Buzzing and cracks on fretboard

gabrielorlando92

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have an Islander ASARM-T (solid acacia body). In the last week, I've noticed a buzz on my A string, but only on the 4th fret. I recently changed my Aquila strings to Worths so I thought maybe it was the string, but the same thing occurred on my Aquila A string. Today I also noticed that I have a number of small cracks on my fretboard mostly from the 12th fret down to the soundhole. Could the cracks be causing the buzzing? It literally is only on the 4th fret. There is some light-to-no buzzing on my other 3 strings at that fret, but it is incredibly significant on my A string. Every other fret sounds great, so I know it's just the one fret. This is my first post and I'd really appreciate any and every insight you guys may have.

Thanks

You're not alone. Every winter you read identical posts here about sudden and strange problems with ukes. You're uke sounds like it's severely dehydrated. To begin with you can hang it in the bathroom when you take a hot shower. Alternatively you can put the uke in one of those big plastic bins (the kind that store under the bed are perfect) with a tight fitting lid. Wet down a sponge and put it in a bowl next to the uke. From then on take the proper precautions to humidify where the uke is kept, be it in the case, closet, room, etc. It could take a couple of weeks to restore your uke back to good health.

You're not alone. Every winter you read identical posts here about sudden and strange problems with ukes. You're uke sounds like it's severely dehydrated. To begin with you can hang it in the bathroom when you take a hot shower. Alternatively you can put the uke in one of those big plastic bins (the kind that store under the bed are perfect) with a tight fitting lid. Wet down a sponge and put it in a bowl next to the uke. From then on take the proper precautions to humidify where the uke is kept, be it in the case, closet, room, etc. It could take a couple of weeks to restore your uke back to good health.

Thanks, that's definitely some great advice. I ordered a humidifier tonight, so I can keep it in my case. However, I doubt the hydration will fix the cracks it has now. Is that something I have to worry about for later?

Top Bottom