Keepers: Soprano Size

As much as I find sopranos a lot of fun to play, I find myself gravitating towards my MB concert and Kinnard concert almost all of the time. Like you, I am selling off what I am not playing and to me that means that if I haven't played it in a few months, it goes.

Mitch

I am selling off what I am not playing and to me that means that if I haven't played it in a few months, it goes.

This is a great system for all-around minimizing, actually. I live in a 250 square foot house with a single 27" wide closet, and I have a 6-month rule with everything from ukes to clothing. In the almost 10 years I've lived there, I've never once regretted passing something along to its next owner.

Last edited:
This is a great system for all-around minimizing, actually. I like in a 250 square foot house with a single 27" wide closet, and I have a 6-month rule with everything from ukes to clothing. In the almost 10 years I've lived there, I've never once regretted passing something along to its next owner.

I like your rule janeray and have a similiar one myself. If it doesn't get used, played, worn.....it goes. Not enough room or time for things not being interacted with.

I gradually came to the realization that I prefer soprano ukes and have gradually sold off some fine ukes that did not fit my style. Currently, my fleet is small but oh-so satisfying.

I still regret selling my Mainland Honeybee, but what are you gonna do? I do have a 20s Martin S1 which I can't imagine parting with.

I've been paring down of late, as well. I've got a Mele soprano that I tend to use as my travel uke, but I may just let it go, as the fretboard is 1.5" which is not to my taste.

I've recently let go a couple of Ukes that I really liked, but rarely played. I don't miss them a bit. That Honeybee, though, was a daily player. When I got my custom, I thought I wouldn't need the honeybee anymore so off it went. At least it's in good hands - I know koadependent enjoys it.

Well, this is old thread, but I’d like to resurrect the question...

So, what SOPRANO do you miss the most?

I have been trying out ukes since about 2004. There have been many delivered to my home, and most of them have ended up on the counter of a local USPS on their way to a new home.

There are some sopranos that I REALLY MISS:

1. Pohaku “Shield” - Larch and Ribbon Mahogany
2. Ko’olau pineapple with beautiful Koa
3. 2018 Kamaka Pineapple - just sold this one to someone in Australia, and I miss it!!
4. My first KoAloha soprano

Wish I had the chance to go through all the sopranos that have passed through my hands and pick the top (5) to keep for life! I have told myself, “No more buying and selling!” It is very difficult to stop!

What about you, which sopranos do you miss the most?

Only one, a Magic Fluke Flea. Sold it to a gentleman in Ireland and I really hope he's taking good care of it. For the price and considering the construction and materials, those are just insanely good ukes. Ultimately, I didn't play it that often which usually mean that I'll sell it. But I do miss it nonetheless, so much so that I'm seriously considering getting a new one, maybe with a hardwood fretboard this time.

The one I would've missed the most, by far, is my KoAloha KSM-00 if I had sold it. I actually had it packed and ready to be sent to Australia but because of Covid all postage from where I live to Australia was delayed indefinitely. What a massive stroke of luck that was in the end. I'd be kicking myself right about now if I had been able to send it. That little uke is now one of my favourites. Funny how these things go sometimes...

I answered this the first time with my keepers of sapele KoAloha Opio and Martin OXK. But now, more than five years later I would add my walnut Brueko and my mahogany Mele.

Top Bottom