Strings for a 50s Harmony ukulele (yet another string question thread)

teruterubouzu

Reaction score
I picked up an early 1950s Harmony ukulele from Gryphon and have never quite fallen in love with it. It has Aquila Reds on it now, but I'm not enamored with the tone.

Do any of you have advice on strings that would warm it up? I've heard that Worths are good for vintage Harmonys, but I don't know which ones. Cheers!

I have a vintage Favilla and it wears Martin M600. they are fluorocarbon and sound good on it. inexpensive and readily available

I also have an old Harmony soprano. When I got it Curt Managan strings were on it. They were bit too dry sounding from my tastes so I restrung it with Martin fluros. I put the Managan strings on a 50's German made Hilo and those strings suited it much better.

I really like Worth Browns on old sopranos. (is yours a soprano?) Can give it a lovely warm tone. I do like the Martin fluorocarbons too tho. One thing to keep in mind that is not often discussed, is that intonation can be affected by different strings, and perhaps the string you like the tone of, might be a problem intonation wise. If your older Harmony does not have much compensation built into the bridge/saddle placement, a hard string like a fluorocarbon might play sharp as you play up the neck. But a softer nylon may remain better "in tune". For me, tone vs. intonation wise, intonation wins and tone has to take a back seat. If you have the ability to rework the setup and compensation, then aim for tone. But alas, some of the old Harmonys have an integrated saddle carved into the bridge and it's not a simple matter to modify.

Your clip on tuner will help you know if a harder string is negatively affecting your intonation. But if you never play up the neck, maybe not so big a deal. Tradeoffs!

Oops. I should have mentioned it was a concert. I don't play much up the neck. I am just wanting it to be a good strummer. Perhaps I'll try the Martin fluoros and Worth Browns and see which I like better. Thanks for the suggestions! It's easy to get in a muddle when you start looking at all of the options.

Top Bottom