Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keepers: Soprano Size

As much as I find sopranos a lot of fun to play, I find myself gravitating towards my MB concert and Kinnard concert almost all of the time. Like you, I am selling off what I am not playing and to me that means that if I haven't played it in a few months, it goes.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
    I am selling off what I am not playing and to me that means that if I haven't played it in a few months, it goes.
    This is a great system for all-around minimizing, actually. I live in a 250 square foot house with a single 27" wide closet, and I have a 6-month rule with everything from ukes to clothing. In the almost 10 years I've lived there, I've never once regretted passing something along to its next owner.
    Last edited by janeray1940; 02-23-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: need new reading glasses

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    This is a great system for all-around minimizing, actually. I like in a 250 square foot house with a single 27" wide closet, and I have a 6-month rule with everything from ukes to clothing. In the almost 10 years I've lived there, I've never once regretted passing something along to its next owner.
    I like your rule janeray and have a similiar one myself. If it doesn't get used, played, worn.....it goes. Not enough room or time for things not being interacted with.

I gradually came to the realization that I prefer soprano ukes and have gradually sold off some fine ukes that did not fit my style. Currently, my fleet is small but oh-so satisfying.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Maui Music Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Kamaka Long Neck Soprano Pineapple (koa)

I still regret selling my Mainland Honeybee, but what are you gonna do? I do have a 20s Martin S1 which I can't imagine parting with.

I've been paring down of late, as well. I've got a Mele soprano that I tend to use as my travel uke, but I may just let it go, as the fretboard is 1.5" which is not to my taste.

I've recently let go a couple of Ukes that I really liked, but rarely played. I don't miss them a bit. That Honeybee, though, was a daily player. When I got my custom, I thought I wouldn't need the honeybee anymore so off it went. At least it's in good hands - I know koadependent enjoys it.
    MELE KOA/MAHOGANY SOPRANO | MARTIN STYLE 1 (1920s)
    TALSMA HOLLYWOOD CONCERT | JUPITER CREEK ELECTRIC CONCERT
    LANIKAI O8-EK | MAINLAND RED CEDAR BARITONE

YOUTUBE

Well, this is old thread, but I’d like to resurrect the question...

So, what SOPRANO do you miss the most?

I have been trying out ukes since about 2004. There have been many delivered to my home, and most of them have ended up on the counter of a local USPS on their way to a new home.

There are some sopranos that I REALLY MISS:

1. Pohaku “Shield” - Larch and Ribbon Mahogany
    2. Ko’olau pineapple with beautiful Koa
    3. 2018 Kamaka Pineapple - just sold this one to someone in Australia, and I miss it!!
    4. My first KoAloha soprano

Wish I had the chance to go through all the sopranos that have passed through my hands and pick the top (5) to keep for life! I have told myself, “No more buying and selling!” It is very difficult to stop!

What about you, which sopranos do you miss the most?

Only one, a Magic Fluke Flea. Sold it to a gentleman in Ireland and I really hope he's taking good care of it. For the price and considering the construction and materials, those are just insanely good ukes. Ultimately, I didn't play it that often which usually mean that I'll sell it. But I do miss it nonetheless, so much so that I'm seriously considering getting a new one, maybe with a hardwood fretboard this time.

The one I would've missed the most, by far, is my KoAloha KSM-00 if I had sold it. I actually had it packed and ready to be sent to Australia but because of Covid all postage from where I live to Australia was delayed indefinitely. What a massive stroke of luck that was in the end. I'd be kicking myself right about now if I had been able to send it. That little uke is now one of my favourites. Funny how these things go sometimes...

I answered this the first time with my keepers of sapele KoAloha Opio and Martin OXK. But now, more than five years later I would add my walnut Brueko and my mahogany Mele.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Drewek, Zither Heaven, First Act

Thread Information