Repair

murdoch

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, great forum. Ive seen a pono pks 1 that i might be able to get quite cheap. The only thing is it has a small 3.1/2" long crease Apparently the gloss isnt cracked so could it be just the way the wood has been cut? If the wood is cracked do you think it could be repaired?
Thanks

That's a weird place for it to be...I have a similar, although more subtle, crease on my concert where the bookmatching joint is. Is this on a joint?

I've noticed the same phenomena on other glossy ukes. Holding them at an angle to light reveals some wave-like distortion on the top. I was thinking it could be the result of string tension. Seeing it on glossy instruments, I wonder if it's only visible with a reflective surface. I'll have to look closer at some flat-finished pieces.

I don't like the look of that. If it is a crack, or an area of weakness in the wood, it would not be an easy repair. You could try applying gentle pressure on the bridge (gentle!), and watching how the surface reacts. That may answer some questions. If not, then the uke would have to be a VERY good price before I would consider buying it.

Ukantor.

Thanks for the quick replies. Apparently its practically brand new and arrived to its owner like this, and the line can only be seen when the light hits it in a certain way. I probably will just buy a new one instead. This will be my first uke so i didnt want to spend a fortune, but you get what you pay for i suppose.
Thanks again :)

Top Bottom