes are a symbol for natural harmonics, in this case over the 12th fret.

best, phrunk

Simple song, but there are many variants around.

I play it:
Dm-A7 x 2
Bb - F- A7
Dm -A7 x 2

Just come across this thread.

I use slightly different chords

I [Dm]went down to St. [A7]James Infirm[Dm]ary
To see my [Gm]baby [Dm]there;
She was lying on a [A7]long white [Dm]table,
So young, so[A7]cold so [Dm]fair.

This is how I play it:

It was [Em] down in [B7] old Joe’s [Em7] Bar Room,
On the corner [D] by the [B7] square
The [Em7] drinks where [B7] served as [Em7] usual,
And the [C] usual [B7] crowd was [Em] there.

Top Bottom