Kala EBY-C

No experience with this model, but it looks pretty sweet! And set up by HMS ... It'd be one I'd consider if I was looking for another uke at the moment.

JON ---

Check out Mainland Ukes....and their longneck pineapple concert (tenor neck). I had one and sold it to a friend, but I ordered another one for myself yesterday. all solid wood. Great uke....ask Mike if he has any "seconds" available.

paul

If I'm not mistaken, that ebony Kala was introduced in the last few weeks so it may be difficult to find anyone who owns one. I was considering it as well based on my good experience with my current Kala laminate.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

deschutestrout - I agree brother. It's pretty wood and you can't go wrong with HMS

Paul - thanks for the suggestion mate. And thank you also for your ongoing messages of friendship and support, I appreciate them a lot. Been a terrible 18 months. Hoping to get the ship righted this year somehow. But yes, will have a look at Mike's site and send him a message. Cheers brother.

photoshooter - I didn't realise this was a new model. Never owned a kala laminate but in truth, I don't think my ears are that discerning anyway...I seem to get as much joy from my painted mahalo as anything. All ukes sound pretty ok to me. :) Thanks for the info mate.

I haven't played this model, but I bought my girlfriend a Kala laminate a few months back, and I thought it was just fine. I imagine the picture of wood that's on the outside probably doesn't affect the tone that much, so I assume this one is just fine, too :p

I haven't played this model, but I bought my girlfriend a Kala laminate a few months back, and I thought it was just fine. I imagine the picture of wood that's on the outside probably doesn't affect the tone that much, so I assume this one is just fine, too :p
Haha. I think you're probably right, Rich. ;) Thanks for the comment mate.

Well, I spoke with Andrew direct on Friday and decided to purchase the uke on spec. Will update the thread once she arrives and I have played her a bit. Thanks for the replies on the thread gang. In the meantime, Corey has done a sound clip of the instrument which is more than a little reassuring. :worship:

Nice. I think Kala actually makes great instruments. They are really easy to play. And in my experience their laminate tops sound great, just a little on the quiet side. In your hands any uke is going to sound great. Can't wait to hear you play it. Maybe another joint park / ukulele review in our future?

JON --

I have a used Kala bari with a solid top and laminate back/sides that I got for $200 on UU. A famous northwest uke maker played it and said, "Why the hell am I making $2000 ukes? This sounds great!" Have fun!

paul

Top Bottom