Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone try fluorocarbons and go back to nylgut? Nyltech?

Default Anyone try fluorocarbons and go back to nylgut? Nyltech?

I've done more than my fair share of string experimentation, and like many, started with Aquilas (since they did a great job of becoming the factory strings on so many ukes). But also like many, I kind of "wrote them off" as good for "cheaper" ukes but the real action was in fluorocarbon territory.

While I always had some ukes that sounded better with nylgut, (two out of a dozen or so) the rest have been fluorocarbon only (Worth and SouthCoast mostly) for a couple of years now.

Lately I seem to be going back the other direction though, even with my more expensive ukes. I never liked Aquila Nylgut Baritones, too thick and the wounds too dead, squeaky, and unbalanced to my ear. Then I tried D'Addario's Nyltech strings. Supposedly it's a formula worked out with Aquila, and maybe it's the same formula as theirs, maybe it isn't, but I like them a lot. Their baritone EJ88B string set has thinner gauges and I like their tension, balance and warm sound. Even the wounds don't seem to be as squeaky when sliding.

Now I've got my tenor back on Aquilas with a Fremont Soloist Low-G, and I'm liking that a lot too. Strumming and finger-picking both.

I still have a bunch of other string set experiments in the queue, but I just thought I put it out there. Anyone else "write-off" Aquila and go to fluorocarbon? Have you tried going back? Have you tried Nyltechs? Anyone rocking nylgut on expensive ukes?
    Playlists: Me and My Ukulele | Chordious 2 Tutorials
    Primary Ukes: Black Bear #146 Baritone DGBd | KoAloha KCM-00 Concert gcea | Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple Soprano gcea
    Others: Lanikai LU-11 Soprano | Kamaka White-Label HF-1 Soprano | Kala KA-BE Baritone | Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Guitar
    For Sale: Kamaka HF-38 Liliu VIII | KoAloha KTM-06 Imaikalani

I had floro strings on my tenor and took it to colder weather for the holidays, and stupidly left it on the window seat of a bay window, I came back to find that the bridge had been pulled completely off. I believe the cold weather caused the strings to contract and because there was so much tension on them it caused the bridge to be pulled off. (But it could have been a number of reasons combined for that to happen. *The uke wasn't in the best shape when I bought it. ) So I am considering going back to nylon strings maybe aquila.

I replaced the stock Aquila on my Gretsch G9121 with Worth CT and it immediately sounded better. I did the same with my Lanikai quilted ash that was dull, but the CTs didn't make a difference so I went to Worth browns, which at first didn't do anything, but a few weeks later, I noticed a big improvement. My Kala cedar top stock Aquila strings sound great so I'm not touching them. My gypsy jazz is very subdued (which may be due to the heavier curly maple top, or just needs to open up) and came with Aquila, which I also changed to Worth CT, that didn't help, so I recently bought D'Addario t2 titanium advertised with more "projection" but when I received them, they just look like a little heavier fluorocarbons.

Depends on the uke. I have Aquila on my vintage Martin O and it sounds amazing, but they are often not the best choice for all mahogany instruments.

Nope. Not yet. Don't like 'em, and haven't found that any of my ukes like 'em either. Still open minded though :-). I give them a whirl on any new uke I get, and they typically quickly come off . I'm a Worth man, except on my new-to-me Martin C1K ... came with Martin 600's, changed to Worth CM (excited for the "improvement") ... played a bit and went right back to the Martins ... back to a sound I really like out of that uke.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Depends on the uke. I have Aquila on my vintage Martin O and it sounds amazing, but they are often not the best choice for all mahogany instruments.
    I second that. I've tried Worth Clear strings on my Kanile'a Concert and wasn't happy with them. Went back to Aquilas which seems to be the right choice for this uke.
    Put the Worth Clear strings on the Tom Sopranino now - a big improvement compared to the Aquilas.
    Pukanala Tenor - Aquila.
    Pukanala Concert - not quite sure yet, tried Martin M600 and Aquilas but neither is perfect. Will try Worth and Galli.
    My wife's Korala PUC-30 - Martin strings.
    Brüko Soprano - Aquila.
    RISA Soprano Stick - Worth Clear.

I wrote off D'Addario, although I might give them one last try in case I buy that Nalu ukulele I've been flirting with lately.

my new C1K sounds so good with the stock Martin strings i dont see a need to change.

my Kala tenor has been strung with Worth Brown for a few years now, but I switched to Ken Middleton's Living Waters yesterday - going to try this combo for a while and see how i like it.

i have always found Aqulas a bit flat and dull - and very thick...i dont really like the way they feel.

I have Aquila Nylguts on four of my five ukes including my most expensive one: my LFdM tenor. I've tried fluorocarbons on all and have gone back to Aquila on two of my tenors and two sopranos, including my 1920's Martin 2M. I love Aquila strings!

My Boat Paddle ML-Tenor on the other hand sound best with Fremont Blacklines and a Soloist Low-G.
    Last edited by NewKid; 02-01-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    2013 LFDM Tenor

I've got to say that I've NEVER found, Genuine Aquila strings to be dull. I suspect that MOST original equipment Aquila strings are actually fakes. Aquila was having BIG problems with fake Aquila strings.

I have Aqula Nylguts on my Wise tenor, my Copley tenor and other hand made instruments. I love the attack for picking. I have an 8 string Mele Koa tenor with Hilo strings which sound MUCH sweeter for strumming yet a little subdued for picking.

Anthony
    Last edited by anthonyg; 02-01-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Aquila was having BIG problems with fake Aquila strings. - Anthony
    You can test if the labeled Aquila strings are real by shining a black light on them, the strings will glow if they are real. I bought a small black light at my local hardware store just to test Aquila labeled strings. So far all of mine test out to be real.

Thread Information