Thread: Humidifiers - when to use?

Default Humidifiers - when to use?

Having just bought a uke and read dire warnings on here regarding moisture levels, I also bought an hygrometer. I've moved it between rooms over a few days, and it seems to be reading between 44% and 50%. This is in winter, with central heating running at times. I suspect I don't really need to bother with an in-case or room humidifier, but would like to hear what other people think. I'm in Scotland.

44-50% sounds good to me. Below 40% indoors is when I get the humidifiers going.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Wow your humidity is perfect

I don't think it's as big of an issue as many make it but it is a factor if your humidity is extreme. IMO as an amature with some research behind me, I'd say you're real safe at 30=50% humidity unless some other factors are at play. I know a lot of folk who never bother and I haven't seen an serious issue yet.

That's good! I've never really given humidity a thought before, but it's handy to have the meter to check. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the year, and see how weather and the seasons affect it.

With guitars I've always been more cautious about trying to avoid extreme temperature changes and excessive heat (car boot in summer).

Thread Information