Fingerpicking On The Rogue Baritone Ukulele

drbekken

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBHrxclfr8

Ok, folks, here's a very short video to let all you people who wonder whether or not to try a baritone ukulele know that the Rogue, with its very low price, is an alternative to consider. I do know it's not in any way a 'professional standard' instrument, but with a little tweaking, it will be playable and kinda sweet-sounding. If you enjoy playing the baritone, you will in all likelihood move on to better ukuleles, but if not, you haven't been set back much, and you can give it away to people, schools, institutions or whoever you want...

My new Rogue baritone was delivered yesterday. I had one last year for a while (until some dumb@ss stole it, lol), and you're right.... they can be good instruments with a little love. So, I ordered some Aquilla replacement strings when I ordered the uke. The first things I did to it was take off the strings, give it a good dose of fret board conditioner, tighten up the tuners, install buttons for a strap, and put on the new strings.

I'm kinda new to this whole picking thing. Since I play the uke (badly) to distract folks (victims) from my (awful) singing, my interest in picking is pretty much defined by "stuff I can sing (torture people) to".

The strings I ordered are baritone GCEA strings. Love the bari sound, hate the fingering... Anyway, the strings are a little ... floppy... compared to standard baritone strings, but they actually sound quite nice. I was playing it today and found the GCEA set was terrible for strumming, but very nice for picking if you have a soft touch. In a day or two (when the strings have settled a bit) I'm looking forward to recording a few songs.

I'm guessing it needed a setup when you got it? What strings are on it? Nice playing in the video!

I really like the tone of that instrument. It has tonnes of character. I'm very late to the party in enjoying older and cheaper instruments but never too late to start I guess. I am seriously considering buying one. Your wonderful clips have finally worn me down brother!!!!!

I really like the tone of that instrument. It has tonnes of character. I'm very late to the party in enjoying older and cheaper instruments but never too late to start I guess. I am seriously considering buying one. Your wonderful clips have finally worn me down brother!!!!!

Thank you, Jon... I don't really know why I happen to like instruments like the Rogue baritone. But somehow, the sound and feel appeals to me. The downside concerning the Rogue is that you do not really know what you get when you order it. It might indeed be a nice little instrument, or; it will take a good deal of work to make it playable.

I'm guessing it needed a setup when you got it? What strings are on it? Nice playing in the video!

Yeah, I lowered the action at both ends. The strings in the video are GHS regular baritone strings; two wound strings and two black nylon. Linear DGBE tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom