Is Set Up really necessary on the expensive model ?

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
Hawaii Music Supply emphasis so much on free set up. Is it really necessary if the ukulele is at a $1,000 - $2,000 price range? I am referring to the three big K Hawaii brand. You would think at this price range, the builder would have paid more attention to the set up before shipping to their dealers?

Just thought I asked this question so that I am not obligated to buy from any particular shop just to get free set up then cost me a lot of money on international shipping. The music shop in Canada do not offer set up but I save myself on shipping and custom. (I hope) if I order locally.

None of my Kamakas have ever had a setup, and I find that they play just fine. But I was able to try them in person before buying. If you shop somewhere locally, you may find a uke that is playable as is; when you buy online is where it gets problematic - this is why the good online retailers emphasize their setup.

It's more than set-up. Those retailers who do set-ups also do a quality assurance check of the instrument as a whole as well. With mass produced instruments, it's too easy to buy a "box containing ukulele-like substance" if one deals with a retailer who just acquires a pallet of instruments and ships individually sealed boxes without ever examining the contents.

With expensive instruments the issue is no different if a middleman or two is involved. If something is wrong with the instrument, will the midleman repair or exchange the instrument, or just pass the consumer to "factory warranty service"? Regardless of price, knowing what service goes with the purchase price can be really important if everything isn't perfect.

I think if you order from a reliable shop like the 12th Fret in Toronto, you're more than likely to get a highly playable instrument. But really, a decent setup in a shop is likely to run you around $50, and it sounds like you would save more than that by buying locally. So you can always take your instrument in for setup if you're not happy with the playability when you receive it.

None of my Kamakas have ever had a setup, and I find that they play just fine. But I was able to try them in person before buying. If you shop somewhere locally, you may find a uke that is playable as is; when you buy online is where it gets problematic - this is why the good online retailers emphasize their setup.

Actually, I think your Kamaka was set up...at the factory!

My high end ukulele's were properly set up when they were made. If ordering a K brand online, I would insist that no one makes any adjustments to it at all.

That said, you will get great service and probably the best price from Hawaii Music Supply.

Last edited:
I dunno.. I personally think setup is a personal thing. Just because someone labels it as "setup" doesn't mean it's going to feel good to me.

At first I really liked low action. I traded volume for ease of action, because I mostly played at home in a small room. Also, it's got a pickup, so I didn't think I needed to play loud. I was mostly finger picking kinda quietly, so I shaved the saddle down kinda low. At the time, that was fine. But when I took it home over xmas, and was playing some unplugged xmas for family, and strumming kinda loud, it would buzz sometimes. Was it wrong when I shaved it low? If I sold it, the next guy might think so, but I'd say it's subjective.

I'm not convinced there's a "right" "setup". There's the setup you get, which might be right enough, or it might not. At 2K though... I'd want it setup exactly how I wanted, rather than what the tech working on it liked, because it's not his uke.

A lot can happen duirng those first few months of all that wood and glue getting used to being a ukulele as well as its new enviornment. Fret ends can get sharp or maybe become a little unlevel. The action can go up or down slightly as everything settles. Also, players have preferneces, so builders will often pick a "low/medium" set up as it is easier to adjust down then it is to adjust back up. So, it's likley that minimal work needs to be done before those high end ukes leave hms, but i'm willing to bet most all recieve some minor tweak and every now and then they catch something significant.

Most production ukes are setup a little higher. Not enough to make a difference for many but some of us like a lower action. Telling the shop how we like it when they check the setup can make all the difference if it's up to your playing expectations.

For myself, I like there's an experienced uke setup person re-checking everything before I get it. There are very few high end ukes I've played at our local music stores that I was tempted to buy because of the higher action or slight flaws. When pointed out to the dealer they usually respond with some lame excuse rather than offering to have their technician look at it. I'd rather have a person who is knowledgeable about uke setups rather than one who just does guitars and probably feels ukes are just toys anyway.

HMS, Uke Republic and Mim's are members here and specialize in ukes. When I bought my Kala Acacia Ubass, Andrew,HMS, went thru a few before he found one that was satisfactory for him to do the setup. I doubt local music shops do that.

Some sub thousand(s) dollars ukuleles may not need set ups. Take a look at the comment made from Elderly Instruments about the Cocobolo's that they received. They were very impressed with the set up from a very small team down in Nicaragua.

