Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ker-BRANGGGGGGG!

Default Ker-BRANGGGGGGG!

That's the sound my Martin LX1 made, quite loudly, about 2 feet behind my head. Examination revealed a large crack on the soundboard from the bridge to the tail, with a smaller crack next to it. This instrument is just a wall hanger, but it does serve as a warning, and sent me scurrying to make sure all of my humidifiers were well soaked in my players. Humidity is 22% in the room. This is a first for me, I've never HEARD an instrument crack like that before. This one has been on the wall for years, but I keep it tuned just so I can play it once and a while to remind me why it gets wall duty. (The neck is too narrow and the outside strings hang right over the edge of the frets. I built a new nut to fix that but then the spacing was too tight... Plus i only gave $75 for it.)

It's still winter, check those humidifiers.
    image.jpg

Oh my, that would be unnerving to hear! It's important for us in the Cold North to keep our ukes humidified for these few months. When I finally move to Hawaii, I'll happily give my humidifiers away.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer75 View Post
    Oh my, that would be unnerving to hear! It's important for us in the Cold North to keep our ukes humidified for these few months. When I finally move to Hawaii, I'll happily give my humidifiers away.
    It only took one trip to Maui to convince me that would be an awesome place to live. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cfiimei View Post
    It only took one trip to Maui to convince me that would be an awesome place to live. :-)
    Maui no ka oi!
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Same thing happened go my Lanikai monkey pod tenor cutaway while I was procrastinating my conversion of a bookshelf into a humidor cabinet. You know I finished it the next day.

[IMG]

Ask in Uke Tech Support I think it can sing again.

[Hey mike, how is that one board even holding all those ukuleles and books on top of that single shelf. Looks like its gonna bend and fall? I hope its not mdf.

QUOTE=kohanmike;1655223]Same thing happened go my Lanikai monkey pod tenor cutaway while I was procrastinating my conversion of a bookshelf into a humidor cabinet. You know I finished it the next day.

[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

<sarcasm>but but but..... humidity cracking is an urban legend to make people buy sponges they don't really need.....</sarcasm>

Even with a whole house humidifier, I'm down to 38% even though I've got my humidifier set to 55%. This current cold snap is nasty. I've been leaving them cased... "just in case" ba dum pum.

Uhm I've been running a room humidifier in my studio room and while I've had to fill it more than usual this winter here in New England it's been keeping up he humidity at 45% for my wall of Ukes.

I don't use individual humidifiers except when I travel with a Uke.

No issues since 2009
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

Thread Information