Are You Really In Tune?

I think it's very important to train your ear. I think I've developed a pretty good ear over the years. I'm not a newbie to tuning. Just to tuning a uke...and I just have not taken the time to look up what frets to use.

I have not bought an electric tuner. I use my piano, and when I have been away from home, I used an online tuner that I was not real impressed with. I will be investing in a tuning fork. I have also been teaching my daughter to use her ear. I think it's extremely important.

I don't think Jim is trying to talk down to folks here CeeJay.

Thanks for that. I really am not trying to talk down to anyone. Quite the contrary - I learn quite a bit here myself. CeeJay seems to be sensitive to my writing style for some reason. Kinda hard to change it after 50+ years, but I'll try to be a bit more sensitive to what might be perceived as condescending.

To rehash this without the environmental folderol:
1. Tune to Equal pitch, (maybe a couple cents low - the strings do sharpen as Jim suggests). Use your tuner.
2. Check the sound of the strings compared to A 440. Use your ear.
3. Adjust your tuning by ear til it suits you, (and hope the rest of the musicians don't throw rottten fruit).

Perfect. Just to be clear, and mainly for CeeJay's sake, I never, ever, ever said DON'T USE A TUNER! I don't have perfect pitch, only relative pitch. And even if I did, it wouldn't help. Most all of us still need a reference pitch (a tuner). But, we need to use our ears to "get there".

Ubulele 's points are completely opposite to your position ...he defends electronic tuners ....you sir are mischievous and a rogue.

However there it ends.I have been goaded before by such as thee who self style and posture , but no I shall refrain , your transparency is as crystal to my gimlet eye (actually Consitter, I can't keep this up without going besrek, so I shall sign off. And I love that Popcorn Eating Smiley )

Sir ,I miss no point other than the scorn in your condescending tone and an assumed authority and self professed knowledge which after my own 50 plus years on the planet I find to be well ,shall we say "Bogus" .

If it helps at all you may ,Sir, read this in the accent of a Southern Gennlemun....

Last edited:
...to what might be perceived as condescending.

I found your post interesting and informative but nearly stopped reading it because that is exactly how your responses to Hippieguy and Ceejay were perceived. I read on mostly to see what Hippieguy's response would be since his videos are where I learned to tune the way you propose. Ironic.

I found your post interesting and informative but nearly stopped reading it because that is exactly how your responses to Hippieguy and Ceejay were perceived. I read on mostly to see what Hippieguy's response would be since his videos are where I learned to tune the way you propose. Ironic.

I did not intend to sound condescending to Hippie Guy - quite the contrary! Did you not see the joke about alcohol? I was not calling HIM sloppy, he did that himself, and I was calling him out on it in a JOKING MANNER.

So Hippe Guy, if you saw my comments as CeeJay did, I'm sorry. They were not meant that way.

I did not intend to sound condescending to Hippie Guy - quite the contrary! Did you not see the joke about alcohol? I was not calling HIM sloppy, he did that himself, and I was calling him out on it in a JOKING MANNER.

So Hippe Guy, if you saw my comments as CeeJay did, I'm sorry. They were not meant that way.

For crying out bloody loud ...HALLEJUAH......that is what I have been trying to say all along ........

that what you said COULD be misinterpreted ...but you have to take the hump with me and then listen to someone else ....

I can't be bothered ...I think you may have something to say ...but I can't be bothered anymore ...

I'm not risking some one running off to a mod and then me waking up with a ban ..not this week of all weeks ...

For crying out bloody loud ...HALLEJUAH......that is what I have been trying to say all along ........

that what you said COULD be misinterpreted ...but you have to take the hump with me and then listen to someone else ....

I can't be bothered ...I think you may have something to say ...but I can't be bothered anymore ...

I'm not risking some one running off to a mod and then me waking up with a ban ..not this week of all weeks ...

Well, I'm glad you're happy CeeJay. Don't worry about me running off to a mod. My skin is thicker than that. Have a good night.

Well, I'm glad you're happy CeeJay. Don't worry about me running off to a mod. My skin is thicker than that. Have a good night.

No you're not ...and fair play to you for the other..

All I have been trying to say is In a nut shell ...
You make some interesting points .
You have some interesting information.
You are putting it across in a very "lofty" manner .
I do not think you mean to.

Veritas.

Last edited:
Good night to you as well OregonJim and thanks for the interesting information on tuning.

Good night to you as well OregonJim and thanks for the interesting information on tuning.
It is intersting and it is informative ....I am not trying to be the village Jerk here
..though sadly by default 'tis a role that befalls unto me. :agree:

It is intersting and it is informative ....I am not trying to be the village Jerk here
..though sadly by default 'tis a role that befalls unto me. :agree:

Thanks CeeJay. No harm no foul.

This was quite interesting reading :rolleyes:. I always figured uke and mandolin players spend half their time tuning, and the other half playing out of tune.

Trade you for some :spam:.So tell me consitter, has anybody suggested when your in a noisy jam just tuning to the fiddlers droning A?

This was quite interesting reading
rolleyes.png
. I always figured uke and mandolin players spend half their time tuning, and the other half playing out of tune.
Your not a banjo player are you?

Last edited:
Funny, how passionate folks can get about such an esoteric issue as tuning! :D. I developed as a musician playing brass, and there, tuning the instrument is one thing, but playing in tune is something entirely different. On most orchestral instruments, a player can intentionally, or inadvertently alter the pitch of any note. We have it comparatively easy on Ukulele, with the instrument tuning doing the whole job for us!I have one further comment. Theoretically, using a perfect tuner, one could tune the open strings and achieve exact overall tempered pitch. Then all chords in every key would sound equally bad. By tuning the Ukulele to itself, we get good sounding chords in our most commonly used keys. And, if we capo up to the unusual keys, we keep our good sounding chords.

Funny, how passionate folks can get about such an esoteric issue as tuning! :D. I developed as a musician playing brass, and there, tuning the instrument is one thing, but playing in tune is something entirely different. On most orchestral instruments, a player can intentionally, or inadvertently alter the pitch of any note. We have it comparatively easy on Ukulele, with the instrument tuning doing the whole job for us!I have one further comment. Theoretically, using a perfect tuner, one could tune the open strings and achieve exact overall tempered pitch. Then all chords in every key would sound equally bad. By tuning the Ukulele to itself, we get good sounding chords in our most commonly used keys. And, if we capo up to the unusual keys, we keep our good sounding chords.

It was not the "subject" that caused the "passion" ....let's be absolutely Irish Waterford Cut Glass clear on that...;)

However what may have been my error is in not ascertaining what type of music we were tuning for.....electronic tuners are good enough for Rock 'n'Roll...and that's good enough for me.....plus on doing further reading the info seems to indicate a disparity between tuning fretted string instruments and non fretted ...with an accuracy requirement for the non fretted to be much more spot on...

Yes I know it's Wikipedia.....but what can you do? ...

One simply must not challenge everybody who supplies information:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning

And at the end of the day it is quite possible that some of these YouToobers ....just haven't bothered to tune...

Like I never see members of the Uke band that I'm a member of revisit their tuners or listen to their instrument during the two hours from having initially tuned at 7 Of The Clock. These little pluckers are constantly needing attention...

Top Bottom