Hi Kevin –
Very nice! Everyone here was drawn towards them, just as I think customers will be. They are very distinctive and sound pretty darn good too. Both passed the shop inspection - they were right at our specs for string action (a rarity from most small makers). The fretwork was fine all around. That is also a rarity; we usually do not see that right off the bat. When I told people the price they were even more impressed.
I think they will move fairly quickly -- they are very attractive instruments at a really good price. Uke collectors like different, and they certainly are unique. Consensus thumbs way up!
Thanks much for contacting us. We look forward to working with you.
Regards,
Ray Aleshire
Purchasing Department Manager
Elderly Instruments
1100 N Washington Ave
Lansing, MI 48906

I just receive my Cocobolo concert last week (#192) and could not be happier. I dealt directly with Kevin the owner down there. The transaction was smooth and was such a pleasure dealing with Kevin. Cocobolo's are an undiscovered gem and you could buy about 3 for the price of a cheaper "K" brand. A true bargain IMHO.
http://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/index.php/2014-05-10-08-22-16/happy-customers

Last edited:
spookelele said:

I personally think setup is a personal thing. Just because someone labels it as "setup" doesn't mean it's going to feel good to me. [end quote]

I agree with spookele. Your playing style and touch etc affect the set-up. Also your choice of strings (low tension/high tension). The dealers do their best to set it up as close to "universal" but I would get it fine tuned for me. Also, an ukulele goes through some "settling in" in its first three months. So maybe a set-up job after three months if new? By then, you may want to try different strings as well.

Another thing is the seasonal change. Summer humidity will swell the top (thus higher action). Winter dryness does the opposite.

For my guitars, I keep a summer saddle and a winter saddle. I think it's more critical in guitars.

Also, an annual check-up is always a nice thing to do.

Cheers
Chief

My newly purchased Kanile'a was set up at HMS while I watched. It plays well , fingers don't hurt then just like some of you pointed out. Its probably too low. Notes that needs sliding doesn't play as clear as my Kala that has no set up.
I asked Joe at Kanile'a. Just received his respond through email tonight .He said all their instruments are ready to play as they leave their hands. I guess that answered my question that the higher end product do have proper set up already. I probably should have left it as is when I picked it up. :-(

I think if you order from a reliable shop like the 12th Fret in Toronto, you're more than likely to get a highly playable instrument. But really, a decent setup in a shop is likely to run you around $50, and it sounds like you would save more than that by buying locally. So you can always take your instrument in for setup if you're not happy with the playability when you receive it.
I never heard of 12th Fret.
I must check it out. Thanks for the recommendation .

I've setup instruments then shipped them to another part of the world where the humidity is much different than where the instrument was setup, so the action ended up being off and required adjustment after the instrument acclimated to its environment.

My newly purchased Kanile'a was set up at HMS while I watched. It plays well , fingers don't hurt then just like some of you pointed out. Its probably too low. Notes that needs sliding doesn't play as clear as my Kala that has no set up.
I asked Joe at Kanile'a. Just received his respond through email tonight .He said all their instruments are ready to play as they leave their hands. I guess that answered my question that the higher end product do have proper set up already. I probably should have left it as is when I picked it up. :-(

I would doubt you would buy anything from HMS sold with a bad setup. While you might find the action too low if it were too low it wouldn't play correctly at all. Stop worrying and play the instrument everything done can be undone easy enough. Remember Kala likely says the same thing about their instruments being ready to play as they leave the factory.

Notes that needs sliding doesn't play as clear as my Kala that has no set up.
:confused: What does this mean?

It means that a slide guitar will have its action set much higher than a guitar setup to play normally. She is clearly talking about sliding notes on the fretboard? Does "Sliding notes do not play as clearly on my ukulele with a setup as my Kala without?

Off topic yet strangely enough very on topic: I buy custom built tattoo machines some new some used and everyone is setup to the style of the artist. I used to tweak everything I bought to run my way and life was good. As Ive aged I have learned to accept each machine as it is as long as its within good working tolerances. This has had a dramatic effect on advancing my style and its way more fun. Maybe its just the number of hours with a machine in my hand but I can do a great tattoo with any machine now.

Good luck on your path
~AL~

Last edited:
A high-end ukulele does not need a mandatory set-up as long as you live close enough to the seller to walk into the shop and blacken their eye if they won't take it back in return.

Better option: have a set-up.

I 'm quite sure you can buy a high-end ukulele from HMS and be certain the set-up will be fine even if they don't really do it. They'll be sure it's good before it goes out.

Set up is highly personal. I have found the "setup" from HMS to be of dubious value. Don't get me wrong - their customer service is fabulous and they are a great vendor, but I haven't been impressed by the "setup" on my ukes. It's a good idea to read up on some of the web sites that tell you how to do your own setup. I use a local repairman and after I've played an instrument a while I'll often bring it in and discuss how I'd like it adjusted. Most people when they set ukes and guitars up tend to set the action a little too low for my taste. Low action makes the instrument seem a little easier to play but it comes at the expense of ability to generate volume and space for finger picking. I prefer action slightly too high over too low. As a general rule I like the action more like the ukes come out of the box than how they are after the setup.

Top Bottom