side trimming sled

Hluth

Reaction score
This is the way I rough-trim my sides to depth. I cut at an angle on a band saw as shown, then sand parallel to the top from the tail to about midpoint on a belt sander, and finish with a radius dish fitted with sandpaper.

This probably isn't a standard way to do this, but I've never seen how others do it.

sled1.jpg sled2.jpg sled3.jpg

I just make e'm the correct size to start with..and leave a bit on for sanding on the radius dish.

Oops, I just realized that my building process is different than most and it makes a lot of sense to start with the right depth. I establish neck alignment early in the build (somewhat like building a classical guitar with a Spanish heel) and need extra stock both top and bottom to get the right neck alignment and body depth. The instrument in the picture has integrated neck and sides (no joint at all) and also requires extra stock.

I saw similar pictures on your website several years ago and marvelled at the way you were going about some of the construction methods that were so different from anything I had seen prevously. It's so refreshing to see someone coming at a problem / solution from such a different perspective. Obviously getting outstanding results to may I add.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom