Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pono MTD/MT weight/neck

Default Pono MTD/MT weight/neck

I am considering an online purchase of Pono MTD/MT.

I was wondering what's your expereince with the neck profile and weight of the ukulele. I found out that pro series deluxe with slotted headstock weights 730g which is even 100g more than my tenor electric Ohana!
    MTD/MT version could be a bit lighter though.

So far I thought I like thinner neck on my soprano uke and light ukuleles in general.

Pono seems to be gorgeous by sound and look but thse two properties looks like a deal breaker.

Can you share your experience?

Thanks!

Yes Pono is heavy, yes Pono has a chunky neck. Yes Pono is extremely well made, yes Pono has a great sound. The last two cancelled out the first two for me. Third and probably most important was how easy it is to play. I had a Pete Howlett custom koa tenor that I sold after I got my Pono. The Howlett was light as a feather and had a thin neck, I liked the Pono better.

No doubt neck thickness will play an important role in personal preferance and choice but I really don't think weight should make any difference if the uke sounds and plays great. This has been my personal experience.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I love the Pono Pro Classics but they are a bit of an oddity in that they are heavy and have very thick necks. However, it is also true of Ko'olau that they are also heavier than most ukes and also have thicker necks (not as thick as the Pono).

I had a Pono AT tenor and disliked it because the it was big, heavy, and had a thick neck. It didn't sound bad at all but it didn't excite me. After I got a custom Ko'olau I decided to give a Pro Classic a try and I love it. However, the neck is a bit of an adjustment. A ukulele neck is relatively narrow so I've found the thicker neck is really not a problem. In fact, in some respects it is a help. It can make it a bit easier to put your hand in the right position.

This experience has made me rethink things a bit. I think the Ponos and Ko'olaus get their sound, in part, from their large size. They also have excellent sustain. However, I would still recommend the Pro Classic models over the standard models.

I personally think that overall weight is overblown. Most lightweight ukes sound hollow to me and doesn't have the warmth, rich tone that I like. What is more important is balance where the head isn't too heavy and I can play comfortably without a strap. I don't want to feel that I have to use my left hand to hold the uke up as fingering is hard enough. i am only talking of tenors as that's what I mainly play.
    Last edited by Dan Uke; 02-08-2015 at 06:25 AM.

I've got an MTD - love it - solid uke, yes, chunky neck, yes, but not heavy, not uncomfortable - in fact one of the most comfortable tenors I've played - and I played it for a year on stage over MANY shows.

Certainly NOT head heavy in my hands.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Quote Originally Posted by nongdam View Post
    I personally think that overall weight is overblown. Most lightweight ukes sound hollow to me and doesn't have the warmth, rich tone that I like. Whar isore important is balance where the head isn't too heavy and I can play comfortably without a strap. I don't wNt to feel that I have to use my left hand to hold the uke up as fingering is hard enough. i am only talking of tenors as that's what I mainly play.
    That is exactly my idea what you said. I believe pono is great yet I am not sure about that thick neck. I like my thin neck soprano, where I have more space to work with my left hand. My way thicker neck on Ohana tenor feels just fine. I can't imagine having thicker neck.

I agree that overall weight is overblown - the key is balance. While the Ponos might weigh a few ounces more than some other ukes - it's not like they are lead weights. I'm inclined to think that overall weight has nothing to do with the sound. Balance matters. Bracing matters. Top thickness matters.

I agree with all that has been written below.

My experience is that a Pono neck and weight can be overcome in a tenor size for the quality sound, which is superb.

As to concert and soprano Ponos that I've owned, the police-baton neck and note-dulling heavy build were absolute deal-killers.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I agree with all that has been written below.

My experience is that a Pono neck and weight can be overcome in a tenor size for the quality sound, which is superb.
    This is my experience as well. How much thicker the Pono Pro-Classic neck was than my Cordoba 20TM-CE was a surprise to me even after I did a bunch of reading on it. However, the sound is fantastic and the playability superb.
    Steve
    http://www.feintuned.com
    Pono Pro-Classic ATSHC-PC with LR Baggs 5.0
    Cordoba 20TM CE

Quote Originally Posted by Jerwin View Post
    I am considering an online purchase of Pono MTD/MT.

I was wondering what's your expereince with the neck profile and weight of the ukulele. I found out that pro series deluxe with slotted headstock weights 730g which is even 100g more than my tenor electric Ohana!
    MTD/MT version could be a bit lighter though.

So far I thought I like thinner neck on my soprano uke and light ukuleles in general.

Pono seems to be gorgeous by sound and look but thse two properties looks like a deal breaker.

Can you share your experience?

Thanks!
    Pono is very heavy. I did not notice the neck being thick.
    I ended up buying a thinner neck Kanilea but notice thin is not always good because it feels like slipping off my hand.

Thread Information