When did "chords" become "tabs"?

Tabs are little pieces of paper with cute pictures of things like Porky Pig on them that you place under your tongue after some nice chem. major at MIT has made them and your friends at the Belmont st. house have acquired an entire sheet of them really cheap and it's going to be one long crazy summer back there in the middle of the 80's during which at some point you're going to find yourself in a car parked at and empty Logan Airport terminal at 3am listening to Joy Division very intently and it will all make perfect sense. All of it. Everything.

What about the colors?

I'm a stick in the mud too and don't like words to change but they do.

When I was a younger man, I could tell my friend I was feeling gay whilst sucking on a fag and he would understand that I was happy and smoking a cigarette.

BTW a tab was an almost finished cigarette in my day.

Don't believe a word? Ask any of the older Brits on here.....

Tony

ps When did Awesome come to mean slightly better than mediocre?

I'm a stick in the mud too and don't like words to change but they do.

When I was a younger man, I could tell my friend I was feeling gay whilst sucking on a fag and he would understand that I was happy and smoking a cigarette.

BTW a tab was an almost finished cigarette in my day.

Don't believe a word? Ask any of the older Brits on here.....

Tony

ps When did Awesome come to mean slightly better than mediocre?

Awesome post!

What about the colors?

I didn't notice the colors because that wall is busy undulating in a most distracting manner and I'm pretty sure my left shoe is chewing my foot a little but I'm not sure if it's affectionate or menacing. I'm monitoring the situation. and did you ever notice the squishy sound it makes when you rub your eye? That's kind of a cool sound. it's squishy.

and I also have no reason not to believe Deach when he says he has no idea what we're talking about. He has no reason to fib about such matters.

I didn't notice the colors because that wall is busy undulating in a most distracting manner and I'm pretty sure my left shoe is chewing my foot a little but I'm not sure if it's affectionate or menacing. I'm monitoring the situation. and did you ever notice the squishy sound it makes when you rub your eye? That's kind of a cool sound. it's squishy.

and I also have no reason not to believe Deach when he says he has no idea what we're talking about. He has no reason to fib about such matters.
Winnie the Pooh on acid.

OMG.. 5 minutes later and still laffing. This is epic. it should be your sig. Or should I say, cig.

Oh, man! Don't get me going. I was feeling quite mellow 'til I read this thread but now things keep popping in to my head like - When did the verb "To Win" come to mean "To Buy on Ebay"?

When eBay declared it so.

There was also a time when "I just lost the game" was completely harmless.

I do believe that "win" within the Ebay terminology is in part due to the nature of bidding at auction which is in itself a form of competition. The auction and the prize goes to the final and highest bidder among the throngs who compete for the honor (or ukulele as it were.)
It's also probably a not so subtle psychological ploy by the marketing wing of Ebay to couch the process within game terms in order to drive the competitive impulse in bidders to not "lose" an auction and drive the auction price up. If you don't place another bid, you're going to be a loser and nobody wants to be a loser.

Oh, man! Don't get me going. I was feeling quite mellow 'til I read this thread but now things keep popping in to my head like - When did the verb "To Win" come to mean "To Buy on Ebay"?

I think their site just evolved faster than they can make those changes. Ebay used to not have the Buy It Now feature so everything was 'won' through auctions. When they added Buy It Now, changing the wording plus the extra programming it that goes along with it was probably low on their priority list (at least, that's how we prioritize things in my dept - bug fixes come first, cosmetic fixes come later.)

tabs

Im with you tabs are tablature chords are chords,its always good if us old'ns can enlighten the young.lol
Keep on plinking.:music::music::music:

To your point about Tabs (not digressions regarding ebay or what you suck on in your free time:p)
There is a forum on UU for Song Help, and a forum for Tabs, there is no forum for Chords. So, my question is, if you figure out the chords for a song and you want to share here on the forums, where would you post it? This is for a completed song, not one needing help.
I ask, as I do not want to upset the delicate sensibilities of you fine gentlemen by intermingling my course, juvenile chords with your sophisticated, refined tablature.

There is a forum on UU for Song Help, and a forum for Tabs, there is no forum for Chords. So, my question is, if you figure out the chords for a song and you want to share here on the forums, where would you post it? This is for a completed song, not one needing help.
I ask, as I do not want to upset the delicate sensibilities of you fine gentlemen by intermingling my course, juvenile chords with your sophisticated, refined tablature.
You could always post tablature of the chords in the Tabs forum. ;)

To your point about Tabs (not digressions regarding ebay or what you suck on in your free time:p)

They recently renamed it to say "Ukulele Tabs and Chords." :nana:

You don't post much, but I love it when you do.

Top Bottom