Baritone CGDA or GDAE tuning help

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that tune your baritone to CGDA like a tenor banjo/guitar.

1. Can I use my standard DGBE strings to try it out CGDA tuning?

2. What strings do you use for CGDA?

3. Does anyone play a GDAE tuning?

4. Can standard DGBE strings be used to try GDAE tuning out?

5. What strings do you use for GDAE tuning?

I was thinking about buying a tenor guitar but with a couple of Baritones laying around I thought I would give the alternate tunings a try to see how I liked them. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding #s 1 and 2, I tune CGDA using the DGBE Aquila baritone guitar tuning set (part #ABGT) and the Aquila tenor six-string set (part #AT6). The first two strings from the ABGTset are saved, and the other two are tossed. That gives me the "CG". For the "DA" I take the third "E" and first "A"strings from the AT6 set and tune them "DA". This combination keeps the tension reasonably close to what the DGBE tuning pulls. To summarize:

Aquila NylGut
C - wound (from #ABGT, D string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
G - wound (from #ABGT, G string)(guitar tuning set, baritone)
D - .77mm (from #AT6, E string)(tenor six-string set)
A - .62mm (from #AT6, A string)(tenor six-string set)

As far as GDAE, haven't tried it on the baritone, but I don't use it much on my tenor guitar anymore.

Ton of information is available at southcoastukes.com. I have found this resource to be invaluable as I am currently playing linear CGEA on a baritone.
Stu.

3. Does anyone play a GDAE tuning?

4. Can standard DGBE strings be used to try GDAE tuning out?

Answer to "3" ... yes :)

Answer to "4" ... in part.

The treble string remains the same.
The 2nd string gets tuned down two semi-tones.
The 3rd string is the same as the old 4th string, but it'll probably be too short unless it's new. For "test" purposes it's quite possible to tie on a spare length of string (from the new 4th, see below) so's to reach the tuning mechanism.
The 4th string is a guitar 6th string.

Do note, for melody work, (and in the interests of "just trying it out"), a great many fiddle/mandolin arrangements make no use of the fourth (bass) string, meaning, unless you're needing a lot of 4-string chords, you can "get away" with just three strings. In this case, the "moved" third string can be attached to the fourth-string tuner temporarily and won't need to be any longer !!

YMMV, but it works for me :)

Last edited:
I've tried a variation on Kypfer's excellent advice above to convert a bari to GDAE
G = Guitar low E
D = Guitar A (my existing D was too short to reach the 2nd peg.)
A = Guitar G (my Bari B string's intonation went haywire when I detuned it to A)
E = Baritone E string

I used a $5 normal tension nylon D'Addario set from GC.
The 2nd (A) string feels like it could use a little more tension, so if this tuning sticks, I'll order a few different hi-tension guitar G's to try out.
my Bari has a 19.5 inch scale length.

so far so good. It's a challenge to make many of the mandolin chord shapes on a baritone fretboard, but a pleasure to work out fiddle tunes with the same geometry as a fiddle. Old Joe Clark, here I come!

thanks Kypfer!

Last edited:
Ukuleleblues wrote :
Thank you, just what I was looking for, great info!

peewee wrote :
so far so good. It's a challenge to make many of the mandolin chord shapes on a baritone fretboard, but a pleasure to work out fiddle tunes with the same geometry as a fiddle. Old Joe Clark, here I come!

thanks Kypfer!

You're very welcome, guys :)

As far as the chord shapes go, IMHO a lot of "mandolin" chord shapes have a wide stretch "just because you can" on the short fingerboard ... there are several instances I use where one can substitute an open string for an awkward 5th fret and still have a "full" chord, just a slightly different version of it.

Top Bottom