Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Madeira - and I visited a luthier workshop! Machetes, rajaos....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    2,231

    Default Madeira - and I visited a luthier workshop! Machetes, rajaos....

    Yes, fellow UUers, we were away on holiday in Madeira last week, home of the machete, (braguinha) and rajao, fore-runners of the ukulele as you will probably know - and we had a surprise visit to a luthier's workshop - Carlos Jorge Pereira Rodrigues, who builds these fascinating instruments! I've been busy doing blog posts all about it, if you're interested.... see link below to the blog!
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2


    My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    I like your blog, and especially the ones about the Machete. I live in Puerto Rico during the winter, and here the Cuatro and the Tiple are two stringed instruments that are very popular. Many of my friends here have suggested that I learn to play the Cuatro, but I have my hands full with the uke. Ha ha, is that a pun? Also, the Cuatro is somewhat limited in what you can play, or perhaps what is available to play especially outside of PR. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your blog, and you can count me in as a follower from now on.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    @Rllink - Thanks a lot, I'm glad you got something out of it - and thanks for becoming a follower, I do appreciate that! I do believe there are some players on here who play the Cuatro...
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2


    My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barefootgypsy View Post
    Yes, fellow UUers, we were away on holiday in Madeira last week, home of the machete, (braguinha) and rajao, fore-runners of the ukulele as you will probably know - and we had a surprise visit to a luthier's workshop - Carlos Jorge Pereira Rodrigues, who builds these fascinating instruments! I've been busy doing blog posts all about it, if you're interested.... see link below to the blog!
    That's very cool. I envy your adventures there. Unfortunately, here in China I am blocked from seeing your blog.

    I have the "Collection of Pieces for Machete" and have played through some of the material on uke. I love it all very much. And I often wonder, "hey, are there 20th or even 21st century compositions for the Machete?" I mean it doesn't make sense to me that the Madeirans would simply stop playing/composing for it after the late 19th century. Did you get a sense of any such music?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke El U View Post
    That's very cool. I envy your adventures there. Unfortunately, here in China I am blocked from seeing your blog.

    I have the "Collection of Pieces for Machete" and have played through some of the material on uke. I love it all very much. And I often wonder, "hey, are there 20th or even 21st century compositions for the Machete?" I mean it doesn't make sense to me that the Madeirans would simply stop playing/composing for it after the late 19th century. Did you get a sense of any such music?
    I do believe that the players Roberto Moniz and Roberto Moritz are keeping the music of the machete alive, and it is a living instrument in Madeira! Roberto Moniz certainly has video'd some original pieces - I would think he would be using traditional DGBD tuning. Some of his stuff is on Vimeo rather than Youtube, but I should think he can be contacted. It's a shame you can't see my blog in China.... can you get Youtube and Vimeo?
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2


    My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Very cool to be able to see the ancestors of the ukulele being built--they look so similar!
    Laura

    Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer75 View Post
    Very cool to be able to see the ancestors of the ukulele being built--they look so similar!
    They do look virtually the same!

    @Luke El U - this poster has just gone up in Funchal - you'll see that it's saying that these performers will be performing some 21st century pieces!machete funchal poster.jpg
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2


    My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barefootgypsy View Post
    @Luke El U - this poster has just gone up in Funchal - you'll see that it's saying that these performers will be performing some 21st century pieces!machete funchal poster.jpg
    Thanks for the tip! Now, I'm really curious as to these 21st century compositions. Last week I wrote to this address: aferam.madeira@gmail.com
    asking about new Machete music. I wasn't sure at the time I sent it, but now I think that might be the address for Mr. Moniz or Mr. Moritz. I haven't received
    any response yet, but will let you know if/when I do.

    At work we have an effective VPN that breaks through the Great Firewall of China, so yes there I can check out the YouTube and Vimeo vids, and hopefully your blog, when Chinese New Year vacation is over. Happy Year of the Sheep (or is that a Goat?)!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke El U View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Now, I'm really curious as to these 21st century compositions. Last week I wrote to this address: aferam.madeira@gmail.com
    asking about new Machete music. I wasn't sure at the time I sent it, but now I think that might be the address for Mr. Moniz or Mr. Moritz. I haven't received
    any response yet, but will let you know if/when I do.

    At work we have an effective VPN that breaks through the Great Firewall of China, so yes there I can check out the YouTube and Vimeo vids, and hopefully your blog, when Chinese New Year vacation is over. Happy Year of the Sheep (or is that a Goat?)!
    Great stuff, Happy New (Chinese) Year to you too, (and Happy Sunday.....) and I hope you get a response from your inquiries!
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2


    My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Finally got a chance to check out your blog - very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •