Neck joining options

Kevs-the-name

Reaction score
Hi there.

As part of my first build, I need to make an informed decision regarding the neck joining process.

I recognise that there is plenty of info already, and this has caused many argument etc! (I have used the search option!!!)

However, The kit that I purchased provided a ‘biscuit’ joint (with the suggestion of using araldite glue) although I can’t find any one who uses this option.

My neck is cut flush and the top and bottom of the box are sealed. - as yet, the fretboard is not attached.

What would YOU advise please?

Thanks in advance
KEV

Hi Sven, thanks for your links.

this looks like a great Jig. love the idea, just I don’t have the skills (yet)!

unfortunately, I have glued the top and bottom on already. I think it will be difficult to bolt from the inside?

Nah, with the right screw you could use an allen key with a ball end through the soundhole. No skills required. And you could get it done without a jig, just measure carefully. The advantage is you can check andadjust alignment as much as you need before glueing.

I take it that this method requires me to have some kind of ‘insert’ for the bolt to go in to?

no biscuit, no dowel?

which glue then?
thanks again

Threaded insert and bolt from ACe hardware- i do all this with the top and back on. easy

Use an anchor bolt: 1/4-20 thread on one end and wood screw on the other.
Strong, simple, one is enough.
Just make sure the it is the correct length.
You can reach inside with a socket and flex joint.

Hanger_bolt_headless_wood_screw.jpg

If you are going the cross dowel bolt route it is to your advantage to buy them from a pale like Rockler. The hardware store variety of the female part that I have come across are sat and poorly machined. They can hang up the bolt when you least want it to (ei: final assembly.)

Im new to this but if I was using hardware I would buy a tap an die and clean everything up before using it. I use the Spanish heel so Don't have any experience with using hardware to join the neck .

Top Bottom