65. You may not vote on this poll
  • slotted head stock

42 64.62%
  • regular

23 35.38%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slotted headstock or none

Default slotted headstock or none

Ive noticed mostly most professional ukulele players have a slotted headstock, and also most high model customs have a slotted in them.

I like how the tuner knobs are facing back and not sticking out like mickey mouse ears on non slotted headstock.

If you had a choice would you want a slotted head stock on your ukulele?
    Last edited by tangimango; 02-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.

I have two standard head ukes and one slotted. From the time I start playing until I put the uke down, the design of the headstock is not relevant. When I glance over at the three ukes sitting on their floor stands, my eyes are drawn to the slotted headstock.

For all the qualities and benefits that you might read here in subsequent posts, my take is that the only significant distinction between either approach is esthetic. I like the look of a well executed slotted headstock. OTOH, I have seen some slot heads that reflected poor attention to detail. Slotted heads don't allow much leeway on construction quality. A poorly made one looks really tacky.
    MP Mango Cedar Tenor
    Pono ATDC Acacia Cutaway Tenor
    Pono TE-2 Chambered Acacia Spruce Tenor
    Dupont D Hole Koa Spruce Cutaway Tenor

Pro:
    Tuners all turn the same way.
    Tuners are way easier to reach.

Con:
    They are a pain to restring.

All other things being equal, I think a slotted headstock looks really neat. But I'd never trade sound quality for one.

I have both and find no difference between them, at least that I can discern. I've seen beautifully crafted designs with intricate layering and purfling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Guy View Post
    Pro:
    Tuners all turn the same way.
    Tuners are way easier to reach.

Con:
    They are a pain to restring.
    Exactly THIS^.

Slotted headstock is a PITA with a string winder if you want to lay the uke flat on it's back to restring, but the ones that have the peg to the side are much easier in this position. (I do lots of changing and testing of all different kinds of strings).

Quote Originally Posted by Photojosh View Post
    All other things being equal, I think a slotted headstock looks really neat. But I'd never trade sound quality for one.
    with this too. On the right uke, it looks nice, on others, not so much to my eye. Sound, playability, proper tuner function and intonation of an instrument are far more important to me than visuals.

My Fluke and Flea ukes have a sort of slotted headstock, but they come no other way. Other ukes are with a solid headstock. No worries either way in playability or sound to me.

I think a uke with NO head-stock would be difficult to tune, but maybe I'm over thinking it

I think the slotted headstock is SLIGHTY easier to re-string, with the disadvantage, on my kala at least, of being thicker, so harder to fit-up the Snark. Other than that, it's your uke, so get what makes you happy.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Quote Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
    I think a uke with NO head-stock would be difficult to tune, but maybe I'm over thinking it

Risa Uke Solid!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

They look good.

That's about it

Just my two cents worth, I think that the slotted ones look chunky and heavy.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information