Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Archtop Jazz style Tenor

If you work it so that the bridge assembly floats then it will be OK but if the bridge needs to be fixed you will have problems. If your going for linear tuning then tilting the bridge assembly should work but if you want reentrant tuning there won't be enough adjustability in that design to deal with the reentrant string.

A couple of years ago we did a group order here for arch top steel sting ukuleles from a builder in China. They used a somewhat similar bridge design and the number one problem with the design was that the bridge was fixed on in the wrong position.

Anthony

Wow ! Super useful information Anthony, I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with archtops. Sorry to hear about getting those ukes with glued bridges, what a disappointment. I didnt plan on gluing this bridge as that's the beauty of a floating bridge, you loosen the strings and can adjust them. The plan is to go with low 'G' tuning for this and tilt the bridge back as you mentioned. As I get on with making the bridge I can use advice on adding a little compensation to the bone saddle when I shape it. Also there's no radius on the fingerboard. Does the low G string buzz more or less when using steel and nylon? Thanks again, -Vince

Hello everyone, I hope you are all safe and in good health. We're home (quarantined) and in the middle of going through boxes I came upon my unfinished Jazz Uke. I plan on getting back to this and look forward to hearing from fellow members. Take care, Vince

You don't know how I wish I had a CNC machine, but at least I have a great builder in Eric's Guitar near me. Your project is fascinating, I'll keep watch of your progress. I was the spearhead for the group buy that Anthony mentioned. After all was said and done, I'm glad we only paid $165 each for an order of 20 instead of $400 for one from the Chinese company, or $750 from Kamoa in Hawaii for the exact same one, since they were not all that well built, on mine, the metal saddle was for a 6 string with dents added for a 4 string. I changed the tailpiece and knobs and ended up selling mine a couple months later.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-01-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Some of my arch top ukulele over the years
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUQw1KnEurJMvK5C9

Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Hello Michael, I read with interest the details of the group buy of archtops. Thanks for posting a picture of yours, I wonder what kind of weight balance it has, with the pickups, vol & tone pots, tail piece and bridge all adding their small part. The shape is very Les Paul like, and if I saw one on a hanger in a shop, I'd definitely reach for it and check it out.
    Hi Brad, your archtops are really cool, thanks for posting!
    I've been going thru my original drawings of the Jazz Uke and filling in missing information, it was a bit scattered as I made changes along the way during the build. I found a better top carving file which I forgot I had created. Its not completely smooth but it gets me more than halfway there, a lot further along than the 1st stair-stepped cut file. (See pic of simulation attached) I don't remember actually cutting this newer file of the top on the CNC. The 1st pass rough cut on the CNC takes 17 minutes, the 2nd Finish Cut takes 22 minutes. I may cut a top over the next coming week as I'm curious to see the outcome, I have the wood on hand here and certainly the time. Stay safe everyone. -Vince
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JustVince; 04-03-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustVince View Post
    ...I wonder what kind of weight balance it has, with the pickups, vol & tone pots, tail piece and bridge all adding their small part. The shape is very Les Paul like...
    If I remember, it's been over six years, the balance was not a problem. It was also not quite tenor size, slightly shorter. Yes, Les Paul is a good comparison. They also have a double cutaway.

Thread Information