Outdoor Ukulele Review (could be fun)

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I know that the Outdoor plastic ukes have been around for the past two years. I got UAS big-time this winter in Canada so I bought one of these Outdoor ukes and thought I should at least do a review.

I buried one in the snow as a test at -24 C / -12 F at the Billings Estate for 30 minutes near where I live in Canada. Review follows. hehe

cheers!

Petey

Petey,
You may have hit on something (count me in $$$). It may be a win/win for you and Jagermeister. They could take your idea of making a canteen model but fill it with Jager. Replace that deer with a Stag and bam....the JagerUke! You like yours chilled, and in your neck of the woods burying it in the snow is perfect! Hey I enjoyed your review and humor. Let me know when the royalties coming in from Jagermeister.....So Smooth...LD

Petey,
You may have hit on something (count me in $$$). It may be a win/win for you and Jagermeister. They could take your idea of making a canteen model but fill it with Jager. Replace that deer with a Stag and bam....the JagerUke! You like yours chilled, and in your neck of the woods burying it in the snow is perfect! Hey I enjoyed your review and humor. Let me know when the royalties coming in from Jagermeister.....So Smooth...LD

Hehe! Wow! Now you're adding to the madness! I love it. Never thought of Jagermeister in the uke's canteen! hehe LOL Yeah, too much snow here!

Petey

You buried it in the snow and then put it back, haha. Wow. Guess you should've used an Outdoor brand tripod too. Hilarious, Petey! I always enjoy your reviews and this was a good one. Well done on getting the best out of it, with your chunk-swing observations as well.

You buried it in the snow and then put it back, haha. Wow. Guess you should've used an Outdoor brand tripod too. Hilarious, Petey! I always enjoy your reviews and this was a good one. Well done on getting the best out of it, with your chunk-swing observations as well.

Thanks! I try to showcase the best of a uke that I can. Anyone can just diss stuff. I just can't fix that stubborn tripod. hehe I bought some WD-40 and will try it out. I need that tripod for Hawaii in two weeks.

Petey

Petey, I watched this last night half asleep and it woke me full up from all the laughing. Haha it was really funny! And informative, to boot! And I thought it was cold outside Philadelphia! Yikes… good luck up there! Stay thirsty, my friend :D -- Matt

Petey, I watched this last night half asleep and it woke me full up from all the laughing. Haha it was really funny! And informative, to boot! And I thought it was cold outside Philadelphia! Yikes… good luck up there! Stay thirsty, my friend :D -- Matt

Hi Matt! LOL Glad you're still awake and smiling!

You must be a "deer" friend of Punxsutawney Phil near Philly! ;-) I love that movie "Groundhog Day." Though, I'll be hitting Hawaii soon and can't wait! hehe Petey

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the review. Being in Toronto, I can relate to the need to have a ukulele that's winterized for our Canadian climate ;)

Only issue with the clear version is you can't hide stuff in the soundhole...hehe.

Jordan

The review was entertaining and enlightening. I had an outdoor uke and sent it back. Petey has a good point about using a uke for what it is good at, and it hadn't occurred to me that the outdoor uke might be good for generating sound effects. Almost all my playing is fingerpicking or strumming for accompaniment. It doesn't sound that bad for a percussive style of playing. For my style of playing it is just awful.

Hi Petey!

Thanks for making this review and sharing it with us.

While I do not have a good reason to get an ODU right now, I found your video both entertaining and informative.

You have a great sense of humor too.

I would also like to say that I have enjoyed many of your other videos, and when I see you have posted a new one, I am very excited to watch it.

-Booli

Great! I've missed my PeteyHoudini review fix!!

(so much so, I've been watching a lot of my kids' Lorax film in the hope that the [early-days] O'Hare Air supremo will start on a review. He's got the same wicked sense of humour but pursued a less creative path :)

Thanks everyone!

I know this uke has its haters but I bought it on a mere UAS whim (and late night wine! LOL) so I decided to show it at its best. I'm no camper, hiker, but I like to walk long distances. For me, these are not reviews but merely showcasing the fun of discovering a new uke! Sure, I take a week or more to learn about it and make up jokes that come to mind (that's not easy), but I then introduce the uke as a kind of comedy show. I'm no comedian, but a uke lends itself to comedy so easily and that appeals to my personality. It really is a percussive beast and Petey McCarty from Tennessee highlights it well with his Amazing Grace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-1imsKQeQ

I'm going to give away this uke to some avid camper friends.

@pondweed: Thanx! I never realized this one would be so funny. hehe

@JordanK:
LOL... yep, reminds of that movie about Johnny Cash hiding stuff in his guitar while going through the airport... the uke is no go! hehe

@katysax: Indeed, this uke is best suited for certain types of playing and not all!

@Booli: Thanks!

cheers!

Petey

A very good and entertaining review ,,,,but not keen on the uke to be honest ,,,will be looking out for your future reviews

Top Bottom