2015: What is on your list to calm your UAS?

I think I'll probably get a tenor eventually. I have two solid koa ukes and one laminate, so I think I'll go for mahogany next, maybe. But I think I will wait a while. It was over a year and a half between uke purchases last time, and my newest uke arrived last October. So it'll be early next year if I get another, judging by that.

Kinnard 19" baritone by Easter and a Howlett Concert Vita for Christmas.

Holy ukuleles Batman!

Got something in progress but I'm not really ready to talk about it. I'm hoping it will desensitize my UAS for awhile.

I just received my Moore Bettah, which will definitively slow down my UAS. Still looking forward to my Ko'olau CS Redwood/Milo being built sometime this spring... :D

Last edited:
I have a very specific subtype of UAS, that isn't really UAS at all, I guess.

I 'need' to own only two very good ukes that are very special to me and have a 'spiritual' significance, and one beater. And that's it. I don't want to own more than that, at any time. Why? Because that's just what I'm like! I only play soprano now, believeing pompously that all true ukulele are soprano, and thus contorting myself at times to try to play stuff that clearly isn't meant for gCEA at that scale!

I recently sold Good Uke No.2, in preparation for the arrival of its successor in the previously described prescriptive stable.

So...new custom soprano coming for my birthday in September. I began to plan this and discuss it with the luthier quite a few months ago and have the thrill of being able to discuss pretty much every aspect of it, right down to the shape of the lower end of the finger board etc. The idea that this beautiful instrument will have been made specifically for me, is a massive buzz! I've bought the tuners (Grover Champion Deluxe) and sent them to the luthier. He's set aside the wood for the body from the last remaining bits of a lovely set that he'd been using. I've chosen the headstock shape etc. Only a few more bits of spec to confirm and then the blueprint will be ready!

As with all the small number of things in my life about which I'm very passionate, the anticipation of what is to come is almost as much fun as it arriving. It really is, as they say, better to travel...

Ben

Last edited:
I'm finding that I really like tenors and my Ohana TK38 seems to be fine for now. I'm hanging on to the OXK even though it's a soprano because it's a great travel uke but if Martin made a HPL tenor, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

And now that we're on the subject of unobtainable stuff, there's a Kamaka HF3 in my future someday.

And there's that whole spruce/cedar top thing to explore.

Last edited:
My UAS is pretty calm at the moment. I've got to get a Fluke tenor before November (got an overseas trip planned and those Fluke things are pretty indestructible).

Been thinking of moving from my C1K and Ohana to a Hawaiian K-brand concert. Just haven't decided which one, yet. I can drive across town and see them all, I think, at a store. The Phoenix valley is BIG and it is quite a drive over there, even if traffic is good. Anyway, I thought I wanted a Koaloha, but the only one I've seen was a tenor with low G and I wasn't impressed with the sound or finish. The only Kanilea I've seen is beautiful and sounds good, not sure about the wider neck, although I had an Islander and didn't seem to mind it, just not sure about it being the only option. Kamaka, haven't really handled one in person. At some point I'll go across town and look and compare my C1K and maybe come home with just the C1K!

Just thinking trading the 2 concerts I have for a really nice concert and with my Style 0, that will suffice my needs, along with my small collection of novelty sopranos.

something like this K-1 CP just might satisfy my UAS...
kanilea_k1-cp.jpg

Last edited:
I am a realist. It will require standing face to face with Jesus Christ my Savior. That could be 25 years away......or later today. But my UAS will certainly be satisfied-cured-healed- delivered from- replaced with no chances of a relapse.

I agree with TheCrafted Cow! There is no saving me from UAS while I'm still here on earth.

Nothin' like living in a 250 square foot house to keep one's UAS (and every other acquisition syndrome) in check. That being said, if a National resonator style 0 or 2 came my way, I'd manage to make room for it...
I know a place that has a National Resonator Style 0 for sale. The asking price for it is $2070 US. They will also take reasonable offers. You'd have to contact the store for more information though, here's the link to the store that it is at: Bookmans

aside from a custom... Ko'olau or DeVine...I am set

this is kind of like a gun safe or book shelf...unless you want to put a prize possession on the floor or in a pile or leaning in a corner...there has to be room.

:shaka:

I'm planning on getting a Kala U-Bass after I get my tax return. I'd love to get a nice custom built tenor sometime in the future.

I was lucky enough to find a Moore Bettah koa tenor early in 2014. That seems to have eased my UAS, although now I want another Moore Bettah tenor, this time with inlay (because Chuck's inlay is utterly masterful craftsmanship). My UAS seems to have shifted to tenor guitars for the moment. I'm waiting for a Beau Hannam tenor guitar and may buy another custom tenor guitar down the road.

Eh hem ... wasn't on my list, but I just purchased a Martin C1K from a UU member! Can't wait to receive it as I've heard good things about these. What's next? Whatcha got? :iwant:

Reading this list is making me consider some additional purchases later in the year.

And would consider buying ages of your current Ukes so you can fund your dream Uke. :D

Just got out the hospital 2 weeks ago with the second surgery in 3 months. Decided when I get back on my feet to buy a used 15-18 foot camper and go camping and uking in the mountains. The small size should prevent me from over buying. Gonna sell a couple of Guitars and ukes too, Then if I run across something cool I can buy it. Would like a U-bass. Got an old Peavey T-40 bass from the 70's in great shape, but it weighs over 9 lbs, too heavy....hmmmm

Reading this list is making me consider some additional purchases later in the year.

And would consider buying ages of your current Ukes so you can fund your dream Uke. :D

Yes buddy I knew a post like this would only fuel the fire larger and not "Calm our UAS" as you title promised. I had to edit my post about 5 times to try and keep it to a managable size ;)

I know a place that has a National Resonator Style 0 for sale. The asking price for it is $2070 US. They will also take reasonable offers. You'd have to contact the store for more information though, here's the link to the store that it is at: Bookmans

Thanks, I'm waiting for the right one to find its way to me in person. One thing I've learned with ukes: I have to play them first. I'm picky that way!

Yes buddy I knew a post like this would only fuel the fire larger and not "Calm our UAS" as you title promised. I had to edit my post about 5 times to try and keep it to a managable size ;)

Did you add the Favilla Baritone you just bought?

Top Bottom