Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risa Les Paul tenor - with some very cool mods!

Default Risa Les Paul tenor - with some very cool mods!

Here is my Risa steel string ukulele - I changed the switch to a real Les Paul switchcraft 3-way, rewired the whole guitar, added Graphtech Ghost polyphonic saddles with the acoustic and midi preamps, and changed a few cosmetic details (I added different cream knobs, like those on a Klon KTR pedal and Gotoh mini cream tuner buttons since these photos were taken)

It now has humbuckers and piezo/acoustic sound from the 1/4" stereo jack, and humbuckers, piezo/acoustic, and midi signal from the 13-pin jack.

This uke can make just about any sound I want it to (electric, acoustic, synth, etc. alternate tunings, up or down 2 octaves, etc.).

It was a LOT of work in planning and patiently cutting into the instrument to get everything to fit right. I think it turned out well and I am enjoying it.

Really cool! When I used to be just a guitar player in the '80s, I always wanted a midi guitar. I never even THOUGHT of a midi ukulele!

I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I never even THOUGHT of a midi ukulele!
    I mod guitars for midi for fun - I figured why stop there, uke would be a lot of fun as well!

I modded a similar Risa with a GK pickup several years ago. Also recently modded a Godin with RMC polydrive 2 and a Godin with Graphtech Ghost, then this Risa.

Truly a lot of fun to mod them, and a LOT of enjoyment to play them! I hope to make more uke players aware of the fun sound possibilities with a midi uke!

Veeeerrrrrryyyyyyy Cool. I have noted some possible options that might work for one of those Chinese jazz uke I got as part of a group purchase here on UU.

Let me know if you want to chat about that Chinese jazz uke and fitting a midi system.

Very cool on the midi. I have the Sunburst and love it. I'm doing something similar just with the switch and knobs. I personally like everything as is, but the knobs being smooth and all round are not the best for that quick vibrato or tone change when you have the long sustain going. The action is just fantastic on it right from RISA. Didn't have to do a thing to it.

Pink Floyd, Scorpions, KISS, bring it on! ;-)

Cheers,
    Keep on Uke'n!
    Jay
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JayUkulele/videos
    https://bandhub.com/ukulelejay#/collabs
    --------------------------------------------------
    "I only need just one more..." final last words to wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidayno View Post
    Let me know if you want to chat about that Chinese jazz uke and fitting a midi system.
    Will do, but I'll probably need my luthier to do much of what you did. I am open to all possibilities at making it "all that it can be." I really bought it as a "blank canvass" because I love the style, color, etc. etc.

beautiful!
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Very nice. I am in the process of building a semihollow steel string hybrid (it's taking forever...) and I am on the fence regarding which piezo pickups to use. How do you like the Graphtechs?
    Thou Shalt Not.

I like the Graphtechs, but I went with them because of the midi option. Not sure if there are better saddles but I like the sound!

Thread Information