KoALANAS coming back

Da mongoose has whispered that KoALANAS ...those imports from koaloha with the unibraces are back by summertime...I hear also they will be in solid koa versions....hmmm

MGM with the scoops!

i hear they will be priced competetively with laminates.....

A solid koa version being competitvely priced with laminates...interesting.

I have yet to try a KoAlana...where's Dustin with his inside scoops?

Their website states MSRP $145 but doesn't state what kind of solid wood it is. Either way, that's one heck of a deal. I wonder if they're Hawaiian made or outsourced.

I'm pretty sure that KoAlanas are foreign made, and probably setup in Hawaii at best. And by that, it probably means we have Kaneohe Dustin on these forums getting a job other than sanding in the factory: screwing on tuners and putting on strings.

Previous KoAlanas were made in China with Sapele. I had a concert and it sounded very good. The problem was terrible Q.C. Mine had a seriously bad fret job with some of the higher frets sticking out past the fretboard and one actually raised off the fretboard. Hopefully the next batch will be better. They are certainly a great value for the sound they put out, but they do look kind of like knock-off KoAlohas. Then again, they ARE basically authorized KoAloha knock-offs.

it would be best to ask Paul. but from what ive heard, we were switching factories, because the last one was doo-doo. its taking a while to switch, which is why koalana's havent been around recently. as far as i know, theyll be made out of solid mahogany, but of course, the Okami's probably have other plans in store (like this other one i cant mention, but is sooooo juicy).

Quality control an issue

I bought a Koalana Concert last summer, it is my first ukulele. What I noticed was that the 13th fret is not square with the body. This means that either the fret is not square itself, or the neck is off. As a rank beginner I did not know enough to know whether to send it back to MGM or not, so I did not. I have been happy with the uke, and just try not to notice the flaw. I love the look of the ukulele, and really hope that the new ones are a little better.

Aloha from the Redneck Riviera!

Top Bottom