Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: transition to guitalele - chord fingering help please!

Another idea. On guitar I use lots of moveable chords where I am only fingering 4 or five of the 6 strings, the unused ones are muted in different ways by how I finger the chord.

For example a moveable 7th chord based on the 5th string (like an open C7) is easy to move up and down and just mute the 6th string with your thumb and the 1st string with your index finger as it fingers the 2nd string. As long as flesh is just touching the string it effectively silences it. And you can strum all 6 strings for general laziness!

Another advantage is that by relaxing all your fingers you can mute the whole chord for strumming variety. Google "movable jazz chords" and see what you get.
    Bob

Sorry for the double post. for some reason my browser will not allow me to edit a post.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNukem View Post
    Another idea. On guitar I use lots of moveable chords where I am only fingering 4 or five of the 6 strings, the unused ones are muted in different ways by how I finger the chord.

For example a moveable 7th chord based on the 5th string (like an open C7) is easy to move up and down and just mute the 6th string with your thumb and the 1st string with your index finger as it fingers the 2nd string. As long as flesh is just touching the string it effectively silences it. And you can strum all 6 strings for general laziness!

Another advantage is that by relaxing all your fingers you can mute the whole chord for strumming variety. Google "movable jazz chords" and see what you get.
    Thanks! I'm making a note of all these ideas, it really is helpful - much appreciated!
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2

My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

How confident are you on guitar? For me, I usually remember the transposed chord. I.e if I'm playing a G, remember it transposes to D and play the D shape; Same thing for A(m)(7/9/susx/etc.) and E(m)(7/9/susx/etc.) and other chords. Basically, like playing guitar with the capo up 5 frets from the base. Being a pianist/guitarist helped me lean to transpose like that *snaps*.
    Needs more OVERDRIVE!!!

Leilani the Hal Leonard Uke, Joy the Banjo Ukulele, Jessica the First Act Guitar, Clair the Vito Clarinet, Lucy the Fender Stratocaster, my Unnamed Ibanez Bass, and Aura Leigh the Peripole Recorder

Here's one that shows what I mean. Notice the red dots indicating the root. Once you can play the chord (including the muted strings) at one fret you just move it up/down using the root as the "anchor."

http://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/jaz...art.html#Major
    Bob

Don't know if you are still looking for this -- but if you look up requinto chords online, there is some information. Plus I think a few books on requinto chords. Requintos are tuned the same as guitaleles.

we need an uncle rod's boot camp for guitar!
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Default Guitalele chord chart with finger numbers

Here is a guitalele chord chart with finger numbers. It tells what finger to use for each chord shape. Hopefully it will be useful for someone, even though this thread is older.

168 chords with finger numbers. http://vividvision.sakura.ne.jp/sblo...hord_chart.pdf
    Last edited by Orcapod; 07-03-2018 at 07:42 AM.

I made a review and unboxing of a Guitalele and I explain some of this in my video, you can check it out through my channel below, but think of a ukulele as a guitar on capo 5 without the forest two strings. With that in mind, Guitalele is just a guitar on capo 5 essentially. So Em fingering will play an Am. G major fingering will play a D major on Guitalele.
    Don't forget that Uke'n do it!
    Check out my Ukulele YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvG...7AmdP6rUzbWrzg
    Road work ahead? Well I sure hope it does.

Thread Information