Kala Ka-T?

thomasnibaker

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time on this forum so forgive me if I say stupid.

Anyways, I started really getting into ukulele a few months ago, and I borrowed my music teacher's Makala MK-T, and I loved it. Now that I'm on spring break, my family is taking a trip to maui and I had to return the ukulele to my teacher. While i am here, I decided to buy a Kala KA-T for myself. The man at the store said that it was a nice upgrade from the MK-T. I was in a rush, so I didn't really get to look around and try other ones, so I just went with it. After coming back home, I did some research online and a lot of people said the KA-T didn't "sound as good as others in the price range," and stuff like that. I'm starting to worry that I made a wrong choice, and I should have spent a little bit more time choosing one I liked. Since I have only tried out 3 ukuleles, I don't have much experience as to what is good and what isn't. Should I return the KA-T and get something else? If so, what should it be? (In the price range)

Thanks!

Thomas Baker

I bought one for my great nieces to learn on and it is quite loud (It has a relatively deep body). There may be others that are better but where I am, there is not much in the way of options unless you buy on line. If you have them available to play, I would certainly play others to compare for yourself.

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum. I would say just make sure you get a proper "set-up" so that the strings are not too high / frets are not sharp / etc. And put some good strings on it (everyone has their own opinion on that but usually Aquila's or Worth's or Martin's are good common string choices). In the price range, Kala makes a good solid starter uke. Eventually you'll want more, more, more ukes in other sizes/ other styles though!

Not much of a step up from the Makala. If you can return it without losing any money, there are quite a few ukes that would constitute a "step up" from the Makala, including the solid topped Ohana TK-20. MIMs or Uke Republic can get you straightened out.

Welcome to UU, Thomas! :)

I'd like to clarify, how much would you be willing to spend? If you already know that you really like playing ukulele, I'd suggest spending a bit more, although before that you should go to a couple of ukulele stores and try out as many ukes as you can.

I haven't tried Ka-T, but I used to have Ka-C (that's the concert size version of that uke). I think that it was quite decent for the money.

Welcome to UU, Thomas! :)

I'd like to clarify, how much would you be willing to spend? If you already know that you really like playing ukulele, I'd suggest spending a bit more, although before that you should go to a couple of ukulele stores and try out as many ukes as you can.

I haven't tried Ka-T, but I used to have Ka-C (that's the concert size version of that uke). I think that it was quite decent for the money.

My price range would be around the same price as the KA-T, which I bought for about 130.

Thanks for the help!

For the price, the Kala KA-T is a good, solid choice, worth every penny. True, if you spend just a bit more, you can get better, such as an Islander MT-4 or a Gretsch 9120. If you buy used (such as through craigslist), you can do a lot better for the same dough, but you may need some patience.

My first uke was a (used) KA-B baritone. I still have it and still enjoy playing it, despite having nicer solid-top and all-solid ukes—it still surprises me what a beautiful, loud tone it has for such a low-cost instrument. I have no regrets at all about buying it.

If the choice is between spending money on an upgrade or on a setup, go for the setup. Consider setup a necessity for ukes in this price range, which almost always come with high action, and possibly slightly uneven frets or a slight, correctable intonation drift. If you can spring for both an upgrade and a setup on the upgrade, it's worth considering.

Hi,

I have actually never heard of the term "setup" before, but I did some looking around and I figured out what it was. Although, I still have one question. I do assume that the ukulele stores do the setup, but how much would it be?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have actually never heard of the term "setup" before, but I did some looking around and I figured out what it was. Although, I still have one question. I do assume that the ukulele stores do the setup, but how much would it be?

Thanks!

Setup - Some stores do, some stores claim to, and a lot don't.

For a really good explanation of a setup on a ukulele (in fact, most stringed instruments) check out http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-setup . The time reviewing the page and seeing the video will be worth it.

If I understand your post correctly, you went to Hawaii, bought a ukulele, and are now home. Is home somewhere on the mainland? If so, returning your uke would mean shipping your uke. If that's the case you should keep it. Your post is full of mixed tenses, so the order of events is a bit confusing. Maybe you mean you're "home" in the hotel and haven't left Maui yet.

Look, you got to go to Hawaii, and came home with a ukulele. It's worth keeping just as a memory of the trip! What was the name of the store in Hawaii where you bought the Kala?

