I need to send this back right?

Pono (Ko`olau) is very concerned with Customer Service. You are obviously unhappy with your purchase. I do not think the onus is on you to have someone make truss rod adjustments or whatever. Contact your dealer to make it right or return / exchange it. If the dealer won't exchange it, then just return it and try another dealer like HMS or M!m or someone. Just be aware that NAMM is coming soon and they might be away for the next week or so...

By posting this thread you kind of answered your own question. Obviously it doesn't feel right to you. That is something that won't change and always be in the back of your head. So, simply send it back. Knowing Pono that wouldn't be trouble at all.

If the vendor is an authorized dealer, he should be able to make an exchange, no questions asked. IMO, it would be more practical to take it back then deal with making adjustments and voiding the warranty.

In person it looks about like the pic. If you sight down, you can see its there.

I'm mostly stressing because the E string buzzes on 0-4 with a light-medium strum, and the A buzzes lightly frets 2-3 with a medium-heavy strum even though it's about 2.8mm at the 12th. I was looking more for a bow, hoping I could use the truss rod to maybe do something, but then was trying to figure out what looked wierd, and then noticed the twist.

Do I take it in to a local place(bought online at an authorized retailer), and pay them to tell me what else is wrong, or do I send it back for warranty? Seems less than good to be buzzing like this right on day 1, and also seeing that twist is not confidence inspiring.

Am I picking nits? or would you be concerned if this arrived at your door?
You are not picking nits. Contact the seller explain your problems. Arrange for the dealer to provide you with a shipping label, at their expense. They should replace it or refund your money as part of their customer satisfaction program. A new instrument with these kinds of problems is not a warranty issue. It is a replacement issue. You were sent a ukulele with a defect. If the dealer says anything at all about set-up in their literature it should have been picked up as defective merchandise before initial shipment. A reputable dealer will take care of your problem.

So, since Andrew and the seller suggested loosening the truss rod, I tried it.

I think there might be something wrong with the truss rod. It turns freely. Like.. if I put the allen wrench in, gravity will move the wrench. Not like.. straight up fall down like there's 0 resistence, but just the weight of the allen wrench will move it. It feels like the truss rod isn't connected to anything inside, and a 1/4 turn did absolutely nothing to the neck.

Is there something wrong with the truss rod, or is it just max looseness already?

I validated before I did it, that it would not change return, or warranty. The seller contacted Ko'olau/Pono and was advised it was the logical thing to try.

Okay, so it sounds like they didn't tighten the rod at all, which incidentally can be a source of buzzing. I'd ask if it is a dual or single action truss rod. If its dual then that means you may be able to still get it straight but if its single then its not going to get any better. Tightening it will just create more relief.

It looks like this issue isn't all that uncommon with them. http://ukulelelanguages.com/ukulele-beginner/truss-rods-on-pono-ukuleles/

Last edited:

The G string buzz is obviously not the truss, but the others? it's not restricted to 2nd fret, but it's easiest to reproduce there.
Sorry about the volume. It was taken on a dslr, and I'm like 1 foot from the camera, which has a crappy mic. I don't have an external mini plug mic.

Return it. Don't take "no" for an answer. Pono should want to replace this instrument. Even if it wasn't buzzing, it will not improve. If you have someone twist it straight, it will naturally return (at least partially and perhaps exactly) to where it was. Might even get worse, as others have said.

There are lots of reasons for buzzing and most are easily resolved but I'd send it back. I think that you should be commended for moving outside of your comfort zone and trying to get it straightened out instead of just immediately sending it back. Hopefully, you have learned something that may help you down the road.

I returned a uke for this very reason. It wasn't buzzing, but it was, like yours, brand-new and I was concerned that the twist would get worse. I wouldn't return a uke for cosmetic issues (maybe ask for a discount), but something like this--it goes back. It's only going to bother you, send it back.

BTW, John from pono says it's a dual way truss rod.
That being said, the neck does look straight, just a little twisted.
With it already being about 2.8mm at the 12th, it seems the clearance should already be plenty to not buzz, since in the other threads most people prefer 2-2.5mm.

I've asked for an exchange or a refund, because the more I think about it, the less confidence I'm having in this particular instrument. And if I decide to sell it later to upgrade, I'd feel dishonest to the next guy to own it.

I'm hoping for an exchange of a new uke, but I guess we'll have to see. They don't have another one in stock right now.

The G string buzz is obviously not the truss, but the others? it's not restricted to 2nd fret, but it's easiest to reproduce there.
Sorry about the volume. It was taken on a dslr, and I'm like 1 foot from the camera, which has a crappy mic. I don't have an external mini plug mic.

Hi everyone. Since I am the seller I felt after reading this post I needed to reply.
First, I would like to point out that the instrument was shipped in perfect condition with no buzzing whatsoever and I have a video to prove it.
Please check it here and u tell me if you hear any buzz.
http://youtu.be/175p7QvA8o0
Second, i've been in contact with Walt here and we went over a number of different possibilities why some of the strings are buzzing.
As I have been dealing with stringed instruments for 30 years I think for the most part I know what I'm talking about.
I'm not going to get into the details about how to loosen the truss rod and had to create a bow in the neck but know that every instrument is different and they will have a very delicate set up that you simply want to know how to tweak.
You do not need to be a rocket scientist to do a truss rod adjustment but yes, if you have never done it before you may want to have a professional do it for you.
As far as the return goes, there's not much to say except for you are welcome to return your instrument if you're not satisfied with it and you get a refund or replacement, your choice, no problem.
Penny Lane Emporium

Like I've said all along this thread, the previously unnamed seller (Armando of Penny Lane Emporium) has been very friendly and helpful. I didn't name the seller/store, because I wasn't looking to put pressure on them or put a reputation on the line, because they've been very good to deal with so far. And really any problems here are with a product they didn't produce. Like others have said, sometimes things happen, and at that point, it's not the problems you face, but how you handle them. I have no complaints about how this has been handled. They've been very professional about it, and have not pressured me at all to keep it, only offering possible solutions to the problems.

Anyway, I wanted to be clear about that, as Armando sounds like he's taken offense. I haven't felt like they were trying to stick me with a faulty product, and I believe they're honest folks, or I wouldn't have bought from them to begin with.

Mostly the reason I tried to get it worked out was because when it's not buzzing, it sounds quite nice. Not because the seller was pressuring me to fix it myself.

Last edited:
Welcome Armando and thanks for your input. For myself, I never felt the seller was at fault and am glad to see you back up what you sell. I will have no hesitation buying an instrument or accessories from your store knowing how well you handled this. We have had others who were not so fortunate when challenges arose from other stores so it's good to know who to buy from and whom to avoid.

I agree--it's when things go wrong that a seller really shows their true colors. When I had to return a uke for a neck twist, the resolution was more than satisfactory, and I made subsequent purchases from the same seller. In my case, I believe the twist happened while the uke made some very long travels before it got into my hands. I see no problem with anything Penny Lane has done/suggested, nor did I think spookelele had any problem with the seller, just the uke.

Top Bottom