Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start to play the ukulele?

Great question, and a lot of great answers. I have spent may hrs lurking on this forum and this seems as good a place as any to dive in.

I tried to learn guitar starting in my early 20s and the bottom line is that I would just rather hear someone else play it than me. Wasn't getting good enough quick enough for it to be fun.

Fast forward 25+ years--my very musical 16 (now 17) year old son picks up the uke and a couple months later is playing in a talent show. I pick it up and realize that it just feels more doable to learn these chords. That night I have a very vivid dream in which I am playing original ukulele music apparently composed by my subconscious mind.

And off we go. Not that it's coming that easily to me, but it is fun enough that I've been practicing pretty much every day for the last 2 months. I am thrilled to have found my instrument.

I started in my mid-30's as a stress-reliever. I had zero musical background/ no musical experience. I'm nothing more than a chord strummer but I enjoy it/ like it/ good way to unwind after a crappy day at work. Plus a good community vibe for the instrument
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I was looking for an instrument that would fit in my suitcase to take with me on vacations.
    A bass was no option (I'm a bass player), and I couldn't find a small enough guitar.
    I ended up with a ukulele and found a new best friend in the intrument.
    Best choice ever!
    If your uke is too loud, your neighbours are wrong.

Hi there,

I am new to this board. I started playing Bass Guitar at the age of 18 - 19. Then stopped cause of the lack of people to play with and started again at the age of 35. Then I was soaked in totally and practiced four years all scales and chord arpeggios on the bass, I started to write my own instrumentals and took lectures from a Jazzmusician. After that time I started a Duo called 2Bass and we performed regularly on Tuesdays in a local club. The event ran for 2 Years, then we broke cause of changed interest. That Solo experience on the Bass leaded me to be disappointed playing melodies that are beautiful arpeggio work but more or less only to hear amplified. So the consequent step was to search for a similar instrument not to start totally new. And what can I say: The Tenor Ukulele fits exactly my needs. So the fist was a cheap 20 € something buy. That was a total waste of money, so I got a new one. A KALA Tenor. That went to my lovergirl, who just kept it, so I needed to get myself a Lanikai Ukulele. You can understand that I play with a low G, as a formerly bassist. An introduction and the story how I became a Uke. I am addicted to fingerstyle stuff of any kind.

Cheers Bernd

Wouldn't it be cool to have ukulele contests for amateurs like guitar and fiddle players have?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Uku has always been part of my life for as long as I could remember. But guitar and drums were my main instruments.

I'm from a very beautiful Island and uku has always been part of most of the Islanders. Easy to transport, easy to tune and easy to play. And I guess it fits in with the Island setting. Don't know exactly how it got there, that's another story, that was before my time.

I've always admired the ukulele but when my wife bought me my first uke for Father's Day one year it was over. I was hooked.
    ================================================== =========================
    Gretch G9120-SM
    Pono MGS Mango Soprano

Never let your computer know that you are in a hurry.

i suppose i started playing for somewhat superficial reason at first; score chicks at the campfire/shindig/beach....and to learn a couple songs a particular hottie happens to like, but found something else entirely. i wasn't learning for me. i wasn't playing for my own enjoyment. i'd get frustrated and put it down for few days, and then came to this site read many posts about what this instrument is for different people, and adjusted my scope on what the ukulele is for me. since then it has literally save my life. some times it's the only thing enjoyable; to play music(first instrument since piano at age 7). so, now that i am a few months into the ukulele, sound it makes has been really uplifting; the diversity of the music that it can make is also a really great thing and a challenge as well. music really does soothe the soul.
    Before you speak, before you act;
    imagine your mom, kid, and childhood idol are standing before you.
    Would you do/say the same thing?

Capitalization: the difference bewtween you helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and you helping your uncle jack off a horse.

You don't know what you don't know till you know you don't know it; the more you know, the more you realize how much you really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Ha ha, me too Amazing how life-changing my first little cheapie uke turned out to be. I think that uke had magical powers - after I moved on to bigger and better ukes, I gave it to a former guitarist friend who needed a bit of life-changing herself. It got her back into playing music after years of thinking she couldn't due to hand pain.
    That must be a healing, life affirming and changing ukulele. I'd like to play it!
    Click a photo for information!

I picked up the ukulele because, quite frankly, I was getting bored with playing all the other instruments that I've been blessed in learning how to play. Really, didn't know anything about the ukulele, until I did a bit of research about how it's tuned like the first four strings of the guitar capoed at the 5th fret. That, and the fact that I already knew the "My Dog Has Fleas" tuning...it was fairly easy to "get my feet wet" on playing the uke.

Thread Information