For $130 the Kala KA-T is a nice ukulele. I'm considering a Kala TEM for myself. It is indeed a "step up" from the Makala, as Makala is a budget brand owned by Kala. Give a listen here:
https://vimeo.com/117258820

Kala has a lot of fans on this forum, and factory reps have posted on UU. Enjoy your purchase... and welcome to Ukulele Underground.

Last edited:
I have a Kala KA-T. It was my first uke and I bought it based upon many discussions here, and answers to my questions at the time.

It was the CORRECT choice for ME for a starter uke. That was nearly 2 yrs ago, and it's holding up well, and sounds better now than when it did new (which could by my ear, or maybe from playing the snot out of it daily for 9 months when I first got it (2-3 hrs per day), (maybe it's 'opening up', which I'm not sure happens with a laminate)

I paid $119 for it from a local shop that is a Kala dealer.

Out of the box intonation and action were very good, and later when I learned how to adjust the nut slots, I was able to improve the intonation.

Since then I've even installed a Mi-Si pickup in it.

Now, I have nicer, more expensive ukes, but this one holds it's own and I'm still very happy with it.

So this is what I'm getting so far from the whole thread. The Kala KA-T is a good uke for the price. If I have the extra budget, I can do a "Setup" which will basically make the uke sound a lot better. A setup should be considered before trying to upgrade or trade for a different uke. Did I miss anything?

Since I'm in maui, the store I bought the uke from was a small store called "Lahaina Music." They seemed pretty legit. They specialized in ukuleles but sold other various instruments as well. I'm not sure if they do setups, but I can call and ask.

A setup should be considered before trying to upgrade or trade for a different uke. Did I miss anything?

Sound AND play better.

Adjusting the nut slots will improve intonation. Adjusting the saddle with 'compensation' will also improve intonation, and adjusting the saddle HEIGHT will improve playability by raising or lowering that action, i.e. the "STRING HEIGHT above the frets" to YOUR playing preferences.

Levelling, crowning, dressing and polishing frets will improve both sound and playabiliy by preventing buzzing strings, and the dressing of the frets should include filing the fret ends smooth so they do not cut into your fretting hand will ALSO be part of improving playability.

ALL of the above are considered, on an AS-NEEDED basis, depending upon what the instrument needs as per your preferences, for a comprehensive setup. But not all of these procedures may in fact be necessary on every instrument. YMMV.

I think it's all relative, at no point have you said that you don't like the uke or don't think it sounds great. You're only going form what you've read. If it's doing the job for you and you enjoy playing it I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you like it and it feels good to you, that's all that matters. I've played amps by brands which people disliked purely on name BUT when they heard me play, complimented me on my tone ... Just enjoy your purchase already!

What I see is Ive bought a ukulele but after reading about what strangers have to say about it on the internet I now question if I really like it anymore. So I'll go ask more strangers on the internet what they feel I should feel and do.

Am I close?

Whats wrong with your new ukulele? Is there anything wrong with it except what you read?

Forgot to add that my Kala KA-SEM is the ukulele that sits next to me and get the most play.

~I agree with enjoy your purchase.~

Last edited:
I have a KA-C that sounds great so I don't see why a KA-T wouldn't be worth the money.

It seems to be a good Uke for the price. Yes you could spend a bit more to upgrade but you could say that about anything. If your budget was let's say $160, people would say you can upgrade even more and get a nice $200 Uke. For what your budget is, you have a fine ukulele. Be happy with it.

Haha thanks guys, I see your point. I was just a little bit worried that I didn't get the best bang for my buck. And I'm actually not back home, I'm still at Maui. My real home is in California, so I don't think I would have any luck there.

I am pretty happy with it, but I will consider a setup.

Thank you so much!

Thomas

kala ka-t isn't a bad starter uke.
But it's almost the same as the makala mk-t.
You get aquila strings, binding, and slightly better closed tuners with the ka-t.
Otherwise, I think it's pretty much the same uke..
If you replaced your mk-t strings with Aquila's, and blind tested, they'd probably feel and sound the same.

If it were me, I'd go back to the store, try out more ukes, and probably exchange it for something with a solid top that will sound like an upgrade to what you already have.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kala/kala-ka-st-solid-spruce-top-gloss-finish.html

If you can't spring for the extra $ for a solid top, maybe save your money until you can, and instead upgrade the stock strings on your makala mk-t to something better. If you put aquila's on the mk-t, it will pretty much be a ka-t sound wise. You can't hear binding, or tuners.

Top Bottom