Rick Turner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't speak for his guitars, but as far as CR ukes go, I have played 3 and been very unimpressed. Heavy builds, muted sound, clunky neck profiles and poor weight distribution.

I own a CR and find it to be an amazing ukulele, completely opposite to your experiences. We all have different likes and dislikes, and you can find detractors for any uke builder.

I'd like to see Rick back. I enjoy his depth of knowledge and his passion.

I don't know Mr Turner, and as I have never played one of his instruments, I cannot say anything about them. However, his posts on the UU Forum have always been interesting and entertaining reading. It would be sad if he decides not to post anymore.

I don't know Mr Turner, and as I have never played one of his instruments, I cannot say anything about them. However, his posts on the UU Forum have always been interesting and entertaining reading. It would be sad if he decides not to post anymore.

I agree with you. I hope he comes back.

My custom CR projects quite well, and I love the tone. As far as I am concerned his ukes are in the top end of builders out there. I really want a MB and if I can ever get the finances together I will get one. That being said. Ideally I would keep both because their differences make them both good instruments in different ways. I think MB is top of them all, but I think they both have their place. I am sure Rick will be back. Yes,he has a cumudgeonly simon cowell approach to things, but that also makes for entertaining reading, and he is very knowledgeable in his craft. He does this sometimes with the forums.

I haven't read many of Rick's posts, but of the ones I had, he came off as arrogant...
...Then he got publicly surved up a big heaping of humble pie.
Taking those two things into consideration, I think his posting days here are over.

I believe Rick is currently engrossed in the monumental task of restoring Phil Lesh's Alembic bass, hopefully so it can make an appearance in Chicago during the July 4th weekend celebration of the 50th anniversary of The Grateful Dead.

http://www.dead50.net

Scooter

This reminds me of when I was on another forum that had a Uke subforum. There was a guy on there that was very insightful but didn't pull any punches either. Anyway, after a while he quit because sometimes there was heat generated. It seemed that at that time the subforum became somewhat bland and there was less traffic on it. I shouted out for him to come back and post, because it was good reads and I learned a lot even if I didn't always agree.

I haven't read many of Rick's posts, but of the ones I had, he came off as arrogant...
...Then he got publicly surved up a big heaping of humble pie.
Taking those two things into consideration, I think his posting days here are over.
Yep. That's it.

A little over a year ago I called Sylvan music and ordered one of his ukes. That same day I posted an innocent suggestion in the luthiers lounge about lacquer. Rick immediately jumped on his high horse and lacerated me with his verbal saber. The same day as soon as I read his post, I called Sylvan and asked if the uke had shipped. They said no, that it would ship the next day. I said good, cancel the order and refund my credit card.

The next day I had 3 PM's saying they would never buy anything from him after reading what he wrote. I've seen him cut up potential customer's left and right, brag about telling customer's to get lost, brag about being such a great luthier, brag about he has the right to act anyway he wants to his customer's, and if they don't like it, they can basically eat S... "Yeah, I fixed Buddy Holly's guitar" BFD. He was banned from UU once. I'd rather slash my wrists then buy anything from him.

Other than that, he's an alright guy

Well, I don't know Rick Turner and this post is not about him. I don't have an opinion either way. I think that I remember him posting some stuff that I read at one time or another. During my brief experiences playing the ukulele, I've run into a number of people who consider themselves the last word, when it comes to any or all aspects of the ukulele. I appreciate those people for what they bring to the discussion, but at the same time, I realize that they can be blinded by their own self importance, so I allow for that. In the words of one of my favorite historical figures and politician, Davey Crockett, when asked by a Washington reporter what he had found after visiting his constituents in Tennessee, he replied, "I found that I had a great better opinion of myself, than others had of me." I've personally kept that in mind with any of my endeavors in life. I think that some people sometimes need to be reminded of that, and this thread seems to bear that out. I also think that there are some that could take a lesson in humility from it. We could very well be talking about some others who have a "great better opinion of themselves." As congressman Crockett found out, not everyone shares that same opinion. People need to keep that in mind when they are lecturing the rest of us. Just a little thought that I wanted to share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom