Visit to HMS

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
Last week we took a visit to the North Shore to see the Hawaiian Music Supply store (The Uke Site) First, let me tell you that it's a small store with more ukes than I've ever seen in one place! Corey was working and he let me play lots of ukes. For the first time ever I was so overwhelmed, I couldn't even identify one or even two of the ukuleles I'd consider best. There were so many I've never seen before or played. He was so nice. Definitely Ohana.

We were staying at the Aulani with family and they "made" us leave after a week or I'd have gone back for more looking. I liked the MGM uke that Kala made and lots of higher end ones that I can't even recall the names.
Ukulele Store.jpg

I love the HMS crew! Glad you had a great time! HMS is like living in an internet uke store- they have everything and you can play it all... if you have time.

I only briefly visited there and got to meet Aaron and Mike- great guys and a fantastic store

Glad you had a great time, hms is certainly the place to go, with lots of ukes and every ukulele
In the store has a set up and gone through the accept or send back policy if they don't meet hms high
Standards and criteria. That is why they all sound the best they can be there.

Wait, so you're from the mainland, went to HMS and walked out with nothing?!? What kind of a freak are you? :biglaugh:

That would be a dangerous visit for me ... considering my current UAS. "Honey, which credit card still has $1200 on it?"

Plus you never know who you might run into there.
EugeneUkulele drops in:

Wow! Where do you start in a place like that? Are the ukes arranged in any sort of way, or is it just random? I think I could be there for week trying them out and narrowing down which to get.

I am so jealous. I was there on Jan 2. There were very limited selection. Yes the wall was full at the time but all imports. Only three or four Hawaii made hung from the ceiling. Aaron said its a bad week to shop.
I came out with a Kanile'a but still wish there were more choices especially I up my budget from $600 to $1,400 which is a lot after the currency exchange to Canadian.
Cory wasn't there either.
You are so lucky.

It seemed like there were ukes from every where. There were some nice ones from Japan a bit over $1000 that played nicely, a DeSilva for more that played like a dream and then the ones made on the island. Some really nice looking and playing ones were from a furniture maker down the road. Interesting look. They had the Jukebook KoAloha and I played that. Papa KoAloha had insisted I play the one he has at the factory a couple of years ago and this one played differently. Corey said they had changed the bracing. The price was also much less than I recall it being before. I tended to like the ones for $2500 and above and also the Kaniles. Some of the same brands seemed to be together but not always. It was like I'd see something and try it then turn and see something else and....... I bought my first ukulele from HMS, a Zebra wood Lanalani soprano. It came perfectly set up but the thing didn't have a block of wood for a strap button. I've found I can only play with a strap so I did sell it for what I paid for it to someone who never uses a strap and he loves it. (Doesn't play all that often) It's been fun reading these responses. Nice to know others have the same feeling I had. If I hadn't had a 5 year old grand daughter and the rest of the family waiting I'd still have been there. They bribed me with the macadamia crusted chicken sandwich at Breakers to get me to leave. (ate outside so the 5 year old could visit with the wild rooster, chicken and babies that hang around) I know, chicken sandwich?

I'm sure it was overwhelming, Shirley. But good fun! I wonder I the Japanese made uke you played was the Asturias? I absolutely love the sound based on Corey's sample.

Uke Heaven for sure. Worth the drive. I visit every July and stay with my in laws in Kailua. Like most who post here I can't pass by any shop that has ukes. HMS is the best of the bunch and also a really good bunch of guys. Lot's of great places to eat in Haleiwa, funny thing is my wife and I almost always end up at L&L. She's kama'aina and can't pass up a local plate lunch. You can take the girl out of Hawaii but you can never take Hawaii out of the girl.

Last edited:
After reading everyone experience at HMS. I wish I tried more uku. I just thought I supposed to wait for Aaron to pull them off the wall for me. I am too short to grab the few nice one hung from the ceiling . I did touch the tiny tenor which I like but the head looks kind of strange. The Asain made KoAloha body don't feel like wood but sound pretty amazing.

I notice my purchased uku is built in September 2014.. I think it's pretty crazy and amazing if some of you remember you have actually played it between Sept to Jan.2?

Last edited:
Top Bottom